bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange event at the coffee shop today  (Read 12857 times)

lilitalienboi16

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Strange event at the coffee shop today
« on: May 10, 2013, 03:01:03 PM »

So I walked into a coffee shop I normally attend to do my studies and have a good cup.
Today was different than the other days becvause the barista whom I'm friends with and I began talking about our schoolarly endeavors. He told me he was suppose to go to seminary school but that it was too expensive and certain doctrinal issues he had with the school provented him from ultimately going and hence why he is here at the coffee shop now. Well we began talking about doctrine etc... nothing serious or problamatic, he gave me certain insight into doctrine and eternal damnation that I was already aware though I disagreed with in silence.

Well, another customers husband came up to us and said "Guys, I don't have anything against your religion but you shouldn't be talking here, you are distracting this man and he needs to be making our drinks." Despite the barista working on the mans drink and his wife's, apparently, it wasn't good enough, our talking had to stop. So I looked at him not knowing what to say and simply walked away.

Well about 10 minutes later the guys wife came up, after they had received their drinks and after I had left to go to my studies and started berating this barista in front of everyone. Saying that He should be fired, that I am insensitive and a jerk for having a conversation with him while people are waiting for their drinks etc...

Well, the barista didn't hesitate to throw me under the bus and telling the lady things like "He just wouldn't stop talking, I was trying to stop etc..."

Well, that hurt a bit, because I felt our conversation wasn't one sided at all and actually very interesting. I was genuinely interested in what he had to say but that didn't matter.

Anyway, after that, I decided to go up to the lady and apologize to her and her husband even though I wasn't really sure what I was apologizing for. They said it was all fine and it was almost as if she wasn't mad at all and trying to play it off like she didn't just say all these , rather hurtful things about me, in front of the entire store. I'm pretty sure I heard her say I was being an "*******" too. I also apologized to the barrista for "getting him in trouble."

So thats what happened this morning and now here I sit. It was a hurtful experience because I feel like all the employees in the store now have a disdain for me and especially after this guy threw me under the bus no problem... I mean, I guess I can understand since the lady was saying he should be fired and all and perhaps he paniced and it was the only thing he could think of to defend himself but still..

What a strange event. I don't even know what to take from it other than slight sting. I'm fine now but I thought i'd share with you this strange event.
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
Re: Strange event at the coffee shop today
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 07:43:28 PM »

Thanks for sharing Alex.

Me thinks it's nothing to do with the drinks but the word of God piercing into them.

Heb 4:12  For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Many don't like it and it floods them with too many emotions to comprehend, like I'm angry with you but suddenly I'm all cool with it. I'm sure they will be angry again like all of us until they bow the knee.

Isa 45:23  By myself I have sworn; from my mouth has gone out in righteousness a word that shall not return: 'To me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear allegiance.'

Keep talking to your friend Alex.

Love and peace in Christ always

Rhys  ;)
🤫

acomplishedartis

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 04:50:41 AM »

Hi Alex.

Seems like you controled well your self and was able to see farther beyond the situation. Good for you. There is no point in giving back harsh behaviour or make a big drama from extrange situations like that one.

or perhaps you could have say to the lady: ''there are places on earth where child's are begin exploited, people wait days for flights, and you just can't...............*****.......??''   

(you know I am kidding...)

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 02:37:49 PM »

Hi Alex.

Seems like you controled well your self and was able to see farther beyond the situation. Good for you. There is no point in giving back harsh behaviour or make a big drama from extrange situations like that one.

or perhaps you could have say to the lady: ''there are places on earth where child's are begin exploited, people wait days for flights, and you just can't...............*****.......??''   

(you know I am kidding...)

Haha Moises! You are too funny! I miss you dear brother, hope you will visit soon :) Will grab a coffee ;)
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 02:40:42 PM »

Thanks for sharing Alex.

Me thinks it's nothing to do with the drinks but the word of God piercing into them.

Heb 4:12  For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Many don't like it and it floods them with too many emotions to comprehend, like I'm angry with you but suddenly I'm all cool with it. I'm sure they will be angry again like all of us until they bow the knee.

Isa 45:23  By myself I have sworn; from my mouth has gone out in righteousness a word that shall not return: 'To me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear allegiance.'

Keep talking to your friend Alex.

