bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Thankful to God in all things  (Read 20483 times)

Rhys 🕊

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • 🕊
    • Facebook
Thankful to God in all things
« on: January 09, 2013, 04:29:53 AM »

I was reading the following below:

Praying by God's rules

Ah, yes, "the God of peace will be with you." What more do we want? Really: what more do we want? I can swap war stories regarding my past life with the best of you, but to now know that "the God of peace will be with you" is the thing that makes it all worth it. Don't hesitate to thank God for your trials and tribulations and persecutions—they are qualifying you for the incorruptible and immortal Kingdom of God. Answered prayer is a major proof that God exists and that God loves. Obey God's rules governing prayer, and you too will begin to experience God's intervention into your life.

I believe and have no problems with what Ray says here but do find myself struggling.

The following is how I am thinking at the moment and perhaps I'm off the mark here:

It seems more clearer to me now more than ever to be thankful for the things that are not working out for you. Everyone seems to be thankful for the good things but it seems we should be more thankful for the trials and tribulations and persecutions. Even believers seem to be more thankful when things seem to have come right but shouldn't we be more thankful if they stay bad and perhaps even get worse. Nobody seems to be too happy when things go in this direction and everything is going downhill rather quickly. We and especially me included want things to be good again. If these things are qualifying us for His kingdom then why don't we ask for more of them instead of trying to get rid of them. I guess it's like forget the good things give me the trials and tribulations and persecutions as surely that's more important. Well that's how I think at the moment.

I still find myself struggling to be thankful in all the bad things. I am a lot further down the track than I use to be as use to hate God for some things that I was suffering. I guess I'm wondering how do I get to the point of been thankful for all and especially thankful for your trials and tribulations and persecutions and therefore not to complain about anything. Maybe it takes a lifetime but then maybe it only takes a few more weeks. I know what Paul was and then what he became but my transformation does not seem as radical as that. I'm just not sure I will be thankful for all but I want to be and sooner the better at least in my thinking.

Any help appreciated. Maybe I'm not the only one that feels like this but then maybe I am.

Rhys
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:01:40 AM by Rhys NZ »
🤫

gregorydc

Re: Thankful to God in all things
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 08:53:21 AM »

Hello Rhys,
My dear brother you are definitely not the only one who feels this way. I feel this way quite often, but sometimes I am quite thankful for my trials and tribulations because, in retrospect ,I know without them I would, without God bringing me through them, probably be dead right now, and not being saved. I still have to meditate on the good to see what the bad things are for. I have to also look at the big picture of my life, instead of the small daily things, that is the best way I can be thankful to God. Sorry if it doesn't make a whole lot of since, I just woke up and need coffee. Anyway I hope this helps.
Greg

levycarneiro

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 03:21:32 PM »

Both good and evil come from God.  We have no control over what occurs.  Like a surfer, we just need to ride the waves.   8)

That's a great analogy :)

longhorn

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 04:44:38 PM »

I still find myself struggling to be thankful in all the bad things. I am a lot further down the track than I use to be as use to hate God for some things that I was suffering. I guess I'm wondering how do I get to the point of been thankful for all and especially thankful for your trials and tribulations and persecutions and therefore not to complain about anything. Maybe it takes a lifetime but then maybe it only takes a few more weeks. I know what Paul was and then what he became but my transformation does not seem as radical as that. I'm just not sure I will be thankful for all but I want to be and sooner the better at least in my thinking.

You say you are wondering " How do " I " get to the point of being Thankful, and I'm just not sure " I " will be Thankful..  It won't be " YOU " ( Old Man 1st Adam) that will truely be Thankful for trials, but it will be " Christ in You " ( New Man ) that will in all trials have the " Patience of the Saints ". ( Rev 13: 10) when our OLD MAN ( all wood, hay, stubble) is destroyed by the Fire of Christ's words.

Longhorn

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 04:57:26 PM »

...What? Shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?  In all this Job did not sin with his lips.  Job 2:10

Both good and evil come from God.  We have no control over what occurs.  Like a surfer, we just need to ride the waves.   8)

Rather be the Ocean John.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D LOL ~  :)

Rhys, Ray states, "Obey God's rules governing prayer, and you too will begin to experience God's intervention into your life."

CAUSED, of God, to desire to OBEY God, is a desire of the heart given to you by God.  8)  To be exceedingly grateful TO GOD, that you have THAT priceless gift, FROM GOD, is, as Ray states, to  "begin to experience God's intervention into your life. "  :)

Arc

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 05:10:09 PM »

Thanks guys, helpful advice indeed. Guess it's something I still struggle with but I am sure I will get there. I find that article Praying by God's rules quite helpful and have read many times. I often thank God for the tough times but I often don't feel it in my heart.

Looks like I need to take up surfing. Oh well off now to buy a surfboard.

Rhys  ::)

🤫

Extol

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 12:45:24 PM »

Rhys,

Something I struggle with at times is the expectation of things going wrong, and the fear and worry that comes with it.

