bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Testimonies?  (Read 5898 times)

Laa Laa

Testimonies?
« on: February 08, 2013, 10:39:58 PM »

I have a question about people sharing their testimony in church, online, or wherever. I looooooooooooooove when people share about their faith, trials of faith, spiritual growth, and the goodness of God. It just seems that most of the testimonies I am seeing are simply about what God has done for them. I know there has to be more than just "I got saved and God gave me a car, house, 2 jobs, and a husband/wife". Or is that it? Is testifying only about the material things that God has provided us with? I used to get real excited when I would hear people speaking about the things we are taught to believe will make us complete are given to them when they start to have some "Jesus" in their lives. It just doesn't do it for me anymore. Everyone isn't meant to be rich or get married or have a french poodle  with a diamond collar.

I don't want to be judgemental and I hope I'm not being that way. I just feel differently now and would like to hear someone talk about their walk with Him instead JUST what He can do for them.

thewatchman

Re: Testimonies?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 11:56:34 PM »

There is a culture LaaLaa regarding testimonies in most public settings...I have seen it from the 1980's when I was a member of my local FGBMA (full gospel busniness men's a@@) which was a testimony based mens ministry. Public testimonies took on a competitive air about them...Who had the worst beginning...who had the metioric rise afterwards. I believe testimonies are most effective when kept personal with a few. More real. And they need to give God ALL of the glory. He chose us...not the other way around. That's my way.  8)

Headdy82

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 02:32:07 AM »

I agree Laa Laa. Testimonies should be about how a person has been guided through the spirit from the Lord which can only be given from the Lord. It is a rejoicing feeling and wonderful gift to be guided by the Lord. Jesus is the light and the way and I have come to know so much this past year. The real treasures of God is through his son and to know what his will is. For me my testimony would be the spiritual truths and gifts from above that has been given to me and opened my eyes to understanding. I rejoice In it even though right now I am going through a really tough situation,  but I am reminded of a what has been given to me. People can have "things " but to obtain things that are unseen is more valuable than those that are seen.

Rhys 🕊

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • 🕊
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 10:13:55 PM »

Most people's testimonies are very carnal. That's how I remember them from church. Most of them just annoyed me the way people went on and on about I have this and I got this and look at me now with all my money and my wonderful wife and 2.2 kids and so on and so on and so on. You want often hear a testimony in church about what it really is to know the Lord because most of them don't have a clue spending there life listening to a bunch of turkeys instead of listening to Jesus. Perhaps they don't want to talk about there walk as they might come across too negative after all it's a hard road with lots of pot holes and bumps along the way.

I tried once to give a testimony once in church of what God was truly doing in my life and the hard trials I was going through and all that jazz. Well I can tell you they weren't too interested and I think they wanted to pray for me more than actually get the true message of what God is doing. They enjoyed the testimonies of others who got a promotion or there health improved or they are getting married, oh they clapped for them but not for me.

If you want to follow Jesus you will pay a price and most people won't care a jot about it and will show little interest in what you are going through. There too busy looking at themselves and patting each other on the back to have any idea of what really is going on. They are blind and your not being judgemental it's just a fact.

Well I'm glad I found Ray's material as that has helped me so much in my walk with the Lord and bringing the true change that we should be talking about. You want hear many people talk about the truth because they just don't know. They are blind and deceived to the spiritual truth.

By the way I would love a french poodle with a diamond collar. I would give the poodle away and sell the diamond collar and then go on holiday and when I come back I would buy myself a french poodle (I've always wanted one of those).

Bless you

Rhys
🤫

Rex8

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 11:00:15 PM »

Where did this personal "testimony" thing even start.It is not in the scriptures that way at all.It is more akin to testifying in a court of law as a witness.

The traditions of men are many and deeply ingrained.This one is specifically designed to tug at the heartstrings of sentimentalism and nostalgia..it reminds me of and old Cheech and Chong skit... it was Cheech so hear his voice..
"I used to be all messed up on drugs ...now I'm all messed up on the lord!!

Rhys 🕊

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • 🕊
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 11:08:09 PM »

No idea Rex. Our lives should be our testimony to those around us.
🤫

thewatchman

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 11:44:31 PM »

Where did this personal "testimony" thing even start.It is not in the scriptures that way at all.It is more akin to testifying in a court of law as a witness.

The traditions of men are many and deeply ingrained.This one is specifically designed to tug at the heartstrings of sentimentalism and nostalgia..it reminds me of and old Cheech and Chong skit... it was Cheech so hear his voice..
"I used to be all messed up on drugs ...now I'm all messed up on the lord!!

I think Full Gospel was a powerful engine in popularizing this. It was well supported ministry worldwide

Rex8

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 05:20:00 AM »

okay.... I have been out of the babylon church for so long it seems like a bad dream that I get confused with real life.The first time I was asked to "give" my testimony( I was 25 and WAY  unchurched)I had no idea what they meant...and I had no idea of church etiquette....I think that's why they stopped asking me questions they didn't want to hear  answers to. ..hey ....somethings NEVER change!!

Ian 155

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 10:02:32 AM »

funny, having the same thoughts re testimonies of good tidings , then the Lord shows me this  ERV

1Ti 6:5  They are always making trouble, because they are people whose thinking has been confused. They have lost their understanding of the truth. They think that devotion to God is a way to get rich.

K J

1Ti 6:5  Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.
1Ti 6:6  But godliness with contentment is great gain.
1Ti 6:7  For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
1Ti 6:8  And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

ez2u

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 03:00:35 PM »

well there is drama and there is high drama.  Then there is glorying this world.  Once in a while  I have found God has led someone to me and my story does help once in a great while I am older too!  but mostly what comes out of me "Christ with in me the hope and glory" is much more effective in life changing witnesses.  walking in the Love of God.  what has the Church become? is this a reflection of the evil in our country?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.