bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mind control  (Read 4981 times)

gregorydc

mind control
« on: December 03, 2012, 01:04:06 PM »

Hello family members,
I have a problem I cannot seem to solve, and I want to see if you can help me. I cannot , for the life of me, seem to stay focused on the things of God!  I hate that!  I have some hobby's I seem to get so involved in I can't think about anything else; plus my kids and the things they do ; plus who knows what else. The things of this world keep pulling me back down from the heavenly to the earthly. I know there are some things I have to think about from time to time that are not of God; like my bills and things with work, but I seem to obsessing over many things. I truly hate this I feel I don't have control of my own mind when I obsess over stupid things. I keep praying for God to intervene, and kick this huge beast out and reclaim his throne, but it seems to no avail at this time. I guess my question is this … how do I not obsess, or how do I control what I think about? What you think is what you are, and I feel like I have backslid into oblivion.  HELP PLEASE!
Greg

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: mind control
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 01:58:38 PM »

Some things we just have to chop away.  There is no 'doing' some things in a Godly manner. 

BUT, many things we do (such as your paying bills or being involved with your kids) we just do differently.

Col 3:17  And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
Col 3:18  Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.
Col 3:19  Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them.
Col 3:20  Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.
Col 3:21  Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.
Col 3:22  Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God:
Col 3:23  And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;
Col 3:24  Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.
Col 3:25  But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons.

Remember that it is He that works in you both to will and to do His good pleasure.  This transition is gradual and incremental, though it may happen quickly. 

Watching The Property Brothers on HGTV may not sound like a very 'godly' thing to do, but last time I watched it, I worshipped God.  There's barely a day goes by that I don't see how God has transformed the mundane and 'earth-bound' into something closer to living Godly.  To me, bible-study and prayer are for the other parts of my life, not an end to themselves.

Even if my 'advice' is worthless, listen to Paul. 

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:56:23 AM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

dogcombat

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 05:11:57 PM »

Greg,

The FIRST thing you'll begin to understand is, YOU'RE NOT IN CONTROL OF ANYTHING.  Believe me, I know this is hard to accept.  Paul's writings in Romans come to mind (KJV) first in Chapter 3

10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

and in Chapter 7

1 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?

2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.

6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.

9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.

11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.

12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.

17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Everybody feels the same way you do now.  Our human nature is conflicting with our spiritual desires,  this is why we CONTROL nothing and God "works all things after the counsel of HIS OWN WILL (Eph 1:11).  Know this also Greg,  God HAS YOU RIGHT WHERE HE WANTS YOU.  By bringing you to the end of yourself (which is no fun by the way) you'll begin to notice how He directs your steps so that you'll begin to desire to do His will.  In Ezekiel 36 we find:

24 For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land.

25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.
[/b]

May God enlighten your journey in Christ this day.

Ches

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 05:37:54 PM »

Hi Greg.

I was in a similar situation as you in the last few years since I left church. I use to often pray for hours at a time while doing nothing else and I really enjoyed doing it and didn't want to do anything else but then one day it started to change to the point where a few minutes was becoming a struggle. I felt so bad from being in a place spending time with the Lord then to a place of not wanting to spend time with Him. The times when I did pray it was more of begging God to bring me back to that place that I had with Him. Well I still don't spend that amount of time in prayer now but I do spend more time in God's word and reading Ray's material and have a real passion for it that I didn't have before. Where did I find the passion for it - I didn't but the Lord did.

There are other things in life that we all have to do and they all take time. I work in my own business and sometimes it just takes too much time to get the work done and even at the moment I battle between doing my work and reading Ray's material, feel like sometimes I have to tell myself off and say go back to work all stop work and read Ray's material. Thinking of work I better go and do some now.

God bless you

Rhys :)
🤫

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 12:31:38 AM »

Start with the little things Greg.

We all know that ultimately only the Father can set straight that which is crooked yet we also know that God works through our seeking and knocking so your cries for help are not in vein. This is the Lord's work.