See, I have a very good life. I have a nice house, a car, a job. I'm married, and am a successful student. I've never known what it's like to miss a meal. Etc. Etc. I sometimes wonder, Where is the bad? Where is the persecution? I've had some marital problems, and a few people have ridiculed my beliefs, but it's nothing compared to what a lot of people--even unbelievers--have experienced.

I'm caught in this awkward place between wanting to live a good, happy life and yet not wanting too much, because then I may not be "qualified for the kingdom". I want to be a good provider, but should I try not to make too much money? I want to be educated, but should I try not to get too educated (and be one of the "wise after the flesh" [1 Cor. 1:26])? This might sound ridiculous, but I sometimes feel a bit guilty for being a hard worker and a dedicated student. . . because I don't want to feel like I am trying to gain the world, only to lose my soul (Matt. 16:26).

I think when it comes down to it, these are all just my own carnal thoughts; it's me trying to work out my life, instead of trusting that God is working all things after the counsel of His will [Eph. 1:11].

It would benefit me to follow JFK's excellent advice; hope you don't mind if I join you in your surfing excursion. I may be in the middle of the big, wide U.S. of A., but you're never far from the ocean where you live.  8)

gregorydc

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 01:30:55 PM »

Hey Extol,
Your scriptures are good and true, but you forget a few people in the bible like, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Job, Solomon, plus many more. All of these people had a good life with plenty and God gave them even more. Just because you feel that you have a lot doesn't mean that your trials and tribulations will come that way. It is Gods good pleasure how you live, and how he blesses you. I remember in one of Rays papers where he spoke about how he made thousands of dollars a month at one time. I believe as long as it doesn't go to your head let the Lord keep blessing you, maybe your meant to pass it along to someone else along the way?  Who knows? Only God.  May God keep blessing you too my friend, and the rest of us here.
Greg

Gina

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 03:35:32 PM »

It's something you have to learn how to do just like everything else.  Ray can say he's thankful and wants more tribulation till the cows come home, but do you know how many YEARS it might have taken him to get to that point?!

Telling someone they ought to do something and expecting them to want to go off and start doing it immediately, and/or expecting them to know exactly how it's done are two different things. 

Ask God for wisdom regarding this.  The carnal mind is emnity with God.  No one's thankful in all things in the beginning -- when they're carnal. 

And since we don't know exactly what you're going through, for all we know it might have nothing to do with tribulation at all, but it might be the chastening of the Lord -- and you might be unthankful because you're despising it.  In which case, it makes sense that you're not able to be thankful.  Because no chastening in the PRESENT seems pleasant...

Hebrews 12:4
God Disciplines His Sons

4 You have not yet resisted to blood, striving against sin.

5 And you have forgotten the exhortation which speaks to you as to children, My son, despise not you the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when you are rebuked of him:

6 For whom the Lord loves he chastens, and whips every son whom he receives.

7 If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chastens not?

8 But if you be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are you bas*tards, and not sons.

9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection to the Father of spirits, and live?

10 For they truly for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.

11 Now no chastening for the present seems to be joyous, but grievous:
nevertheless A-F-T-E-R-W-A-R-D it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to them which are exercised thereby.

And p.s.  I don't think Ray ever expected everyone who reads that to automatically and suddenly be having feelings of thankfulness.  When I'm personally going through hard times, be they tribulation, persecution or judgment/chastening -- I have to FORCE myself (Yes! I know it's God operating in me to will -- so don't be offended by that statement, anyone!  lol) to say to God, You know, this is not pleasant but I know there's a good reason for it. 

Jeremiah 29:11 NIV - For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

He plans to give us hope and a future and it will happen! Because he can't take back His word.  He can't and He won't.  But it feels like he's got other things in mind.  (His ways are definitely not my ways.  lol)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 05:38:34 PM by Game Over »

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 06:43:38 PM »

You make some points there Gina. I know some things I am thankful later on because I get to see what God is doing. Mind you I also go through some tough things but seem to be thankful straight away. I just wonder to myself why not be thankful straight away in all things if you know God is working in you. Yes I can see a bit of the chastening of the Lord going on with me and thanks for the versus. It's good to go through it even at times you wish you weren't.

Greg - I think Ray also said in another audio that he just didn't want all the money and nice things as it would be a distraction from doing what God wants. I do get blessed at times with making good sales in my business and have plenty of money which I am thankful to God. If I am doing well I just pray for God's wisdom in the good times and not too take it for granted.

Extol - Let's both go surfing. I think you play tennis as I do so we can do that as well. I think we just need to trust in God as my experience in life I have seen the good and the bad. Sometimes the good can come to end pretty quickly and your left wondering what went wrong, just have to trust in God everyday and realise the verse that Gina shared:

Jeremiah 29:11 NIV - For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Rhys
🤫

Gina

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 07:26:53 PM »

You make some points there Gina. I know some things I am thankful later on because I get to see what God is doing. Mind you I also go through some tough things but seem to be thankful straight away. I just wonder to myself why not be thankful straight away in all things if you know God is working in you. Yes I can see a bit of the chastening of the Lord going on with me and thanks for the versus. It's good to go through it even at times you wish you weren't.

