bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Blissful sinners  (Read 11733 times)

lilitalienboi16

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Blissful sinners
« on: July 19, 2013, 05:06:03 PM »

Does anyone ever just go along sinning blissfully, completely resigned -- though out of reluctance -- to the fact of being powerless in the struggle only to wake some day later with a heavy burden of shame that weighs upon you as a millstone around the neck?

I feel that way this morning.

Sigh. Just ranting, felt like sharing how I felt.

Anyone else experienced this? How did it feel for you? How do you feel about it now, looking back at that particular instance in time? Is this something you experience often? Any particular example you feel comfortable sharing, please do. I'm a little embarrassed to share my specific transgressions here which have caused this feeling now but you can probably guess what it is.

Alex
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Extol

Re: Blissful sinners
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 11:13:17 AM »

Alas my brother, I have felt this way before.

L U S T .  .  .

se7en

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 03:21:24 PM »

Sorry Alex for the late reply, I thought I had replied to this once before... (I think i may have but didn't hit the 'send' button before having to log off)

Absolutely, I've felt the same way. And still do as certain trials still manifest for me to go through (i'm not finished yet).

I remember reading a story about a minister who was hooked on heroin. He knew that it hurt his body, and had destroyed his life. When he got out of rehab for the third time, he thought that this time, he was going to stay clean for good. The next thing he knows is that he wakes up off the floor with a needle in his arm.  Why?

Well, we know that All is of God... to teach, train, instruct us in righteousness... chastise and love us into the kingdom. The trial that you go through is just that... A part of the teaching and instructing.

Tit 2:11-12  For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching [Greek, paidueo - chastens] us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

Also in Romans....

Rom 7:15  For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
Rom 7:16  If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that [it is] good.
Rom 7:17  Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Rom 7:18  For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but [how] to perform that which is good I find not.
Rom 7:19  For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
Rom 7:20  Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Rom 7:21  I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

We know we don't have free will. God subjects us to certain things so that we can go THROUGH the fiery trial and come out the other end having conqured. It's all a very humbling process. In the end we know NONE of this was our work, but it's all HIS work. We acknowledge we can do nothing of ourselves. We are HIS accomplishment, we go through this so that God can set us on a pedastool and smile and say "This is my son, in whom I'm well pleased." We know everything is of God, our sin and our righteousness (all given by Him).

Luke 21:19 In your patience possess ye your souls.

So be sober (not drunk with lies from the enemy), and be vigilant (staying awake and alert to God's truth), but also be patient. You are being delivered from the sin in your life, but it takes place on God's timeframe. Going through a trial takes time, God will bring you through it... complete and finished, as an awesome accomplishment!

I feel for you brother, we are all going through the fiery trial, judgement, your not alone. It feels horrible at the time we go through it but then on the other side we look back and learn from it. I hope this was encouraging!

Tit 2:11-12  For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching [Greek, paidueo - chastens] us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
~Se7en

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 07:18:47 PM »

All I can tell you, Alex, is that certain sins seem so 'comfortable' to me, having been a deep part of my life (if not defining it completely) that at times the thought of "losing" them makes me sad.  I really am more naturally inclined to NOT live Godly, and the idea to LIVE GODLY seems foreign to me at times...more-so in the past than now. 

Over time, I have come to be less drawn to sin...to the point that it delivers little or nothing to me except dullness and regret.  I've also come to be more drawn to living fellowship with Christ and preferring to be that way.  But this change has not come easily and I've suffered a lot to get to this point.  But I understand more and more how God works in me both to will and to DO His good pleasure.  Since all works (good and evil) come out of the heart, the heart is what has to be changed.  This he is doing, by His Grace THROUGH FAITH, just as scripture says it happens.  DO NOT lose faith.  As long as you don't, He will finish what he started in you BY GRACE through faith.  The more you live it, the better you will understand, though I freely admit I can't testify to the END of this, only to the process.     
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

onelovedread

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 09:26:24 PM »

Thanks Dave.
I couldn't have put it better myself. We fall down and we get up knowing only God can change our hearts.
Brethren, let us not lose faith.

