bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Glory I Give to No Other  (Read 5048 times)

se7en

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
My Glory I Give to No Other
« on: November 15, 2012, 09:16:10 AM »

I've been searching through Ray's articles and couldn't find a specific answer to resolve these scriptures.

compare/contrast this:

I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images. (Is 42:8)

to these:

Now if we are children, then we are heirs--heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory. (Romans 8:17)

The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, (John 17:22)

Did Ray ever specifically talk about God's glory? Why he would the Lord say he doesn't give it in Isaiah, and then gives it to us?

Anyone ever studied or looked into it?

Thanks!
~Se7en

Kat

Re: My Glory I Give to No Other
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 10:43:58 AM »

Hi Se7en,

This verse is speaking about idols, about people worshipping and giving glory to these graven images they have made themselves. Sometimes a modern day language Bible helps.

Isa 42:8  "I alone am the LORD your God. No other god may share My glory; I will not let idols share My praise. (GNB)

God state He certainly has not given any glory to the idols of man, and goes on to say He will make these people that have worshipped idols a disgrace or put them to shame.

Isa 42:16  "I will lead My blind people by roads they have never traveled. I will turn their darkness into light and make rough country smooth before them. These are My promises, and I will keep them without fail.
v. 17  All who trust in idols, who call images their gods, will be humiliated and disgraced."

God will certainly give glory to whom He will, but He is just saying making the statement here that He totally rejects man's attempt to worship idols of their own making.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

se7en

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 01:38:43 PM »

Awesome, thank you Kat. I was thinking along those same lines but I wanted to be sure. :)

Jesus is not an idol made from human hands. We as co-heirs, brothers with christ, are not made with human hands, God formed us....

So if anyone tries to worship us "as a man" we say "no way, i'm only a man." and we point to Jesus and Jesus points to the Father.

Is that the correct way to understand the whole glory/worship thing according to scripture?

thanks!
~Se7en

patmokgoko

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 01:55:14 AM »

Okay I see but still struggle with John 10:34 "Ye are gods".I take it that man is a god.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 09:36:45 AM »

http://bible-truths.com/audio/THEGODFAMILYPT2.mp3
Audio 8

The God Family
                                                                    (Part 2)

A person is a human being, I have 25 definitions from 25 different sources, a human being, a man or woman or a child as distinguished from an animal or any other thing, including the deity or God. That’s what a person is, a mortal is one of the definitions, a human, a mortal. 

Can more than one individual be God? Yes, because it’s a title. Paul said, “there are many gods” (1 Corinthians 8:5 ). The same word ‘theos’ applied to what we consider the one and only God. But there are many gods.

In the beginning chapters (of the Bible) you know when something starts out and it’s the very first time it’s mentioned and you’ve got to think that this is setting a precedent here for the first time. He says “let Us make man in our image, after Our likeness” (Genesis 1:26) and “the man is become as one of Us.”  ‘One’ of Us.  Now we have the third verse of the Bible, “And God said, Let there be light and there was light.”

We have no direct quotation where God says He is speaking to somebody in His own voice, none. So who said “let there be light?” The Spokesman, the Word of God.

So, God is a title, it’s a title  Lord is a title. Jesus said you should love “the Lord your God” (Matthew 22:37). But there are many lords too.

We can’t be of God’s family unless God is a family. Can more than one individual be part of God’s family? YES. Is Jesus Christ a part of the family of God? YES, He’s God’s Son. Will we be a part of that family? YES.

God is a family, He is producing children, sons and daughters. We’re going to be a part of the household or the family of God. God and family are synonymous in that sense. It’s a title for the Supreme Being and His closest associates, which is God’s family, Father, sons, daughters.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 01:23:42 PM »

"Ye are gods" is not the end of it.

Joh 10:35-38  If He said those were gods, to whom the word of God came (and the scripture can not be broken),
of him whom the Father did sanctify, and send to the world, do ye say--Thou speakest evil, because I said, Son of God I am?  If I do not the works of my Father, do not believe me;  and if I do, even if me ye may not believe, the works believe, that ye may know and may believe that in me is the Father, and I in Him.

That's the kind of god we are destined to be.  In us is the Father and we in him.  One big family.

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.