Love and peace in Christ always

Rhys  ;)

Thanks Rhys, I felt a little betrayed by this friend though. That he was so quick and willing to throw me under the bus was quite the surprise to me.

I think he was just more frightened of the lady going to get his manager and really getting him fired so he reacted without thinking.

I agree though and I speculate that this man was more offended by our conversation than anything as he did mention the "Religion aspect." His mentioning of it makes me think he was more offended by our conversation than he is willing to admit! His wife on the other hand.. now she was... another story >.> hah....

All is well today! HOME MADE COFFEE! :D

acomplishedartis

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 08:42:18 PM »

All is well today! HOME MADE COFFEE! :D

cheaper and more quite...  :)

Miss you too Alex.     Someday, God willing, we will share that coffee.

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 10:19:26 PM »

You will be safe today with home made coffee. Ha ha  :P

Rhys
🤫

onelovedread

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 11:33:23 PM »

No disrespect, Alex but If I went into Starbuks and encountered a patron and a barista discussing doctrine, I'd be slightly put off, because I don't think it's an appropriate place for that discussion. Just my opinion.

onelovedread

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 12:41:09 PM »

Hi Alex
Despite my earlier statement, when I look at the incident, I just want you to know also that I think you acted with wisdom and restraint in the face of what took place.
I for one, know that I probably would have reacted badly and made a scene, which would probably have gotten the barista fired.
I sometimes fly off the handle quickly and do not have your control.
Here's hoping that my earlier post did not offend you.
You certainly have reason to have acted as you did based on the following scripture in 1 Peter 3 that states:
"15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander."

You definitely followed that word, Alex.
John

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 02:13:38 AM »

Hi Alex
Despite my earlier statement, when I look at the incident, I just want you to know also that I think you acted with wisdom and restraint in the face of what took place.
I for one, know that I probably would have reacted badly and made a scene, which would probably have gotten the barista fired.
I sometimes fly off the handle quickly and do not have your control.
Here's hoping that my earlier post did not offend you.
You certainly have reason to have acted as you did based on the following scripture in 1 Peter 3 that states:
"15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander."

You definitely followed that word, Alex.
John

Thank you John :)
Your previous post did not offend me, I'm in and out of the forums due to finals week quickly approaching here in school as the semester winds down to an end.
The verse you quoted brings me great comfort. I remember being wounded by what had happened, I couldn't understand the very harsh and cruel criticism I received from the lady. It takes a lot to wound me emotionally and I don't know why this incident did so much.. maybe it was coupled with the feeling of betrayal from a christian I had considered a friend? In the end I don't think he ment any harm looking back at it, but sometimes people don't realize in the moment how their actions, though perhaps totally void of malicious intent, can wound another. I certainly experienced something of the sort on that day. A learning experience none the less. I'm glad you shared though, while I don't think the barista was totally dysfunctional, he perhaps was not working at 100% efficiency considering he was engaged in our conversation. Still.. I am at a loss for finding justification to the reactions I received from the husband and wife. Its okay though, in the past. Forgiven and done with. The Lord was merciful to me and gave me the strength to do the right thing. I find myself doing the wrong things so often that at this point, I'd give anything to be seeing the Lords work in me, even willing to trade a bit of pain in the moment if it means the Lord will bring about some good in this very human soul of mine!

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 08:46:56 AM »

The Barista should apologise to you Alex!!!! LOL ;D

The Barista had to do his job and keep courtesy with the clientele. He did a lousy job by bad mouthing you. Hope he learned something valuable not to do that again. If there is any lesson to learn, that's it.

Arc

ez2u

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 09:42:32 AM »

well it seems like you had a lot of conflict with your own dialogue with these heathens.  A course the Word was convicting them and their flesh was rising up.I would not have apologize to them.  You did nothing wrong.   

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 04:41:50 PM »

This coffee shop seems to be getting stranger by the minute. Am I in some strange twilight episode?

Today I had a lady with schizophrenia come up and talk to me as I was trying to study. Its wierd because we just finished learning about this disease in my abnormal psychology class just this week.

Talk about the strangest and oddest conversation I have EVER, EVER had... I've never met a schizophrenic person before.

