bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prayer/Worship in Public vs David Danced  (Read 5500 times)

TruthChaser

Prayer/Worship in Public vs David Danced
« on: January 21, 2013, 01:48:35 AM »

Had a discussion about Christians who put on a show for others to see when they pray and worship God.  The counter to this was that David danced in 2 Sam. 6:14 where he danced with all of Israel.  I've always felt that purposely outward praise was wrong especially since Christ words say not to do this.  Was what David was doing then the same as public prayer/worship or am I looking at this wrong?

Rhys 🕊

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • 🕊
    • Facebook
Re: Prayer/Worship in Public vs David Danced
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 02:07:17 AM »

Hi Truthchaser

Here is something I found that Ray mentioned

Jesus is the son of GOD, you can never, ever measure up to Jesus, yes Jesus
> spoke as he did, JESUS WAS ALWAYS RIGHT!! YOU ARE WRONG!!! not all the
> churches are hypocrites !!! DO NOT CONTINUE TO CRITICIZE THE MEN OF GOD!!!
> What happened to David's wife? When she made fun, criticized David as he
> danced worshiping God in his undergarments? SHE GOT HER PUNISHMENT......

Dear Pamela: I have NEVER criticized a man of God for dancing in his underwear. But you criticize me for endeavoring to "measure up to Jesus." You find a FAULT in that? You think that is a sin or hypocritical to endeavor to "measure up to Jesus?" Did not Peter state that:

1Pe 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that YOU SHOULD FOLLOW HIS STEPS.

By the way, I have never said that "all churches are hypocrites." I am not aware that I am criticizing "MEN OF GOD?" Who? Name me one?

God be with you,

Ray

This is also a good link on How to praise God.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,13758.msg121157.html#msg121157

We must worship in spirit and in truth. That's what the Father wants. I have found for myself that real praise comes from deep within and it is hard to put into words or actions, but I try my best to. I played guitar for along time and found I could praise God doing that whether in church or alone. Now some dance and if that's there way then so be it. It's not my way as I can't dance. I've got 2 left feet syndrome.

I guess it all comes down to what's in the heart.

Rhys
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 02:17:08 AM by Rhys NZ »
🤫

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 02:37:54 AM »

Get what you are saying John. My singing and guitar playing has never been crazy. Have always tried to give my best for the Lord whether in church or alone. Where I did get disappointed in church was when they became more happy clappy and bouncing up and down and the music just became a lot of noise. Got me rather annoyed when I just try to seek God and go where His Spirit leads. I'm glad I'm not in church now as I just had enough it. Do they think that God is rocking out to there nonsense because it wasn't true worship. It use to give me a headache all the time. I think my head would of exploded if I didn't get out.

God bless

Rhys
🤫

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 03:01:32 AM »

Excellent find there John. But I think it best that I still don't worship God in dance.  :P

Rhys
🤫

thewatchman

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 01:56:54 AM »

not without your pink tutu rhys.

The explanation is still rather obscure.

true worship is obedience.  8)

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 03:21:54 AM »

Hi thewatchman

How did you know I owned a pink tutu?

Yes I agree with you that true worship is obedience as Ray covers in the passages below:

Worship In Spirit And Truth! audio

Matt 26:42 Again a second time He went away, and prayed, saying, My Father, if this cannot pass away, except I drink it, Your will be done.

Even when it came down to life and death and something just very painful and very difficult, He worshipped God, He served God. He knew what He was sent here to do. He said, I’ll do it. That’s worship.

That’s what worship is, it’s not waving your arms. I mean you can wave your arms if you wanted to, and you can sing a hymn or you can get on your knees when you pray. But none of that is of any value unless you obey and serve God. That’s what true worship is. Worship is obedience.

And later this passage:

Can you see what is important in worship? Forget about the waving hands. If you got to do it, well then do it. But you know the big thing is OBEDIENCE and that goes with family relations…..husband and wife, you’ve got to be obedient to those vows. If those vows were good and Godly, you’ve got to be obedient.

But obedience, that is where it is at. Sometimes we come short, I know. But there is no doubt in my mind, that's what it’s all about, and I know what it’s all about.

From Is Jesus God Bible study audio

John 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth… for He dwells with you, and shall be in you.

This is what the Father wants. Now are you going to be one of those that grants His wish, so to speak. Out of, I don’t know how many people have ever lived, I’ll say out of 20-30 billion the Father picked you and me. He only picked a few, only a couple out of 30-40-50 BILLION He picked us to be true worshippers. You were hand picked.

John 6:44 No man can come to Me, except the Father which hath sent Me draw him:

Christ does not decide who is going to inherit the kingdom of God. Now once the Father picks them, He says I know who they are. He knows those that are His, but He doesn’t pick them. God hand picks us and He picks people that He wants to worship Him now, in spirit and in truth. He wants them to be a light to the world, just not all out greedy, greedy, greedy. Be a light to the world and there are many many Scripture where it talks about producing fruit, good fruit, lots of fruit. So He wants us to produce fruit and then He’s going to give us the kingdom of God and a huge reward.

And from Ray’s emails about David:

David was "a man after God's own heart" in those areas that God caused him to be a man after His own heart. In all other areas David was as carnal as any man who ever lived. David was not spiritually converted. David DIED IN HIS SINS as an unforgiven murderer. The New Covenant teaches us that if one does not forgive, neither shall he be forgiven, if one hates in his heart, he is a murderer, and a murderer does NOT have eonian life abiding in him (I John 3:15). David's dying words were for his son to finish off those on his hit list, and to do it soon and to make it bloody! (I Kings 2:5-9).

Most of these Christians have no idea what worship is and David was carnal. Perhaps David’s worship was the same as these Christians. Just a big fraud.

It’s all about what God is doing and what He is shaping us into. These people act like the scribes and Pharisees and this is what the Lord says about them:

Mat 23:27  `Woe to you, Scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye are like to whitewashed sepulchres, which outwardly indeed do appear beautiful, and within are full of bones of dead men, and of all uncleanness;

Outward signs are just terrible. Seen too many other Christians using them from my time in the church without no real change.

Let’s not be like them. I use to be like them but I am glad God is cleansing me and shaping me into what He wants. Feels like I die everyday and I wish it would be over soon but it will be over in God's time.

Rhys

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 03:32:37 AM by Rhys NZ »
🤫

thewatchman

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 08:14:19 AM »

I have no problem with David's dancing. I am not a better man then he was. But people often confuse praise and are too often satisfying their own flesh. I just know that I must submit to his will. Nothing else is good enough. 8)

mharrell08

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 08:24:21 AM »

David is not a good example to follow.  He had the heart of a murderer within him as is evidenced by his deathbed instructions to his son.  David will not be in the 1st resurrection because of his evil heart.

I don't think that's exactly true. You can't throw out all the invaluable lessons from OT saints because of their character flaws. That wouldn't leave us with any examples for our admonition (1 Cor 10:11). Abraham lied about having a wife, letting another man lay down with her, yet still showed great faith when God told him to sacrifice his son. Some lessons are inspirational, others are a warning.

indianabob

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 03:13:14 PM »

Thanks Marques, it is good to keep a balanced approach to the way we see/judge the people that God uses.
I'm confident that God has a place for David in His plans and David's experiences and challenges are much the same as some of ours.
Indiana Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.