bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Pale Blue Dot  (Read 5525 times)

JD

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
The Pale Blue Dot
« on: April 22, 2013, 07:36:43 AM »

I can't remember if some one has already posted this on the forum before??? But worth a look anyway - gets me every time.

In 1990 – at the request of the American astronomer, astrophysicist, cosmologist and author Carl Sagan, the spacecraft Voyager 1 having completed its primary mission turned its camera around and took a photograph of Earth before leaving our Solar System. The distance from Earth the picture was taken from, was approximately six billion kilometres. Our planet is shown as a tiny dot (0.12 pixel in size) against the massive vastness of space.

Due to the light reflecting off the satellites metal structure, an illusion of a beam of light - like that of the sun shining through the blinds of an abandoned warehouse, seems to purposely illuminate and suspend our fragile home, like a speck of dust. This famous photograph is commonly known as “the pale blue dot.” It is one of the most poignant images of the Twentieth Century.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i2y4sEQpRI

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
Re: The Pale Blue Dot
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 07:45:19 AM »

Very Cool  :)

I like Carl Sagan in this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI9ImScQGAo
🤫

cjwood

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 12:58:41 AM »

what an awesome reminder of how small we really are and how enormous God the Creator is.

claudia

JD

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 05:55:05 AM »

Very Cool  :)

I like Carl Sagan in this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI9ImScQGAo

Bahaahaa!!!! Brilliant - Jee-zuss-a -saurus Rex!

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 06:03:03 AM »

Ha ha yes indeed!

I also agree with Mr Sagan's theory that Mountain Dew is the best soda ever made. Hard to disagree with such logic!

Professor Rhys  ;)
🤫

Extol

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 11:45:35 AM »

I like the part where he says, "From this vantage point, our obsession with nationalism is nowhere in evidence." It does seem rather silly that people argue and fight over that--England is better than Ireland, whites are better than blacks, New York is better than Boston--when we're all on the same little rock. Imagine if we were walking on the earth (the "universe") and came across a grain of sand (the "planet") at the beach, and peered closely and saw people arguing in patriotic frenzies over which corner of the grain of sand was superior. It would seem so silly and insignificant.

This video reminds me of what Ray said once (I think it was in the "Random" audio): "I know for a fact what's in outer space....WE are! If you back up in space we are just a little dot, and if you back up further you can't even see us at all. We are lost in the blackness of outer space!"

cjwood

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 01:31:13 AM »

excellent points there extol.

claudia

onelovedread

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 01:26:10 PM »

Excellent points indeed, Extol!
I mean everyone knows New York is better than Boston, duh. ;D

darren

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 05:39:58 AM »

God The Creator millions of planets within millions of solar systems in millions of galaxy's. where time and space is inconceivable in ones mind. I for one love and believe to think out the box and contemplate on intelligent life on other worlds. I just believe The Greatest creator in the universe would not create life just on our little blue planet. I personally think it is pretty dam arrogant of man to think we are the only life in the cosmos . Lets say the age of the universe is at lest 14 billion yrs. most likely more. Earth is what 4 billion around there give or take I'm not sure. How old is man. I just love thinking of the possibilities. My God and my Creator has always been creating and has never stop. Oh yes this small blue dot in the a@@ end of the milky way galaxy is most beautiful and awesome.

indianabob

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 09:40:22 AM »

Hi Darren,
We agree on the majesty of God.
Regarding whether we are first in this majestic creation makes no difference to our participation in it.
Thinking like a human, I can speculate that God had to start someplace, why not here?

On the other hand God may have started many places all at the same time. Nothing that we know of God would prevent that....or God may have us in a time sequence at for example number 777 in the creation of children to occupy and subdue with love, His creation. We are just part of the process AND many other thinking beings are observing in awe and are thankful.

One question that will come up might be verses in scripture that say that Lord Jesus is God's ONLY begotten son and that he, Jesus, is Lord of all that God created. Does that mean for example "all that God created in this solar system? Or all that God created in this Galaxy? Or does ALL mean all?

For the answers to these and other questions an exercise of patience is needed. Perhaps that is one of the primary lessons we are to learn while yet in the flesh.
Regards, Indiana Bob

darren

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 03:16:46 AM »

thanks Indiana Bob, yes i wouldn't try to assume what planet, galaxy or solar system the Creator started His work. I do however believe that The Creator created a universe teaming with life. i know of no  Scripture to back this up. This is what i choose to believe. Yes I do believe I will need patience and God willing He will bless me with patience.  Oh yes I choose to believe Jesus is Lord over All creation. Jesus being The Word and everything that was created though Him.Lord of All meaning all creation in the cosmos.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.