bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Was Jesus a Jew  (Read 6124 times)

dave

Was Jesus a Jew
« on: September 05, 2012, 09:23:16 PM »

Just a question. Perhaps it is a silly question, but any thoughts or info would be nice. Perhaps it has been discussed.
Was Jesus a Jew? The reason I ask is where does the Jewish heritage come into play. Jesus is the Son of the Father(God.) Is God a Jew? I understand the SEED as one, not many. And Gen 9:9  And I, behold, I establish my covenant with you, and with your seed after you;
Gen_15:18  In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:
Gen_16:10  And the angel of the LORD said unto her, I will multiply thy seed exceedingly, that it shall not be numbered for multitude.
The first time Jew is mentioned in the Bible is Est_2:5  Now in Shushan the palace there was a certain Jew, whose name was Mordecai, the son of Jair, the son of Shimei, the son of Kish, a Benjamite;
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 01:23:34 AM by micah7:9 »

onelovedread

Re: Was Jesus a Jew
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 10:50:31 PM »

Micah,
In one sense, there is definitely the question as to whether Jesus was a Jew - by descent.
Matthew 1: 1: "This is the genealogy of Jesus the Messiah the son of David, the son of Abraham:..."
And Abraham, through his sons Ishmael and Isaac, is considered the spiritual father of Jews, Christians, (and Muslims).
The only problem is that the Bible doesn't state where Abraham was born.
Abraham first appears in the Bible in Genesis 11:27 as Abram.
His dad, Terah, a descendant of Noah's son Shem, had three children: Abram, Nahor, and Haran.
Genesis 11:28 states that Abram's youngest brother, Haran, died in a place called Ur of the Chaldeans in the land of his birth. (It does not say that Abraham was born in Ur.)
And, where was this place called Ur of the Chaldeans?
Not even scholars and researchers are sure of its location.

Joel

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 11:50:06 PM »

Jew is derived from the name Juda.
Hebrews 7:14 For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.
Revelations 5:5 And one of the elders saith unto me, weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.
Genesis 49:10 The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be.

Romans 2:29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men , but of God.
Matthew 27:37 And set up over his head his accusation written, THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

Joel

John from Kentucky

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 11:53:04 PM »

Jesus had a human mother.  Her genealogy is listed in the Gospel of Luke.  Her descent is from the tribe of Judah.  Jewish mother, Jewish Son.

dave

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 12:24:32 AM »

The blood of the child comes from the father.

John from Kentucky

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 12:45:42 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm going to make a wild guess here.  You didn't make good grades in your high school Biology class.  Right?

P.S.  Here is an email from Ray touching on this subject.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,4103.msg31370.html#msg31370
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:57:24 AM by John from Kentucky »

newgene87

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 01:02:30 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm going to make a wild guess here.  You didn't make good grades in your high school Biology class.  Right?

Okay what does this mean? This joke flew over my head because I'm always learning as well. Can you expound on this? I always wondered why give the lineage of Joseph (in Matthew) "if" he's not the human Father, why take the time to give his lineage? Regardless, he was a "Jew", born in the culture, raised in the Culture, under the Descendants of Israel, and the reign of the kingdom of Judah. He was Jew, according to the flesh

Eugene

dave

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 01:22:46 AM »

I was just a thought, but what Ray stated does not bring it all together.  I got lousy grades in in biology, so what. There was nothing identifying a lineage to a Jew, it was a seed. Gen 9:9  And I, behold, I establish my covenant with you, and with your seed after you;
Gen_15:18  In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:
Gen_16:10  And the angel of the LORD said unto her, I will multiply thy seed exceedingly, that it shall not be numbered for multitude.
Other than the blood, where there could be debate, why is there no mention of a jewish lineage or Jew prior to EST. 2:5? Just what makes Jesus a Jew? I am not anti Jew just wondering.
Other than Hebrews 7:14 For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.
He sprang out of Juda? Also why did Jesus have to be a Jew?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 01:29:47 AM by micah7:9 »

gregorydc

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 08:59:48 AM »

It does not matter if Jesus was a Jew or not he is our saviour.  Jesus said ,God could raise children of Abraham out of these rocks, so why does it matter if he was a Jew or not. We are all made from the same lump of clay, we all started from the same place Jew,or gentile from birth doesn't matter. But for sake of your question, maybe what a Jew is is what you need answered. Then you would know if it should matter or not. Sorry if I have offeneded you, just my opinion.
Greg

dave

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 10:14:13 AM »

I got it ....it was a forest and trees thing. Me so dumb :(

gregorydc

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 10:59:34 AM »

Sorry but to actually answer your question according to Paul he was a Jew born of children of Israel and circumcised on the eighth day. Which means nothing but he was also circumcised in heart and mind also so he was a true Jew
Greg

Foxx

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 11:56:47 AM »

The word Jew was not used to describe a Hebrew person or someone who believed in Judaism, at least not during Jesus' time. The word Jew didn't even come into creation until hundreds of years later. Jesus was Judean, from Galilee. And others stated, his bloodline originated from the tribe of Juda, a descendant of King David, born in Bethlehem. In John the people that Jesus was teaching even said these very things and then added when the real messiah comes, will he perform more miracles than this man has?' 