Rhys

Because it's not possible to feel joyous when you're in pain.  At least not this girl.  haha

Do this:  Go surfing with Extol.  Have an accident (not your fault) and get knocked upside the head with your surfboard and immediately go unconscious.  Are you feeling joyous?  No.  Because your unconscious. ;D

Being thankful in all things doesn't mean you're feeling joyous at that very nanosecond. 

What we want and need is peace of mind:  freedom from worry and guilt.  We want to know that everything is going to turn out okay. 

God's promises are the "eye of the storm."  The hard part is believing them -- focusing on them.  Train yourself to focus on and believe God's promises.  Practice makes perfect. :)

Gina

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 07:28:34 PM »

I love you family - you encourage me with sound advice that can only come from the scripture. Thinking aloud I just may be at a place in my life where I truly appreciate that Jesus wept. I do not need or want sympathy or more than I can deal with to be considered worthy - only that my heart can work and be tender x

Hayley you're such a sweet heart.  I love reading your posts. 

dodrill

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 08:11:06 PM »

Thanks Gina - I love reading your posts too - in between one foot in the mouth and the other waiting in the wings - God is working on me - we have maps of our lives here - spiritual journeys - and it is a safe place to bare our souls. We are still having a human experience and the more we surrender the better it gets - thanks for compliment on my sweet heart - it's not mine :) He makes me love as He is LOVE

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 01:50:44 AM »

God is working on me - we have maps of our lives here - spiritual journeys - and it is a safe place to bare our souls. We are still having a human experience and the more we surrender the better it gets

Hi Hayley

I like the line above you mentioned. I think with my topic here about being thankful in the tough times it's a good reminder of what we have here and the people we have here that can help and encourage us in out journey as we surrender our lives more and more to the Lord.

God bless

Rhys
🤫

Ian 155

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 07:13:00 AM »

Good to see most of you are all smilleys when it comes to tribulations - I do a lot of lip service [probably desperado stuff - not from my heart] some times during this constant unrelenting crushing process called trials and tribulation,I'm thinking, taking a cross or a bullet or a be-heading would be easier - I wonder how Ray felt dealing with 4 or 5 types of cancer ?

having a large family seems like there is multiple trials at once, all the time...

It is humbling, and we will overcome, praise God

Ian

Extol

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 11:27:58 AM »

Yes, I love tennis!!! Aussie Open time!!!

indianabob

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 01:06:33 PM »

Friends and Extol,
Being blessed and very well off, financially and otherwise, can be just as tempting a trial as being very poor.
It is so easy to assume that we have earned or some how deserve the blessings we receive.
Imagine that we are born really good looking. Think how difficult it would be to empathize with one born plain in appearance? So I think it is true that one may be tested by great possessions as strictly as one with very little. The poor may envy the wealthy and likewise the wealthy may disregard the plight of the poor.

Regards, Indiana Bob

Gina

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 01:28:46 PM »

Friends and Extol,
Being blessed and very well off, financially and otherwise, can be just as tempting a trial as being very poor.
It is so easy to assume that we have earned or some how deserve the blessings we receive.
Imagine that we are born really good looking. Think how difficult it would be to empathize with one born plain in appearance? So I think it is true that one may be tested by great possessions as strictly as one with very little. The poor may envy the wealthy and likewise the wealthy may disregard the plight of the poor.

Regards, Indiana Bob

True.  But being ugly can't keep people from becoming rich.  And riches rule.  Haven't you noticed how ugly some really rich men are and yet they can get any woman they want?  Sometimes more than one.  Take Hugh Hefner for example.  He is old, wrinkled and fugly!  Do you think that matters to his new bride?

By the same token, Jesus was ugly too.  Didn't stop him from having people congregate to Him.  He was sought after day and night. 

But to be fair, it was because they both have something people desire -- riches.  One has worldly riches.  The other has spiritual riches.

Ray's another example.  There was a time there where he was grossly overweight.  But that didn't keep me from him or his writings.

Still, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

Now, if you're poor and ugly (spiritually and physically, respectively) -- you may as well just set fire to yourself.

Ian 155

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 03:30:24 PM »

Still, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

Now, if you're poor and ugly (spiritually and physically, respectively) -- you may as well just set fire to yourself.
[/quote]

HA ha he heee  - Gina send me those matches

PS I have a t shirt that states "beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER"

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 04:04:53 PM »

I know I have trials with being handsome.

I don't know if women are truly attracted to me or just my pretty face.   :'(

My heart bleeds for you John. Your problems overwhelm me. I would go with the pretty face response. I too have the same problem. Anyway it's all the burgers.  ???

Rhys
🤫
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.