bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dead Sea Scrolls  (Read 5169 times)

RR777

Dead Sea Scrolls
« on: July 30, 2006, 06:20:33 PM »

Hi Gang,
    I'm a "newbie" and I'm presently reading a translation of the Dead Sea Scrolls. Has anyone here done any reading of, or about, the Dead Sea Scrolls? I'm also wondering if anyone here is familiar with Professor Barbara Theiring and her theories about the scrolls and what your take is. Thanks.

gmik

Re: Dead Sea Scrolls
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 08:47:34 PM »

Hi and Welcome!

I have not read anything about the DSS  but I am impressed that you are! Keep us posted.

Rita

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 10:30:18 PM »

Hello RR777,

I'm an 'oldie' here...mostly a lurker..... okay, 99.9% lurker!

I, too, am interested in reading about ancient history, ancient culture, how the Bible came to be and looking at ancient sects (the same as our 'denominations') and realizing how similiar our 'religious' world is today, compared with the ancient people.

However, I don't think this is a forum where this type of material can be discussed....?

Rita

Rita

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 07:09:41 PM »

I have watched a few programs on Discovery Channel.   I've read a couple of history books, too.

I agree that the Dead Sea Scrolls have sure made an impact on the religious world.  I really don't understand what makes Christians so mad about them.

Some have hated to hear history as much as Salvation of All. Curious.

Rita

Rita

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 09:31:21 PM »

Can we look...study...... contemplate......consider..... 'theory",..... history....???????

Without becoming or be considered a 'heretic'....... ????

Rita

or is it ALL a 'spiritual' view

hillsbororiver

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 10:26:21 PM »

Rita,

I can see nothing inherently wrong with learning and studying as long as we keep this in the forefront of our minds;

Isa 8:20  To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

If we become too enamored of the "wisdom of mankind" we may be subjugated to this;

Isa 8:22  And they shall look unto the earth; and behold trouble and darkness, dimness of anguish; and they shall be driven to darkness.

I am no expert at all in regard to the ancient scrolls of Qumran, but I did attend an exhibit where portions were displayed, it was an interesting experience to see parchments that in some cases (it is claimed) were over 2200 years old, I would test and compare anything there to what we already have in the scriptures and if it does not meet the criteria of what Isa 8:20 admonishes us I would not hold it very dear to my spiritual heart.

Joe 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.