bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1 Peter 4:6  (Read 3754 times)

eggi

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
1 Peter 4:6
« on: January 30, 2013, 05:31:08 PM »

Can anyone shed some more light on this verse?

1 Peter 4:6:
For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

My understanding is that this verse is simply saying that the gospel is preached to people who are dead in their sins, so that they can be judged as men in the flesh (corrected), and then after the judgment live according to God in the spirit?

"Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned" (Romans 5:12).

"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins" (Ephesians 2:1).

I couldn't find anywhere where Ray mentions this verse.

God bless you,
Eirik
Here’s how to tell if you have faith; how do you live… what do you do… what do you accomplish in life… what are your goals… What is there about you that proves that you have this faith and belief inside of you? What?

cjwood

Re: 1 Peter 4:6
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 11:50:51 PM »

hey eirik.  i found the following from a thread in 2008.  perhaps it may help some. 

claudia

Re: Physical Bodies at ressurrection
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2008, 11:32:31 PM »
Quote from: Kat on October 21, 2008, 10:48:33 PM

I would like to bring this Scripture in for consideration.  Peter is speaking to the Believers and in verse 3 says what they should NOT be living like the Gentiles anymore. 

But then in verse 5 he says that they/Gentiles will give account.  Is this for what they were saying in verse 4, giving account of their "speaking evil of you" Belivers? And the accounting woulf be in the Great White Throne Judgment?

1Peter 4:3  For we have spent enough of our past lifetime in doing the will of the Gentiles--when we walked in lewdness, lusts, drunkenness, revelries, drinking parties, and abominable idolatries.
v. 4  In regard to these, they think it strange that you do not run with them in the same flood of dissipation, speaking evil of you.
v. 5  They will give an account to Him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.

But verse 6 is what I'm getting at here, as it states "they (referring to the Gentiles) might be judged according to men in the flesh."  So is this referring to the White Throne Judgment and judging men "in the flesh"?  Then they will learn to "live according to God in the spirit."

v. 6  For this reason the gospel was preached also to those who are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

Well I've looked at this a long time and that's what I see, so I'm wanted to bring this Scripture up and see what others think this is speaking of.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Hey Kat,
In verse 6:
1Pe 4:6  For for this cause(the cause of Christ) was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they(the dead) might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.(men still in the flesh but walk after righteousness)

I'm not quite sure this is speaking of the white throne judgement??
I could be wrong because the words "might be" give me a since of hope or a looking forward to.

eggi

Re: 1 Peter 4:6
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 02:12:47 PM »

Thank you Claudia, that helps a lot!

God bless you,
Eirik
Here’s how to tell if you have faith; how do you live… what do you do… what do you accomplish in life… what are your goals… What is there about you that proves that you have this faith and belief inside of you? What?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.