But as you said earlier Micah, yes the forest for the trees. There is value to his heritage but only because god chose the tribe of Judah to be the method by which Jesus would be born and save us. Of course if I'm wrong feel free to correct me, anyone.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 03:18:23 AM »

[Ray answers an email about Who Are the Jews and Gentiles]

Adam was NOT a Jew, Abraham was NOT a Jew, but he was an Hebrew,   Hebrews are NOT Jews, Gentiles are NOT descendant from Jews or Israel, Jesus, Peter, and Paul WERE Jews.

First there was Adam and Eve. They and their descendants were not called Jews or Gentiles.

After the flood we have but three sons of Noah: Shem, Ham and Japeth.  Shem [Hebrew is "SM," no vowels in Hebrew writing, plus "ith" a feminine ending = SM-ith or Smith, just threw that in for fun).

Shem's linage goes like this: Shem begat Arphaxad, who begat Salah, who begat Eber. Eber or Heber is the forefather of all HEBREWS.

Eber (or Heber the Hebrew) then begat Peleg who begat Reu, who begat Serug, who begat Nahor, who begat Terrah and Terah begat Abram whose name God changed to Abraham (Gen. 17:5).

So far we can see that Abraham was of the line of Eber/Heber, and is IS a Hebrew, but He is NOT a Jew, because as of this time there were still NO Jews in the world.

Abram (whose name God changed to Abraham) begat Isaac. Isaac, therefore, too was an Hebrew from the line of Eber/Heber, the Hebrew.

Next Isaac's wife Rebekah had twins: Esau and Jacob (Gen. 25:19-26). And so Esau and Jacob were also Hebrews, but not Jews or Gentiles, because NO ONE at this time in History was called a Jew or a Gentile.

Next Jacob's name was changed by God to the name Israel (Gen. 32:28).

Now we come to Jacob's children and descendants:  Jacob/Israel had TWELVE sons (Gen. 35:22), and here they are (by different wives, however):  Reuben, Simeon, Levi (whose descendants became the Levital Priests in Moses' time), Judah, Issachar, Zebulun, Joseph, Benjamin, Dan, Naphtali, Gad, and Asher--twelve in all.

Ah, did you notice "Judah" in there? Now we have come to THE VERY FIRST JEW IN HISTORY. Judah's name was never changed, however, his descendants became known as "JEWS"--sort of a nickname.

In Gen. 46:8, we read that all of Israel's (former 'Jacob') sons are called: "The CHILDREN of Israel."  And so ALL of the millions of descendants of Jacob/Israel are called the CHILDREN of Israel. You will see this term "CHILDREN of Israel" repeated hundreds of times, and now you will know exactly who they are and where they came from.

After the CHILDREN of Israel came out of slavery in Egypt, it became customary to refer nations other than the nation of Israel as "goy." This term merely mean "the OTHER nations." And so broadly speaking, there are Israel/Israelites/nation of Israel,  and the OTHER nations that are NOT descendant from the children of Israel. They were usually called "Gentiles."

The Levitical priests came from Israel's son, Levi.

Kind David was a Jew of the tribe of Judah.

Jesus Christ came from Israel's son, Judah.

The Apostle Paul came from Israel's son, Benjamin.

And so before Abraham/Isaac's son, Jacob, there was not such thing as "Israel or Jews." Jacob was the father of ALL Israelites, and the father of ALL Jews. Hence all Jews are Israelites because they came from Jacob/Israel, but not all Israelites are Jews, because only ONE of the twelve children gave birth to all Jews. In the same way that all Floridians are Americans, but not all Americans are Floridians.

Interestingly, the descendants of Eber/Heber/Hebrew are not know as 'Hebrews' in today's world, but are thought to be Gentiles. Today's 'Jews' of Los Angeles, New York and the State of Israel may be a combination of original Jews, Israelite, Hebrews, and some may even be Gentiles and they just don't know it, since all those who practice the religion of Judaism are known as "Jews" regardless of their racial heritage.

Every since Jesus began to build His Church, mostly Gentiles have been called into this Church, with only a small remnant of Jews.  But God reckons all Gentiles who are following his spiritual laws to be Spiritual Jews (Rom. 2:27-29) and Spiritual Israel (Gal. 6:16). Paul told the Gentile Philippians that, "WE (including these Gentile Philippian converts) ARE THE CIRCUMCISION (Phil. 3:2). Therefore (we spiritually circumcised and spiritually baptized Gentiles), "...if ye be Christ's, then are ye ABRAHAM'S SEED, and HEIRS according to the promise" (The promise given to Abraham that he would become a great company of nations). (Gal. 3:29). These physical Gentile Galatians as well as WE, becomes accounted as Abraham's Seed, if we obey God in faith as the "father of the faithful, Abraham" did.

