bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nailing down the term ''Spirit''.  (Read 5109 times)

acomplishedartis

Nailing down the term ''Spirit''.
« on: October 09, 2012, 06:16:30 AM »

1.   (n.) Spirit
the animating principle of life, esp. of humans; vital essence.

spirit
a supernatural, incorporeal being, esp. one having a particular character:
evil spirits.
2.   spirit
an attitude or principle that pervades thought, stirs one to action, etc.:
the spirit of reform

4. (noun) spirit
the vital principle or animating force within living things
5. spirit
a fundamental emotional and activating principle determining one’s character

b. A causative, activating, or essential principle
the influence of God or divine things upon the soul
the fundamental, emotional, and activating principle of a person; will the experience broke his spirit

7. that which constitutes a person’s intangible being as contrasted with his physical presence: I shall be with you in spirit

Just wondering how you guys would show, compare, explain the term spirit?

It seems to me that there is more than one type of description of the term spirit in the Scriptures. It's just hard for the mind to be able to think clearly with such 'open for interpretation' word like spirit.

Here is a description of the term spirit that denotes more an attitude
1 Corinthians 4:21
What do you want? Shall I come to you with a rod, or in love and a spirit of gentleness?

2 Timothy 1:7
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

And here is description of the term spirit that denotes more the essence or 'vital principle' of a person

1 John 4:1
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Colossians 2:5
For though I am absent in the flesh, yet I am with you in spirit, rejoicing to see your good order and the steadfastness of your faith in Christ.

An this is the last most misterious description/type of the term spirit that I can see; when is like talking about a being on his own:

Acts 19:15
And the evil spirit answered and said, “Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are you?”

Ephesians 6:12
For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Well, that should be enough just to start... I don't expect all the answers about the whole subject at hand, I just want to start a conversation on the subject and see if somebody have something else to share. This has been on my mind for already a long time, so...

(if there is no comments it's okay, I will keep on my search on my own).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 03:40:36 AM by Moises G. »

longhorn

Re: Nailing down the term ''Spirit''. (Open jut in case that you care)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 06:27:40 PM »

My head exploded

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 07:09:09 PM »

Moises wrote;
Colossians 2:5
For though I am absent in the flesh, yet I am with you in spirit, rejoicing to see your good order and the steadfastness of your faith in Christ.

Translation: you are in my thoughts and I know in my own mind that you are faithful to Christ. So also you may know absolutely in your own thoughts that I am with you, that I care for you and so we are as one in "spirit" in that we think alike by God's grace.

The other consideration in my opinion is that in some manner, God's spirit is operating or functioning in the human mind, IF SO BE that God has given us a "heart" of understanding.

It is like we each are connected to the internet, full time, and we can exchange thoughts automatically and without typing on the key board, just by remembering that we love the other person.
After all the human mind does operate via electric signals transmitted along nerve pathways AND if my mind is connected, spiritually, to God's frequency and your mind is connected to God's frequency as well, then THROUGH God's spirit we may be as one.

I think it is as simple as when we truly love someone without reservation, God opens a channel in our mind that allows us to connect to the whole of God's family. WE still need to have a true familiarization with other persons, but that comes from living and working together with a common goal. We still need to know their "internet address" so to speak, but then the messages go along proscribed channels automatically without our doing anything physical to cause it.

acomplishedartis

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 01:56:13 AM »

My head exploded

haha, I know what you mean.

Well. This is just starting...

acomplishedartis

Re: Nailing down the term ''Spirit''. (Open just in case you care)
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 07:28:43 AM »

Bob, thanks for the reply, I can be able to see how people with same spirit are all wired, often, even when they have never met before, somehow they feel as if they already knew each other.

This theme is not so simple to assimilate since we are talking about something INVISIBLE. I could try to explain more with my own words, but since I find myself on this forum and since Ray already word it on less words that I would have used; I am going to quote him (from his emails) on blue letters.

Bob, I agree that in certain verses of the Scriptures the word spirit can also be taken as an expression to convey certain attitude or connexion in us. I agree that we are not spirits. The spirit in all humans doesn't have consciousness on it's own (Ecc. 9:5). 

