bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 Timothy 2:15  (Read 6328 times)

gregorydc

2 Timothy 2:15
« on: April 22, 2013, 01:01:20 PM »

Hello Family,
  2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God,a workman that needeth not to be ashamed,rightly dividing the word of truth. KJV
  I read this and I have learned through Rays teachings that God is in control. I read this scripture and I wonder why I am not moved to study the bible like I used to do.  Does Ray cover this scripture anywhere?  I remember reading something about it somewhere I think. Also I am slightly lost when I read this scripture, god is in control of all, but if I am not inspired by him to study the scripture, how can I do what this scripture says?  Or am I reading it wrong?  I need some advice, and some help. Anyone?
Greg

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Re: 2 Timothy 2:15
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 01:32:35 PM »

Study is a horrible word translation.  Be diligent would be closer.

Ask yourself this what would Timothy mean by study?  Study what? there was no bible then, just old testament Jewish teaching.  Was that what we are to study?  I don't think so. You are not inspired to study the scripture because you may be graduating to actually living the word of God.  That is a slow process but exactly where I am at too.

Craig

Gina

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 03:31:53 PM »

I believe that's right, Craig.

Ray taught about how when Jesus opened up the disciples' understanding to the scriptures, He didn't literally take them through each and every word of the scriptures, but rather He taught them principles (sp?  principals?).

Rom. 2

v. 14 for when Gentiles which have no law do by nature the things of the law, these, having no law, are a law unto themselves;

v. 15 in that they shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness therewith, and their thoughts one with another accusing or else excusing them;

v. 16 in the day when God shall judge the secrets of men, according to my gospel, by Jesus Christ.

Think of the parable of the Good Samaritan.  That was a principle (sp?) teaching of Jesus.  And just the way Jesus lived His whole life was a principle teaching in itself. 

My 2 cents.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 04:55:43 PM »

Gregory, what were you studying before?
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Kenneth Clark

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 05:02:17 PM »

conscience

Rex8

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 05:29:58 PM »

This is in the top ten of the most abused scriptures for the religious and their doctrines of men.If you don't "follow" their traditions (their interpretations of the "words" of scriptures"..you are not rightly"dividing" the word and are an apostate liar.

They then  they quote being a Berean and the two other new testament scriptures that supposedly was Paul telling them that "studying the "word of God" was knowledge and wisdom.....yet that flies completely in the face of everything Paul  taught and said by Yahshua .Yahshua clearly berated the pharisees for teaching and practicing this and said"You search the scriptures daily thinking that in them you have life YET you fail to come to me whom they are written OF that you may have life"....

In the new testament accounts Yahshua NEVER told the disciples to study the scriptures  nor did it it talk of him doing so himself.Paul said the letter of the Law kills the spirit is life.John said THIS is Gods love that you WILL keep his commandments(his will) and they WILL NOT be burdensome.He isn't talking of the studying the Law ..the commandments .Gods will is being "written'(spoke is more like it ...rhema word) in our heart.....spirit...that is salvation...a process.

Pauls pedigree as a pharisee included being "perfected" in the Law but he counted it ALL as dung to his communion with Yahshua.The scriptures over and over show that God is not saving creation through written/spoken words of man...doctrines...they were types and shadows...Babel is the ultimate example. It is where man tried to expand into their heavens...so God confused the language ....and has never unconfused it.!!Babylon is where man worships the words (doctrines of men...religion) instead of communing with God.Coming out of babylon is hearing "rhema" The Father....just as Peter heard (was revealed) that Yahshua is the Christ  the son of God...and of course it is a process.Peter in a few verse later couldn't hear at all!!

The knowledge of words are only schoolmasters.There are some that have now gone on to worship the concordance like it has the answers to Gods word!!!and it was not even divinely inspired...absolute foolishness...It is ALL the worship of words as God..babylon......Yahshua is the LIVING word.....he clearly said the words I speak to you are SPIRIT and life.He wasn't telling anyone to take notes for a bible study  or analyze words for meanings so you'd know what he said.