Today the remaining descendants of Israel (the eleven tribes other than Judah--the Jews) are known as "The LOST Tribes of Israel," as most historians do now know where they went. I have some pretty solid historical knowledge as to where they did move and who these Tribles or Children of Israel are today.

Hope this helps your understanding.

Ray

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

dave

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 10:14:12 AM »

[Ray answers an email about Who Are the Jews and Gentiles]

Adam was NOT a Jew, Abraham was NOT a Jew, but he was an Hebrew,   Hebrews are NOT Jews, Gentiles are NOT descendant from Jews or Israel, Jesus, Peter, and Paul WERE Jews.

First there was Adam and Eve. They and their descendants were not called Jews or Gentiles.

After the flood we have but three sons of Noah: Shem, Ham and Japeth.  Shem [Hebrew is "SM," no vowels in Hebrew writing, plus "ith" a feminine ending = SM-ith or Smith, just threw that in for fun).

Shem's linage goes like this: Shem begat Arphaxad, who begat Salah, who begat Eber. Eber or Heber is the forefather of all HEBREWS.

Eber (or Heber the Hebrew) then begat Peleg who begat Reu, who begat Serug, who begat Nahor, who begat Terrah and Terah begat Abram whose name God changed to Abraham (Gen. 17:5).

So far we can see that Abraham was of the line of Eber/Heber, and is IS a Hebrew, but He is NOT a Jew, because as of this time there were still NO Jews in the world.

Abram (whose name God changed to Abraham) begat Isaac. Isaac, therefore, too was an Hebrew from the line of Eber/Heber, the Hebrew.

Next Isaac's wife Rebekah had twins: Esau and Jacob (Gen. 25:19-26). And so Esau and Jacob were also Hebrews, but not Jews or Gentiles, because NO ONE at this time in History was called a Jew or a Gentile.

Next Jacob's name was changed by God to the name Israel (Gen. 32:28).

Now we come to Jacob's children and descendants:  Jacob/Israel had TWELVE sons (Gen. 35:22), and here they are (by different wives, however):  Reuben, Simeon, Levi (whose descendants became the Levital Priests in Moses' time), Judah, Issachar, Zebulun, Joseph, Benjamin, Dan, Naphtali, Gad, and Asher--twelve in all.

Ah, did you notice "Judah" in there? Now we have come to THE VERY FIRST JEW IN HISTORY. Judah's name was never changed, however, his descendants became known as "JEWS"--sort of a nickname.

In Gen. 46:8, we read that all of Israel's (former 'Jacob') sons are called: "The CHILDREN of Israel."  And so ALL of the millions of descendants of Jacob/Israel are called the CHILDREN of Israel. You will see this term "CHILDREN of Israel" repeated hundreds of times, and now you will know exactly who they are and where they came from.

After the CHILDREN of Israel came out of slavery in Egypt, it became customary to refer nations other than the nation of Israel as "goy." This term merely mean "the OTHER nations." And so broadly speaking, there are Israel/Israelites/nation of Israel,  and the OTHER nations that are NOT descendant from the children of Israel. They were usually called "Gentiles."

The Levitical priests came from Israel's son, Levi.

Kind David was a Jew of the tribe of Judah.

Jesus Christ came from Israel's son, Judah.

The Apostle Paul came from Israel's son, Benjamin.

And so before Abraham/Isaac's son, Jacob, there was not such thing as "Israel or Jews." Jacob was the father of ALL Israelites, and the father of ALL Jews. Hence all Jews are Israelites because they came from Jacob/Israel, but not all Israelites are Jews, because only ONE of the twelve children gave birth to all Jews. In the same way that all Floridians are Americans, but not all Americans are Floridians.

Interestingly, the descendants of Eber/Heber/Hebrew are not know as 'Hebrews' in today's world, but are thought to be Gentiles. Today's 'Jews' of Los Angeles, New York and the State of Israel may be a combination of original Jews, Israelite, Hebrews, and some may even be Gentiles and they just don't know it, since all those who practice the religion of Judaism are known as "Jews" regardless of their racial heritage.

Every since Jesus began to build His Church, mostly Gentiles have been called into this Church, with only a small remnant of Jews.  But God reckons all Gentiles who are following his spiritual laws to be Spiritual Jews (Rom. 2:27-29) and Spiritual Israel (Gal. 6:16). Paul told the Gentile Philippians that, "WE (including these Gentile Philippian converts) ARE THE CIRCUMCISION (Phil. 3:2). Therefore (we spiritually circumcised and spiritually baptized Gentiles), "...if ye be Christ's, then are ye ABRAHAM'S SEED, and HEIRS according to the promise" (The promise given to Abraham that he would become a great company of nations). (Gal. 3:29). These physical Gentile Galatians as well as WE, becomes accounted as Abraham's Seed, if we obey God in faith as the "father of the faithful, Abraham" did.

Today the remaining descendants of Israel (the eleven tribes other than Judah--the Jews) are known as "The LOST Tribes of Israel," as most historians do now know where they went. I have some pretty solid historical knowledge as to where they did move and who these Tribles or Children of Israel are today.

Hope this helps your understanding.

Ray

And again thanks  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 23 queries.