bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any hunters/survivalists here?  (Read 3959 times)

Shawn Fainn

Any hunters/survivalists here?
« on: September 19, 2012, 10:12:15 AM »

Looking for some advice on basic necessities/tools.. Maybe even a suggestion on a good book to read.

onelovedread

Re: Any hunters/survivalists here?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 10:47:40 AM »

Hey Hudson,
I could give you my Stop and Shop Supermarket card. They hunt and you gather. All you have to do is pay at the cash register and haul your meat home. ;D
Sorry man, I couldn't resist. But you've always had a sense of humor.

GaryK

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »

Looking for some advice on basic necessities/tools..

Hudson,

A man could turn his house into a supermarket of ‘necessities’ with enough imagination.

Flour and meal.   

55 gallon water barrel(“S”)..... with hand-siphoning pump

Crisco shortening

Rice

Sugar

Canned meat with long expiration dates (shelf life)

Water purifier tablets

Paper plates, towels, disposable cutlery

Plastic bags, lots of’em (you’ll figure out very quickly their use)

Shovel

Candles, flashlights, propane lantern and camping stove (preferably both that can connect to a gas grill type propane tank, there’s connections you can purchase to do this)

Live in the country?.........a whole nuther list could be added.

Family?.........grow your list.

Have animals?.................yet another list.

The list could go on and on and on but you’d be surprised how quickly you’ll adapt to very basic ‘never taken to mind staples’.

Water, above all.   If you have animals, expand your water supply greatly.

There’s nothing wrong about being prepared, or even over-prepared, for short-term emergency.

But above all, John is right. 

But then again, even squirrels and ants can teach humans about survival and food rationing.

Maybe even a suggestion on a good book to read.

To use an over-used coined phrase: 'google is your friend'.

Hope this gets you started.

gk

arion

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 05:44:13 PM »

Back in the old days during the depression era it wasn't called being a survivalist or a prepper but trying to have a full pantry to see them through hard times was normal.  And brother, do we have hard times on the horizon.  With food prices, ect going up double digits every year it's wise and prudent to purchase in bulk to save money and to lay in a larder as much as you can.  One also needs to take into consideration what area of the country they live in and what actions to take to mitigate certain threat conditions.  Those of you who live along the Gulf are going to take different steps then those of us who live up in big snow country such as I do.  Along the gulf they might want to store potable water, plywood for the windows and stuff needed for a hurricane so they don't need to be part of the masses who run to the store with every storm and don't learn to prepare ahead of times.  In my area of the country a good woodstove and a full wood pile is essential.  All things in moderation. 

Pro 6:6-9  Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise:  Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler, Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest.

Kat

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 06:53:04 PM »

Hi Hudson,

Along the line of what Arion was saying... prep what you use and use what you prep. I don't go along with the idea of putting in a supply of food to last for 10 yrs. Just take into consideration what you would need if you were unable to go to the store.

I have found the key is to look at expiration dates and then only buy what you can use by that time. So you would need to keep the older stuff rotated to the front and use that first. You can find charts on the internet that will show you the shelf life on most staples.

It's nice to have a well stocked pantry, so you can be frugal and shop when things are on sale. Then you can stock up the quantity of those things on sale that you think you can use before they expire. Throughout the year you can find most things will go on sale.  This is a good way for me save money.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

gregorydc

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 12:01:09 AM »

I like to hunt and "play" at the survival game. The army surplus store we have here has a lot of survival books in them. One of the best books I have read is a botanical book of edible plants for the area I live in. I knew what many of the plants were "named" from my parents I just had to make sure everything lined up with what the book said and my parents said. There are many things that make handy tools. There is a survival kit that fits in and altoids tin on up to people using 55gal plastic barrels to put beans, flour, and rice in. It all depends on how far you are willing to go and for how long.  Every one here gave you sound advice it all depends how long you plan on being without, and where you live. The hunting part what are you hunting? Big animals small animals? You can use snares, many types of traps, firearms, archery equipment, the list can keep on going.  You tube and google are great spots to find and watch about survivalist tactics and uses of equipment. Have you ever heard of a survival bracelet? Look at those on youtube those are pretty intricate, and easily made things to play with you can make or buy.  I have a back pack with a small stove, matches,fuel, knives, string, rope, fishing gear, pots n pans, water bags, ponchos, and a few other odds and ends that I take with us when we go camping so we can use them in a practical setting in case we have to use them. Mostly its playing with adult style toys! Lol. Anyway anything I can help you with just "holler" . I do like this stuff, yes I do!
Greg

Duane

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 03:36:33 AM »

In the case of a "cataclysmic event", I want to be the first to go!  I don't want to be around trying to survive--I've done that all of my life!  I watched the show "The Colony" and I wouldn't want to be in that group. 
God, PLEEEZE,  take me home in the resurrection!

Shawn Fainn

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 01:17:20 PM »

Thanks for the advice guys. I've been mainly focusing on some short-term ideas right now (bottled water and dry/canned goods), but also looking at eventually planning for long-term as well. I figure it doesn't hurt to be prepared, either way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.