bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Free Will  (Read 19739 times)

M_Oliver

Re: Free Will
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2006, 12:13:41 PM »

A person, a seemingly very honest seeker, also brought up the idea that if we have no "free will" in this life and everything happens according to how God has planned it, and has planned who will "go to heaven in the afterlife," then she would find it hard to be motivated or see any reason to serve him.

This was a question I anticipated once God gave me understanding of the free will myth.  Many people struggle with what this woman shared with you so I knew I had to work out a good response.  The answer that I believe God has helped work out in my mind is centered around the resurrections.  The motivation to serve Him, even though we lack the free will to do so, is to make the FIRST and BETTER resurrection.

Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him  a thousand years. Revelation 20:6

Which I'm sure is the one for the just, not the unjust...

having an expectation in God, which these themselves also are anticipating, that there shall be a resurrection which is impending for both the just and the unjust.  In this, I am exerting myself also, to have a conscience which is no stumbling block toward God and men, continually. Acts 24:15-16

Can anyone see any error in this or have I found an acceptable answer?

MG

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2006, 03:58:13 PM »

I would think if we have No Free Will that motivation is not important.

If God wants us to serve him we will serve him.

Jonah wasn't motivated to serve God, but God saw to it that he did.

Jonah 1
1Now the word of the LORD came unto Jonah the son of Amittai, saying,
2Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry against it; for their wickedness is come up before me.
3But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD, and went down to Joppa; and he found a ship going to Tarshish: so he paid the fare thereof, and went down into it, to go with them unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD.

Jonah 3
1And the word of the LORD came unto Jonah the second time, saying,
2Arise, go unto Nineveh, that great city, and preach unto it the preaching that I bid thee.
3So Jonah arose, and went unto Nineveh, according to the word of the LORD.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2006, 08:09:15 PM »

I think some of us are still caught up in the myth of the term "free will" verses "choices" free will does not apply to humanity, period. If you lose a finger using a power tool can your "free will" grow it back? If your pet gold fish dies can your "free will" restore it to life? If you do not show up for work for 2 weeks without calling in can your "free will" save your job. If you miss a mortgage or car payment for 3 or 4 months can your "free will" keep the bank from reposession?

Motivation is another story, you can be motivated to buy a lottery ticket but can your "free will" ensure you will win? You can desire (be motivated) to win a NASCAR race in a 1976 Chevy Vega that burns oil and has bald tires but can your "free will" make you successful?

We do have the capability to make choices, but the choices are severely limited by the circumstances we find ourselves in, who sets up the circumstances, who decides who our parents are, what our nationality is? Can a Chinese person born on the mainland tap into his "free will" and transform his government? No. Can this same person be motivated or desire to leave his country, face the potential perils and choose to take the risk and suffer the consequences if caught? Yes. Is this what one would call "free will?"

Faith is not "free will" it is a gift from our Lord.

Heb 6:11  And we desire that every one of you do show the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:

There is alot of scripture which attests to our "desires" our desires are what often times motivates our actions, who formed us? Who created the essence of our being? 

Mark, I believe what you wrote about motivation is right on the money, unless He calls us though we will not be motivated to search for the treasure or seek the Kingdom.

1Pe 2:2  As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

Ray's papers on the free will vs. caused choices explains this much better than I am capable of doing, please read all 4 articles in regard to this issue if you still have questions please state the point you are contending from the paper.

This will be my last response to this topic.

His peace, knowledge and understanding to all of you,

Joe

M_Oliver

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2006, 10:02:12 PM »

A couple more favorites.

The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps. (Proverbs 16:19)

I know, O LORD, that the way of man is not in himself, that it is not in man who walks to direct his steps.  (Jeremiah 10:23)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.