Now an example of what I mean by the little things is like, giving thanks for each meal. I find this to be tremendous and even though it's so simple as quietly praying to my Father in my head and saying, "Thank you Lord for this meal you have given me, may it nourish my body," really helps me feel in touch with the Lord and moving forward.

Another little thing you can do is thank the Lord at night for your bed, for the roof over your head. For being able to breathe, to see with your eyes, to hear with your ears, these can be both literally and spiritually of course. Do you ever stop and ask how the Lord's day was? I find all to often I'm always asking for things or saying thank you that I forget to ask Him how He is doing. Do this, listen. It might give you a new avenue for approach when talking with our Lord and re-directing your thoughts.

I find that all these little things add up and they in turn build momentum so to speak for me where It becomes more and more of a habit and I find slowly that the Lord is becoming more and more apart of my everyday thoughts and actions stretching now beyond just the simple thank you's throughout the day and into my problems and dealings with people all around me from family, friends to professors and people online.

So... to make it short, start simple. If you find yourself slipping away get back to the little things. Another simple thing you can do is to also pray for others you know who need prayer perhaps before you fall asleep. Make an effort to at least speak to the Lord every night and you will watch things build upon one another.

Hope this helps you,

God bless,

Alex
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:36:03 AM by lilitalienboi16 »
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 02:25:58 AM »

Hi Greg

God's image is who you most truly are, after you're done with identifying with thoughts that aren't God's thoughts.

Can you imagine Jesus saying:

I have a problem I cannot seem to solve, and I want to see if you can help me. I cannot , for the life of me, seem to stay focused on the things of God!  I hate that! It's so funny it's hilarious! Look at how funny such thoughts can appear when under the Light of Christ. ;D

Your thoughts aren't God's thoughts.  :)

Greg, you don't need to believe what you think. Ray  taught us that the body is innocent and that evil has no moral bias. Likewise, thoughts are NOT self empowered. Thoughts come and go. You don't have to go with them! Who says YOU Greg, have to control your thoughts, is a thought leading you to exert the huge effort that millions of others are spending in believing they have free will to sin or not to sin.

Your thoughts aren't Gods thoughts. Accept it. Scripture can't be broken.

God  cares for you, doesn't condemn you and sees your heart.  8)

Arc

cjwood

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 02:34:56 AM »

very, very nice deborah!  i for one enjoyed your exhortations to our brother greg. 

thank you for posting.

claudia

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 04:04:30 AM »

I must concede as well... beautifully put deborah. Your post was over 9000!!! (Nerd humor).
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Gina

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 01:34:08 AM »

Lots of really good replies here.

Greg, We can't give to God until He first gives to us.   And look at this:  your mind actually is on the things of God because if it weren't you wouldn't even be concerned.

You're going through a lot right now.  And every single parent knows some days are diamonds, some days are stones.  It's good to acknowledge God in all things, but don't do to yourself what you used to do to your wife (just sayin).  That won't make you holier.  It'll only make you angrier and feel less deserving of God's blessings and compassion.  God knows what you're going through.  God is not shocked.   And remember that Satan is accusing you.  But Jesus said that he will never leave you or forsake you.  He takes account of no wrongs.

Hey, there have been times when I have a lot going on and I don't feel comfortable going to God (as if I thought God wasn't interested in my problems or knew what was on my mind).  But of course He did!  There have been times when I've been so down that I didn't even WANT to talk to God, but now I try to talk to God about everything -- even that I don't want to be near Him.  Yes, I do.  I've had talks with Him about that, and why not? Hey, He knows what I'm thinking already, right?  He's not shocked.

Romans 8

31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?

32 He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?

33 Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies.

34 Who is to condemn?  Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.

35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?

Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?

36 As it is written,

“For your sake we are being killed all the day long;
we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”

37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.