He clearly said in the parable of the soil and the seed who would "hear" (let them that have EARS... hear).Then explained what the "LIVING word of God" was....it is a seed...not the letter of The Law.Paul said when I was a child I thought like a child and I spoke like a child now that I am mature I've put away childish ways.Are the scriptures sin (imperfect).... God forbid!!! however they are a schoolmaster.When the perfect has come that which is in part will be done away with.

Overcoming ..coming out of babylon is entering into the Holy of Holies(and it entering you) and communing with God Father and Son..as ONE...to have the mind of christ ... the anointing of God...The Holy Spirit..that is the only teacher.

Having the mind of christ is  "hearing" God and  doing what he does and says.THAT is rightly dividing the word.The letter of the Law enslaves because man  turns it into the doctrines of men..of teachers....Paul and Silas went through this deliema.Their disciples started worshiping them because of the words they brought them.It's a dichotomy that can't be averted..because...  it's part of the never ending process of salvation ..and everyone that goes through that stage is ensnared in the same thing...worshiping the written words instead of communing with the Living word.It is a sign of immaturity.Nothing wrong with that ....until it never matures and is a career and is compelling others to do the same and fall in the same ditch...just as the pharisees did..and religious do to this day.

That is what religion (worship) does.Christianity has 30,000 sects and counting .....ALL worshiping their interpretations of the "written words" and worshiping them as GOD!!absolute insanity ...and foolishness! YET everyone will do it.Some will continue to do it never seeing(or hearing)....babylon is a deep pit that is not only not easy to escape..it is IMPOSSIBLE to do on our own.We are drawn to the seed that was "sown" in our "heavens"..the tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil....it is not to hard to figure that one out...but yet ...the many won't.....

The Tree of Life is what the living word of God grows...and produces good fruit 30,60 and 100 fold(btw ...that is an equation and the most important equation there is)....We ALL must go through babylon in one form or another.We will all encounter babylon worshipers that are so blind they don't know they are in babylon and compel us to be "babeled" with them ...worshiping words....they think they have escaped or it does not exist!!..as they say the 1st step is acknowledging the problem.

We cannot fully comprehend what babylon is while in it.No one in babylon(confusion and worship of words) knows they are in babylon.They believe it is the Truth..John said it perfectly.This is Gods love  that you WILL keep his commandments (will) and it WILL NOT be burdensome.God bless.

Kat

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 06:13:53 PM »

Rex8, when you are speaking of Babylon and what they are doing... do they study the Scripture and find truth? Of course not, the Truth is the Spirit in the words of Scripture, which only the chosen few understand. Of course the Pharisees did not apply the Scriptures correctly in their teachings, they were blind leading the blind.

Mat 15:14 Let them alone! they are, blind leaders; and, if the, blind, lead the, blind, both, into a ditch, will fall.

Paul wrote to the Thessalonians and his epistles were sent around to all the churches to be read and studied to understand the way of the truth. And what did these epistles of Paul's become? A lot of the NT.

1Th 2:13  For this reason we also thank God without ceasing, because when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you welcomed it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which also effectively works in you who believe.

If you need a more up to date example, then take Ray. He didn't just meditate and apply what he had already learned, the man studied all the time. He knew the Bible from studying it for years and years, continuously and with that gained much knowledge. But what separates him from the pharisees (who also studied) was the Holy Spirit indwelling, being one of God's chosen. Do you think he showed himself "approved"?

Here are a few sections from the '09 conference.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,11521.0.html --------

2Tim 3:16  All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

When you read and study the Scriptures APPLY THEM ALL TO YOURSELF for either “doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.”
v

Rom 14:17  For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
v. 18  For he that in these things serves Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.
v. 19  Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

How well do you read and study God Word?

2 Timothy 2:15 Study (that means put forth effort, to be prompt, to be earnest, to be diligent, to endeavor to study, to labor) to show yourself approved unto God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Therefore, we should be doing right, not just to avoid wrath or to receive a reward, but rather because doing good to others IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO.
v

If you read your Bible daily and study them thoroughly and follow and do what it admonishes… think on these things… meditate on God’s laws… God’s ways… forgive everyone and love everyone.  Follow and do these instructions everyday for the rest of your lives and you will BECOME WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT! You will be ready to take on responsibilities in God’s Kingdom.
v

So first of all READ your Bible.  You learn these basic truths and you say, ‘I know the Bible.’  There is a LOT in there, trust me there is a lot.  I can take any subject and I can just keep going and going and going.  I’m going to show you a little bit about how when “you pay attention to all the words” you can keep going and going and going. 