''Every person (and animal) has a “spirit.”  There is no life without spirit. At death OUR spirit return to our God Who gave it to us. Spirit does not die. But, spirit has no consciousness of its own. It must be united with a body. That is why there is coming a Resurrection of the DEAD. Adam’s body had the spirit of God breathed into it and then Adam became a LIVING SOUL.  God’s Holy Spirit is His Spirit of Holiness which imparts spiritual knowledge and spiritual character to those who possess it. The wicked and unbelievers have a spirit that keeps them alive, but they have no spiritual perception of spiritual truths because they do not possess the Holy Spirit of God living in us through Jesus Christ our Lord.''

''ALL men (and animals) have a spirit. This spirit gives life to the body and produces soul (feelings, thinking, emotions, etc.). But God dwells in our hearts and minds by way of His HOLY Spirit, which is a different spirit.''

So we all have a spirit that keeps us alive. Now. We humans can be influenced and affected by different spirits; one could be God's holy spirit. (Ha,and where is any free-will on that?)

''Jesus is the Personification of the Holy Spirit (His SPIRIT FATHER living IN Him). Therefore, the Person Jesus is the “He and the Him,” not the Spirit of God in Him. God the Father OWNS, if you will, His OWN Spirit. It belongs TO Him. IT is HIS. The Holy Spirit DOES NOT OWN GOD THE FATHER. Can you see and understand that? God HAS a spirit. The Holy Spirit DOES NOT HAVE A GOD, therefore, it is an IT, and not a HE or a HIM.''

So the holy spirit of God is like a force, activating principle, essence, extra energy along with God's characteristics that are given to a few on different meassures as they try to live a godly life. And how come God is Spirit and does have consciousness?

''I never said that no spirit has consciousness. OUR spirit has no consciousness. God IS Spirit and God is conscious, but we are NOT GOD. We only have a form of spirit in us to keep us alive. When converted God gives us yet ANOTHER SPIRIT which is called the HOLY Spirit, and it effects out consciousness, but does not keep us conscious at death, as that requires resurrection.''

ME THINKS THAT WE ALL HUMANS ARE AFFECTED BY SPIRITS, BEHIND OUR PRETTY, NOT SO PRETTY OR UGLY FACE, WE ARE ALL AFFECTED ON DIFFERENT MEASSURES BY THE EFFECTS (ON DIFERENT QUANTITIES) OF DIFERENT SPIRITS.

So the daily battle is mainly against powers and spiritual hosts of wickedness in our minds. This is why we must tests the spirits...

Needles to say, all Hollywood and Christendom terms and physical representations of Spirit are deadly wrong. We all know that an image with gradual transparency, still, is not invisible. And depicting people alive (therefore with a spirit still) with no physical body (well, some say they get it back somehow), eternally tortured in physical fire is totally illogical according to the Scriptures and from my point of view, people who believe that to heart is just being highly influenced by a spirit.

Parables and representations that help us to explain the term spirit are very helpful. If somebody have thought or knows of another good one...

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 04:41:42 AM by Moises G. »

Foxx

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 10:01:28 AM »

Moises...my brain just nuked...awesome stuff. I don't remember this from Ray's writings!

acomplishedartis

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 04:22:38 PM »

Moises...my brain just nuked...awesome stuff. I don't remember this from Ray's writings!

It's on the email responses. Yeah is great stuff, I am studying this stuff right now.

Any help, correction, comment or addition is appreciated...

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
Re: Nailing down the term ''Spirit''.
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 09:13:04 PM »

Hey Moises,
This is a tough one! Spirit seems to describe everything that is intangible, invisible but recognized!
What is spirit?
If someone was to ask me, I would anwser in that way.
What are you exactly looking for in your study?
Good luck Moises
Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

acomplishedartis

Re: Nailing down the term ''Spirit''.
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 06:47:31 AM »

Akira,I am just looking for Clarity. To be able to understand fully this concepts, so clearly that I can be able to talk about it on a way that is simple to understand even so these things are kind of complex.

