bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: typo in the Concordant version???  (Read 4770 times)

theophilus

typo in the Concordant version???
« on: May 21, 2013, 01:55:03 PM »

Hello guys,

As you know, the Concordant version of the New Testament is available online. I came upon Mark 14:21

21 seeing that the Son of Mankind is indeed going away according as it is written concerning Him, yet woe to that man through whom the Son of Mankind is being given up! Ideal were it for {{ Him }} if that man were not born!"

The word HIM in curly braces and with a capital H (referring to Christ) is the one I'm asking you whether it's a typo or an translation error. Other versions render this passage as follows:

New International Version (©2011)
The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born."

New Living Translation (©2007)
For the Son of Man must die, as the Scriptures declared long ago. But how terrible it will be for the one who betrays him. It would be far better for that man if he had never been born!"

English Standard Version (©2001)
For the Son of Man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born.”

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
"For the Son of Man is to go just as it is written of Him; but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had not been born."

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
The Son of man indeed goeth, as it is written of him: but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! good were it for that man if he had never been born.

Holman Christian Standard Bible (©2009)
For the Son of Man will go just as it is written about Him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born."

International Standard Version (©2012)
For the Son of Man is going away, just as it has been written about him, but how terrible it will be for that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for him if he had never been born."

NET Bible (©2006)
For the Son of Man will go as it is written about him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would be better for him if he had never been born."

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
“The Son of Man goes just as it is written about him, but woe to that man by whose hand The Son of Man is betrayed. It were better for that man if he had not been born.”

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
The Son of Man is going to die as the Scriptures say he will. But how horrible it will be for that person who betrays the Son of Man! It would have been better for that person if he had never been born."

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
The Son of man indeed goes, as it is written of him: but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! good were it for that man if he had never been born.

American King James Version
The Son of man indeed goes, as it is written of him: but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! good were it for that man if he had never been born.

American Standard Version
For the Son of man goeth, even as it is written of him: but woe unto that man through whom the Son of man is betrayed! good were it for that man if he had not been born.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And the Son of man indeed goeth, as it is written of him: but woe to that man by whom the Son of man shall be betrayed. It were better for him, if that man had not been born.

Darby Bible Translation
The Son of man goes indeed as it is written concerning him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is delivered up; it were good for that man if he had not been born.

English Revised Version
For the Son of man goeth, even as it is written of him: but woe unto that man through whom the Son of man is betrayed! good were it for that man if he had not been born.

Webster's Bible Translation
The Son of man indeed goeth, as it is written concerning him: but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! good were it for that man if he had never been born.

Weymouth New Testament
For the Son of Man is going His way as it is written about Him; but alas for the man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It had been a happy thing for that man, had he never been born."

World English Bible
For the Son of Man goes, even as it is written about him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would be better for that man if he had not been born."

Young's Literal Translation
the Son of Man doth indeed go, as it hath been written concerning him, but woe to that man through whom the Son of Man is delivered up; good were it to him if that man had not been born.'

The CLNT says that it would be IDEAL for Christ if Judas hadn't been born. All other versions say that it would be good for Judas to have never been born. What do you guys think?

Roger

theophilus

Re: typo in the Concordant version???
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 11:22:19 PM »

Ray wrote an article on this.  See what you think.

http://bible-truths.com/JudasNotBorn.htm

Thank you John. I'm reading it now.

Patric

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 01:31:54 AM »

I can hear the blood of Judas cry out....."ooooo sure blame it all on me!" Of course I am being a bit sarcastic....I did read Rays paper on this subject....and certainly I must say as I read the scriptures in my translations in English it looked bad for the dude.....

But once again it is only our sinful nature that will not forgive.....this convinced me in what Ray said....barring the mistake in translation....which obviously is an idol of the heart that the Christendom world love to say IS the reason why Judas must be put into their fabled 'hell-hole'

CAN JUDAS BE FORGIVEN?

God inspired Isaiah to write:

"Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool"  (Isaiah 1:18).

Since God told the entire nation of Judah that their scarlet and crimson sins could be forgiven, who can stand in condemnation and forbid salvation to one single man, and a man whom we are told repented?

Where is there a sin that cannot and/or will not be forgiven?  Do you believe there is a sin that will "NEVER" be forgiven?  Do you think there is a Scripture that states such a thing?  See my commentary on "The unpardonable sin."

The atonement of Jesus covers the sins of "the WHOLE WORLD"  I John 2:2.