The great thing is, if what you are studying you believe to be the truth, then it is going to PROVE to be the truth. The more you study, it is going to prove to be the truth. I’ve been doing that with several subjects and no matter what direction I go, no matter where I go or how I go about it, what I knew to be the truth last year or five years ago, it’s still the truth.
v

If something is really true, now it doesn’t matter if you know it’s true or not. If it is really is true, then the more you study, the more you look, the more you examine, the deeper you go, if that subject really is true, what you discover will add credence to the fact that it is truth. If it is not true, if it’s false, then the more you study the more you look, the more detailed you go, the deeper you go, the more evidence you have that it’s not true.
-----------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat

gregorydc

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 10:39:18 PM »

Dave I don't know that "study" is the correct word. Probably read would be a better word. I really don't know if I ever truly "studied" the bible or not. I researched (looked for answers) a few things. (Kinda how I was lead here)  I miss reading but don't seem to be able to do it. Craig maybe you are right too. I can put my name in many of the biblical stories and it would fit fine. (In my opinion)  I know there is not one thing I can do on my own without God. That is why this scripture gets to me I guess.  Thank you all so far I know there is more to come and I await all takers.
Greg

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 12:43:23 AM »

Gregory, the link's been posted elsewhere recently, but definitely add this to your reading list.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6452.0.html

I reckon there are any number of reasons why people read the bible. 

1.  It's a hobby to many.
2.  For comfort or inspiration.
3.  Out of a sense of religious obligation.
4.  They think they are (or wannabe) teachers.
5.  They are looking for answers to life's tough questions.
6.  They are looking for support for some idol of the heart.
7-2.2 Billion.  Fill in your own answers.  I don't know them all.

Here's a good one:  They love God and want to know Him better and/or communicate/fellowship with Him through His Word.

I absolutely agree with Kat.  The difference between the carnal and spiritual mind when it comes to the bible is in seeing the Spiritual truths, and having faith to believe them.  I was raised up in Sunday School and church.  I listened intently (most of the time).  I read the bible on my own.  I knew almost every 'verse' Ray teaches on in the letters to Hagee and Kennedy and in the LOF series.  But I never saw what was in plain sight, and I did not believe what I DID see, because of adding to and taking away from the words by inserting the doctrines of men and not believing what God said.  Pick any verse related to the Salvation of All, and I could tell you as a good Baptist why it didn't really mean that, for example.

This phenomenon is a fulfillment of Scripture itself!

Mar 4:11,12  And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables: That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.

Anyway, read your bible.  And try to at least begin to keep these foundational truths (assuming you believe them, as I'm sure you do) in your heart as you do.  And if you want to go deeper, then keep the Keys to Understanding Scripture in your heart and mind as well.  How much, how often, or how long I can't tell you.  I took a long break from 'new stuff' and spent my time 'thinking on these things' I've come to believe since B-T.  When I went back, it was a new book.  I still don't read every day, but that's my situation and need not be anybody else's.  I also don't claim to understand it all, or always get any immediate spiritual benefit from reading. 

I'm pretty sure we don't have to understand every verse...or even know every verse...but in any loving relationship, the more we know of our Spouse makes it that much deeper.     

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 02:41:11 AM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 12:53:47 AM »

Check this out and tell me if you think it's a Spiritual companion or match with 2 Tim 2:15?

1Co 11:19  For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

Do you think Ray knew this and maybe that's one reason he taught as he did?

It's been a fine reason for ME to continue to study...and far, far better than being the one dreaming up my own heresies.  I have some experience with that too.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 12:56:40 AM by Dave in Tenn »

Extol

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 12:11:19 PM »

Dave I don't know that "study" is the correct word. Probably read would be a better word. I really don't know if I ever truly "studied" the bible or not. I researched (looked for answers) a few things. (Kinda how I was lead here)  I miss reading but don't seem to be able to do it. Craig maybe you are right too. I can put my name in many of the biblical stories and it would fit fine. (In my opinion)  I know there is not one thing I can do on my own without God. That is why this scripture gets to me I guess.  Thank you all so far I know there is more to come and I await all takers.
Greg

Hi Greg,

Have you tried listening to an audio Bible? Sometimes that can be more helpful if you're not in a reading mood...I had some Bible tapes that were falling apart because I listened to them so much. You can listen to them while you drive, or while you're falling asleep at night or while you're doing dishes. If your head hurts and you're not in a reading mood, you can sit and close your eyes while listening to it.