So far:

-The term 'spirit' can be used for an attitude, as with: 'the spirit of gentleness', 'spirit of kindnesses', 'spirit of fear', etc.

-All humans have a spirit that keeps them alive, and this spirit returns to God when we die.

-There are Spirits with consciousness that have intelligence. For example God almighty and Satan the devil who is a carnal-minded spirit (since he deal with material things). And like good and bad spirits who are messengers (with names).

-Also God who is Spirit, posses a spirit of Holiness, and this spirit (force, activating principle, this essence, extra energy) can be able to highly influence us to acquire certain attitudes, like patience, kindness, self control, LOVE that is pure, etc.

Now. IN HOW MUCH PROPORTION ARE WE ACTUALLY AFFECTED BY SPIRITUAL BEINGS?

We can't deal with physical images or physical locations when trying to understand the spiritual realm. It all happens in our minds.

Demons do not want you to trust God for the salvation of all humanity, and so they are placing doubts in your mind about everything.

God is quite capable of saving all humanity and all of the heavenly host including all demonic forces.  He will not loose ANYTHING that He has created for a purpose. They will ALL fulfill His purpose. You, Tina, have a purpose in God's Kingdom. There are evil forces that want to discourage you realizing that calling and purpose. I will pray that God will rebuke these evil forces causing you discouragement.  Remember, it is through MUCH tribulation that we enter the Kingdom of God. 

Trust me, Tina, God is not punishing you for not going to your husband's church. Study and pray daily for God's guidance in your life. Listen to GOD'S WORD and not to demons whispering in your ear!  Let me know how else I can help you, Tina. You will be all right!   Sincerely,Ray

We are learning to judge not. I think that if we would realize that a lot of people stupid belief systems come from the direct influence of bad spirits, we would think it twice before expecting that a short comment/correction will change their whole life style,

Heb. 2:5--"For unto the ANGELS has He not put in subjection the world to come."  Ah, did you catch that?  Unlike the "world today," the "world to come," will NOT be under the subjection of angels. Satan is pretends to be "an angel of light" in this world's nations, but not so in the "world to come."

There are people that are affected on bigger and smaller proportions by bad spirits, sometimes there are possesions. In the same way we can be affected on bigger or smaller proportions by the holly spirit of God--Jesus had it without measure.

We humans not just have to deal with our daily human needs, but also with spiritual forces that mess up with our minds, and tempt us to fall, how great that we have such an extremely weak heart so we can be able to always will to fall not. Of course, I am being sarcastic, but not pessimist... God is in control. And he makes this movie we call life very exiting and marvelous. He is the best writer and director of all times. He decides to empower and arm a few with what is called His holly spirit, to be able (trough much pain and difficulties) to somehow overcome all this evil spirits and carnal nature, along with the help of His good spirit messangers

"And the angel answering said unto him, I am Gabriel, that STAND IN THE PRESENCE OF GOD; and am SENT [they are MINISTERING spirits--Hebrews 1:14] to speak unto thee, and to show you these glad tidings" (Luke 1:11 & 19).   

To conclude, all this information takes me to obvious conclusions that can be easy to accept. Things get harder when we try to apply our new knowledge with everyday subjects and world views.

"For the weapons of our warfare are NOT carnal [of the flesh], but mighty through GOD to the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down IMAGINATIONS [arguments] and every high thing that exalts itself AGAINST THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD, and bringing into captivity EVERY THOUGHT to the obedience of Christ; and having in a readiness to revenge [punish] all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfiled"  (II Cor., 10:4-6).

If the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, that is because our warfare is not physical. Our warfare is not against poverty, suffering, lack of resources, lack of security, etc, etc. The warfare is in our minds! So, maybe, spiritual starving people are the ones that we should try to help the most... Bringing into captivity EVERY THOUGHT; taking care of everything that we constantly think about is one of the hardest task you can ask somebody. The only way for doing that would be to have a supernatural force, energy --SPIRIT-- in you. 

The world is filled with "spirits of antichrist."  Many Christians worship these spirits.  I cast out dozens and dozens of these spirits of antichrist on our bible-truth.com site

L.Ray Smith
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 05:27:29 PM by Moises G. »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.