WOW. This JUST happened. This coffee shop is weird :<

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 06:36:41 PM »

I wonder what else they serve in this coffee shop  ;D he he

Rhys ;)
🤫

ez2u

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 11:00:48 AM »

Alex  many times schizo people, who are more than their organic brain dysfunction, are trying to give you something.  The fact that they go out of their way to talk with you is a blessing.  They know they are ill and can't relate well to others. The mentally ill are the most swept under the rug or the bus group in this cold hard world.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 11:03:10 AM by ez2u »

se7en

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 12:46:24 PM »

Alex,  I'm with Rhys on this one. What are they serving in that coffee? haha

I do the same thing as well, I go to the local coffee shop to study. You honestly do hear the strangest things... One day, there was a study group from a local church that came in and sat in the table directly across frome me. I could hear everything.

"I'm a three point calvanist" One person said
"I'm a two point" someone piped up. "Because, obviously God has given us all a free will, you know?"

And the conversation got worse, and worse.... and worse.

I remember not long ago, I would be having the same types of conversations right along with them... laughing and carrying on. I feel sad for them, but at the same time, I feel extremely blessed and happy that God pulled me out of that. Thank you Lord for the Truth! 
~Se7en

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 05:51:36 PM »

Alex,  I'm with Rhys on this one. What are they serving in that coffee? haha

I do the same thing as well, I go to the local coffee shop to study. You honestly do hear the strangest things... One day, there was a study group from a local church that came in and sat in the table directly across frome me. I could hear everything.

"I'm a three point calvanist" One person said
"I'm a two point" someone piped up. "Because, obviously God has given us all a free will, you know?"

And the conversation got worse, and worse.... and worse.

I remember not long ago, I would be having the same types of conversations right along with them... laughing and carrying on. I feel sad for them, but at the same time, I feel extremely blessed and happy that God pulled me out of that. Thank you Lord for the Truth!

Oh there is no shortage of religious conversations at the coffee shop! I'm right with you on that one. I hear all the time talk about the scriptures or some asinine doctrine. Sometimes I feel like God is doing it on purpose to me... lol. Havn't to hear all that blasphemy and be completely silent. Sigh... lol. I've gotten better at just brushing it off and reminding myself that I would be exactly where they were if it weren't for God and God alone. I am no better, I remind myself in times like that.

Its strange that coffee shops attract such large groups of religion, mostly christian in my experience, groups. I see many bibles at the coffee shops as well but sometimes I get the sense inside that its all just show with some of them.

I mean.. when I study the scriptures its in private, and I only ever speak to those closest to me about such matters and even then it is not for long as I know of no one in my immediate life (save my brother George) who believes as I do or even cares.

I'm actually at the coffee shop right now, studying for my MCAT exam again.. I've decided to take it a second time in the coming spring of 2014. Just jump starting the gears since I have alot of free time now that I'm on summer break. I feel compelled to do it again and I have a confidence that I'll score better this second time around.

To Ez2u,

It was a very interesting experience and I have nothing against the mentally ill. There are alot of injustices in our world that leave many people victims. There is really not much we can do as it is as our Lord has planned it. We can only try and better ourselves so as to provide a light to those the Lord places around us so that they may not be in complete darkness that pervades this earth so greatly.

Love to you both,

Alex

se7en

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 02:53:57 PM »

Alex,

I feel exactly the way you do concerning the coffee shop antics! Lately, if I hear any religious doctrine going on.... *woooop* on goes my headphones. I'm not listening to any music... it's just to muffle the gibberish.

The Lord bless you in your studies on the MCAT. I've heard it's a difficult test!
~Se7en

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 05:17:15 AM »

Does anyone else feel like me and want to go to this coffee shop?

It could be the new kind of forum hanging out meeting place

Oh well lead the way Alex. I will need a first class plane ticket from NZ and I only stay in 5 star accommodation.

I will let you take care of that for me - No need to thank me

Rhys  ;D
🤫

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 04:19:11 PM »

Does anyone else feel like me and want to go to this coffee shop?

It could be the new kind of forum hanging out meeting place

Oh well lead the way Alex. I will need a first class plane ticket from NZ and I only stay in 5 star accommodation.

I will let you take care of that for me - No need to thank me

Rhys  ;D

lol, one of these days Rhys, if the Lord is merciful, I'll buy you a ticket to cali and you can visit this hole in the wall.. or... rabbit hole in the garden? Someday!

That someday is at least 7 years away... need to get through med school... well get into med school and then through it, Lord willing, and then once I actually have a job... I can buy you one! :P
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.