Lately, I've spent a lot more time listening to Ray's Bible studies than reading his articles. Between work, school, and art, I'm pretty busy, and it can take a long time to go through a whole article (especially on a computer screen...I prefer reading on paper). But with the audios, I can listen to them while I'm doing my art, or getting ready for work. They have been a huge blessing to me.

Gina

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 12:51:34 PM »

Exactly.  That's what I do too Extol.  Still have to get an MP3 player to be able to listen to them in my car and exercising/going for walks, but my favorite one to watch/listen to is Time and Eternity.  So good.

My favorite part, haha:

You think in two thousand years the Christian world can get their act together on these most basic of concepts?!  No, no they can’t.

God is the 'high and lofty One who inhabits eternity', declared the prophet Isaiah.

He declares no such nonsense at all! 

King James
Isa 57:15 For thus says the High and Lofty One Who inhabits eternity, whose name [is] Holy:

The King James Bible declares that God inhabits eternity.  The word has to do with the future. 

"But exactly how are we to understand the notion of eternity is not clear."

Well that is obvious when you read all of their writings, it is not clear to them.

haha  Love it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 03:00:43 PM by " Shorty " »

Extol

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 01:34:40 PM »

Haha! Yes, I love when Ray talks about Christian theology. I posted this in another thread recently but here's another quote I listened to recently that had me laughing:

"Theologians get so technical. You oughta read some of the stuff they write. When they sit by their desks and they're writing a thesis or something, and you read this gobbledygook and and hodgepodge of convoluted nonsense. They get so deep, and....they don't understand ANYTHING! A child has much greater understanding than they do."

(This is from Despising the Word of God.)

Ricky

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 01:46:18 PM »

Question?, why would any of us read what they say, just wondering. :)
Your heart is God`s gift to you, what you make of it, shall be your gift to Him.

Extol

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »

Question?, why would any of us read what they say, just wondering. :)

Hi Ricky,

I believe it was somewhere else in that same study where Ray said sometimes he will be studying a topic and he's curious what theologians have to say about it, so he will do some reading. Obviously he is not reading it for edification; he's reading it because he's curious.

It's also not a bad idea to have some knowledge of what they believe, because that can be helpful later on if we talk to Christians who want to know about our beliefs. You'll have a head start by being familiar with what they believe. (Ray said in one of his studies "I know what they believe and why they believe it; but they don't know what I believe or why I believe it.") Our knowledge of the beautiful truth of universal salvation would not be as meaningful if we did not also know about the Christian teaching of eternal hell.

Gina

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 03:26:18 PM »

Yeah, Extol!  I saw that.  I love that.

Here's my other favorite (there's so many of them):

But if there is no time, then nothing is changing, nothing is happening, we are living in perpetual neutral, noncommittal of anything. How exciting is that?  I mean they can’t even sing their rock gospel music, you know, because the lyrics change and there is no change in eternity.

You see what a bright future is being held out to us, where we are all in a state of suspended animation for all eternity. Nothing can change, because if it changes we’re living in time and there is no time in eternity. It’s nonsense.

haha!  I love that study.  So what if we're all saved in the end if all we're gonna do is sit there like lumps on a log.  How fun is that?!

Extol

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 03:34:35 PM »

Today I was listening to Sowing Spiritual Seed, and Ray was talking about various prosperity preachers from television, and he said, "How can anyone believe ANY of these people...EVER? GOSH!!!"

LOL.

Ricky,

Another thing to remember is that a lot of Ray's material deals with "exposing those who contradict"...he wouldn't be able to know they contradict or expose them without first having read (or listened) to their material.

Joel

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 10:59:52 PM »

A couple scriptures came to mind while reading this post.

James 1:21-Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

Revelations 1:3-Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.
22:7-Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.

Joel
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.