John the Baptist said:  "Behold the Lamb that takes away THE SINS OF THE WORLD" (John 1:29).  Yes, it will take God's Judgments to bring about the repentance of the whole world, but this is what God has prophesied:

"For when [not now, but 'when'] Thy Judgments are in the earth the inhabitants of the world [how many is that?] WILL LEARN RIGHTEOUSNESS" (Isaiah 9:26).

Oh that Christians would believe the Word of God.

Is it possible for Jesus to forgive Judas?  Possible?  He already has forgiven Judas for his sins!  Need proof?

Listen carefully:  Were those who spit in the face of Jesus;  punched Him in the mouth;  beat Him within an inch of His life;  nailed Him to a rugged cross;  and pierced Him with a spear; somehow guilty of a LESSER crime than that of Judas giving Jesus a KISS ON THE CHECK?!  Give me a break.  How do intelligent theologians come up with such utter nonsense.  What did Jesus say regarding all those involved in His condemnation, torture, and death?  Let's read it:

"Then said Jesus, "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do" (Luke 23:34).

FORGIVE THEM!  Who are the "them?"  Don't you think it includes "all of them?"  Who are the "all of them" responsible in one way or another for the crucifixion of our LORD?  Certainly it involved all those who took part in any aspect of His real crucifixion, and that would include not only those who nailed Him to the cross, but those who beat Him; and those who mocked Him; and those priests who falsely condemned Him.  Is not Judas also included in all of "them?"

Who else?  What about the Pharisees of whom Jesus said:  "...Ye seek to KILL Me...."  (John 8:37)?  What about all those who assembled together the chief priests, the scribes, the elders, the people, the high priest, the deputies, the high council, and all those who "Consulted that they might take Jesus by subtility, and KILL Him" (Matt. 26:4)? There were multitudes besides Judas.

What about all those Jews that said, "His blood be on us and on our children"  (Matt. 27:25)?  What about all those Jesus included when we read that "He [Jesus] would not walk in Judea, because the JEWS sought to kill Him" (John 7:1)?  What about the entire nation of Israel?   Were they included in the crucifixion of Jesus?  Answer: "...let it be known to you all and to the entire  people of Israel in the name of Jesus Christ, the Nazarene, Whom YOU [the entire nation] CRUCIFY" (Acts 4:10)?  What about all the Gentiles? Are we guilty as well as the Jews?  Did not Paul say that the sins of the Gentiles were also covered by His crucifixion:

"For I delivered unto you [you Gentile Corinthians & other Gentiles -- see Phil. 3:3] first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins  according to the scriptures" (I Cor. 15:3). The truth is that Jesus was put to the cross by the sins of the whole world. We are all responsible.  But what is Jesus' response to all these sins?  "Forgive them."  In God's heart and mind, we are already forgiven:

"God Who quickens the dead, and calls those things which are not as though they were" (Rom . 4:17).

The forgiveness of the whole world is not as yet a fact, BUT IT WILL BE.  When?

"WHEN Thy Judgments are in the earth, [then] the inhabitants of THE WHOLE WORLD will learn righteousness" (Isaiah 26:9).

God has prophesied the outcome of the human race, and that outcome is that there shall be no more pain, death, sorrow or curse (Rev. 21), and that God will be "ALL in all"  (I Cor. 15:28).

Yes, Judas did a evil and cowardly thing, but it was written and prophesied, and therefore someone had to do it.  But let's not think that Judas will be forever doomed to a hellish torture. He will not.  Judas repented and therefore is qualified for salvation:

"But this Man [Jesus],  because He continues forever, hath an unchangeable priesthood.   Wherefore He is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by Him, seeing He ever lives to make intercession for them"  (Heb. 7:24-25).

The whole human race has this promise.

If Christ forgives.....we must forgive.....simple....if only we would obey....well one day we will....when all is in all with HIS will of course.....it maybe hard for us in our humanity to love Judas....or Hitler....or Ted Bundy....or Pharaoh or Osama Bin Laden and fill in the blank with bad guys....but often I remind myself as well as others....that Paul is the worst sinner.....not Judas....not me....not you....not anyone we are in a hurry to put our foot on the neck of and push into unscriptual darkness. So all are forgiven....even the really really bad ones or infamous ones. OOOO that we would believe the scriptures!

theophilus

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 08:18:36 AM »

Amen  Patric

lilitalienboi16

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 04:17:45 PM »

Definitely not a typo, with the things coming Christs way, it would certainly seem from a humanistic, relative perspective that it were better if He had never been born.

But we know in the absolute this is foolish thinking. These things had to be done and Christ was fully willing to do it for the love He shares for His creation.
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.