bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Age Abiding Correction/Age Abiding Life  (Read 5964 times)

G. Driggs

Age Abiding Correction/Age Abiding Life
« on: September 04, 2012, 08:36:10 PM »

Hey all,

Ive always been content in knowing that words like "eternal" and "for ever" are not properly translated in most translations. But I don't think I've every really completely understood it.  I've read and reread Ray's papers on it but somehow the answer always eludes me. So my question is, if "age abiding correction" comes to an end, why doesn't "age abiding life"?  Or is the "age abiding correction" part of Mat 25:46 in the singular as in one age and the "age abiding life" part is in the plural as in living through all the ages that will ever come?

Mat 25:46 And, these, shall go away, into, age-abiding, correction, but, the righteous, into, age-abiding, life. (Rotherhams)

How do I know how many ages each part of that verse is talking about? Is there a second witness that will explain it? Or did Ray explain it somewhere? And how does immortality fit into all this?

Please understand that I believe Jesus will save the everyone eventually. I just want to understand this for not only myself but in case I would want to explain it to someone else.

John from Kentucky

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Age Abiding Correction/Age Abiding Life
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:50:38 PM »

Hey all,

Ive always been content in knowing that words like "eternal" and "for ever" are not properly translated in most translations. But I don't think I've every really completely understood it.  I've read and reread Ray's papers on it but somehow the answer always eludes me. So my question is, if "age abiding correction" comes to an end, why doesn't "age abiding life"?  Or is the "age abiding correction" part of Mat 25:46 in the singular as in one age and the "age abiding life" part is in the plural as in living through all the ages that will ever come?

Mat 25:46 And, these, shall go away, into, age-abiding, correction, but, the righteous, into, age-abiding, life. (Rotherhams)

How do I know how many ages each part of that verse is talking about? Is there a second witness that will explain it? Or did Ray explain it somewhere? And how does immortality fit into all this?

Please understand that I believe Jesus will save the everyone eventually. I just want to understand this for not only myself but in case I would want to explain it to someone else.

Here is an email on the subject.  Does this help?

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6906.0.html

G. Driggs

Re: Age Abiding Correction/Age Abiding Life
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 11:36:49 PM »

Yes it does help a lot. Here is a quote that help me understand a little better from that email you linked.

Quote from: L. Ray Smith
  COMMENT:  Again, "everlasting punishment" is not a proper translation. It should be "eonian or age-lasting, or age-abiding, chastisement."  This is not the normal word for "punishment." It comes from the root to cut or prune as in pruning a tree, not to destroy it, not to torture it, not to punish it, but so that it will PRODUCE FRUIT--hence "chastisement," as opposed to "punishment." And the righteous will receive "eonian/age-lasting" life.  This unique life is the life promised by Jesus to those who will reign and rule and judge with Jesus, a thousand years. They do NOT reign with Christ for all eternity, hence it is "eonian" life, not "eternal" life, which is unscriptural. Jesus HIMSELF does not reign "eternally."
    Jesus only reigns "until" He has put down all enemies and brought the whole Universe into subject to God's righteousness (See Isa. 26:9, I Cor. 15:26-28, etc.).

We will, in fact, live forever, but not because Jesus promised "everlasting" or "eternal" life, as there is no such Scripture, but we will live on beyond the reign of Jesus just as He will, because God has promised us "IMMORTALITY" which means "dealth-less-ness," not "eternity." We will NEVER die.

So basically age abiding correction and age abiding life are both talking about just one age? We will continue to live past this age because we are given immortality, we just wont be reining with Christ anymore. Ok I got it. Thanks a bunch John for the link.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.