38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,

39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Sometimes our thoughts do control us and take us captive!  There is no denying that!  For out of the heart proceeds all manner of evil!

Ephesians 4:8 This is why it says: "When he ascended on high, He led [took] captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

Jesus Christ intercedes and takes what holds us captive [our thoughts!], captive!  How great is that.  Meditate on that for awhile, Greg.  It's like, Phewww~  (Because there's no way anyone of us can do it with our own mind.)

If you remember nothing else, try and remember this:  It is not our faith that saves us, but rather Christ's faith.

Try not to worry about anything but in all things give thanks that the peace that passes all understanding will garrison your heart and MIND in Christ Jesus (just as Alex said -- give thanks and start small, because Lord knows you have a LOT on your plate right now).

God bless and I am praying for your circumstances to change and for you to be blessed abundantly so that your mind can be freed up to concentrate more on the things you wish to concentrate on (whatever they may be).

Gina

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 01:48:23 AM by Gina »

acomplishedartis

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 03:28:42 AM »

37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.
38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,
39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.[/color]
that was there for me at the right time and place.

Wow, so many good replies.          I haven't been able to post much since a while,    but soon or later I always come back.

I guess God knows exactly how to make us think more about him whenever He so desires it. Like when you find yourself in so much cold or pain, etc. that you automatically cry to God for help, moments that you know that you can't handle anymore, so we run to our Dad, also listening to His words give us peace. I suppose that is why tribulation gives us patience.

Today I was thinking about how a few years ago I was able to focus more on spiritual matters for way longer, and now I read this thread. I guess is part of the process...   

Samson

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 03:36:04 AM »

Hello family members,
I have a problem I cannot seem to solve, and I want to see if you can help me. I cannot , for the life of me, seem to stay focused on the things of God!  I hate that!  I have some hobby's I seem to get so involved in I can't think about anything else; plus my kids and the things they do ; plus who knows what else. The things of this world keep pulling me back down from the heavenly to the earthly. I know there are some things I have to think about from time to time that are not of God; like my bills and things with work, but I seem to obsessing over many things. I truly hate this I feel I don't have control of my own mind when I obsess over stupid things. I keep praying for God to intervene, and kick this huge beast out and reclaim his throne, but it seems to no avail at this time. I guess my question is this … how do I not obsess, or how do I control what I think about? What you think is what you are, and I feel like I have backslid into oblivion.  HELP PLEASE!
Greg

Hey Greg,

I can relate, there seems to be spiritual peaks and valleys in this difficult Journey called Life. We have Our Carnal sinful selves to deal with, the tactics of Satan the Devil, the influence of worldly people and other distractions. Welcome to the Club about not being able to control what We think about. It's a good thing that We are not required to Save or Heal ourselves, We can certainly see from experience how impossible that would be. It's a miracle from God that any of us last as long as We do and a miracle that We understand any of this and to even apply any portion of what We have learned. Well, hang in there, We are all in this together, for better or for worse.

Kind regards, Samson.

Rene

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 09:30:58 PM »

It's a miracle from God that any of us last as long as We do and a miracle that We understand any of this and to even apply any portion of what We have learned. Well, hang in there, We are all in this together, for better or for worse.

Amen to that! :)

I often think about how distracting this life is.  I have some new things going on in my life that take up a lot of my time and mind, but I also recognize what a blessing it is to have these new opportunities. 

Simply interacting with people on a daily basis is a constant reminder of how blind this world is to spiritual truths and this recognition aids me greatly in staying "spiritually attuned."  Thankfully, God is never really far from my mind. ;)

René

gregorydc

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 06:28:05 AM »

Thank you all friends and family. You have given me much food for thought here. You all have helped to show me peace. Thank you all for showing me "there is more than one way to skin a cat" , I see now that when you ask here God gives wisdom and insight through many different sets of eyes, many different life experiences, you have all helped me tremendously. With much love and joy I thank you all again.
Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 23 queries.