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 11:05:09 PM »

It IS for scripture to say, "Brethren, let us not lose faith."  The foolishness of preaching IS how God determines who will have, keep, or lose faith.  If God doesn't want you to believe that right now, then you won't. 
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

G. Driggs

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 09:18:27 AM »

Good stuff Dave.

Heb 10:23  Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.
Heb 10:24  And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.
Heb 10:25  Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Alex I ran across this today, hope it helps. It was something I needed to hear again. Very encouraging!  :)

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,7047.0.html

"TO HIM THAT OVERCOMES"

No matter how hard these things are they are benefits, all of this doing of this stuff is called OVERCOMING.  I have a lot of stuff to overcome yet. 

Here is an interesting thing. You live a while and you overcome certain sins. God gives you the victory over them and you feel good about that. Then your conscience is clean, because you can look back yesterday and you know in your heart and mind you were not flagrantly, willingly, willfully, knowingly sinning, practicing sin. You were trying to do what’s right, you are getting in the habit and the routine of doing what’s right. 

Then low and behold you have to do it all over again. How so? God sends a bigger trial, bigger. What happens? Well with the same capacity of spirituality that you had yesterday and was making progress, it’s not enough to beat this trial today, it’s not enough. If you don’t get help from someplace, then you are going down. Is this a secret to any of you? It’s like whoa, I thought we were doing pretty good when I wiped out some of those other hurdles, you know (I kind of amuse myself with God sometimes). I thought that was a pretty good victory there. Now it’s not some strange thing from outer space, it’s the same trials you always have. Paul says;

1Peter 4:12  Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:

These are things that are common, these are common to humanity, they just get bigger. I could deal with that, but now God hits me with this and this amount of spirituality from yesterday isn’t going to take care of this problem today. That’s what it means when we have to grow in grace and knowledge. Grace trains us, now you’ve got to grow in your training. 

It’s like you go to boat camp in army. They call it basic training. Why is it basic? Because what you do the first week gets harder the second week and the third and forth. It gets harder, but you get good at doing the stuff that was hard on the first day. Now they give you stuff that’s harder yet. 

Low and behold if you should ever want to be an officer. Boy they really put the thumb screws to you then. I use to just hang around the corner in Fort Knox, Kentucky and watch. They would be training officers out on the grounds and I would just watch and I would pretend, could I take that kind of harassment and physical excursion, if I were trying to be an officer. It’s pretty tough, pretty tough stuff. 

So it’s all overcoming. Paul likens this to overcoming and John wrote the first three chapters of Revelation, “To him that overcomes.” 

Repenting of your past sins, accepting Jesus as your Saviour and receiving God’s Spirit does not pronounce you “SAVED.” It is not the conclusion of your spiritual life, but rather the very beginning. 

What Paul did is called “overcoming,” and it’s the hardest thing in life to do, but the rewards are high. A few fringe benefits are:

Access to the TREE OF LIFE, which means you will be given immortality, never die again or fear death or worry about death.

You avoid THE SECOND DEATH, which is not only the second death spiritually, but all the judgment and stuff that goes with it. Why? Because you are judged now, if you are judged here you don’t need to be judged and condemned with the world later.

You get a NEW NAME, this means a lot of things, but it’s like you have to believe in the name and the name is everything that it represents and not just a new name, a better name.

POWER over the nation.

RIGHTEOUS garments, which mean we will be clothed in a perfect attitude, perfect righteousness.

Your new name will be CONFESSED BEFORE GOD THE FATHER.

Made a PILLAR, a mainstay, a vital support in the Temple of God.

SIT WITH CHRIST IN HIS THRONE.
(Rev. 2 & 3)

That’s a lot of good stuff. In fact here’s a problem with it. It’s too profound, we almost don’t even meditate on it. See if you could go into some kind of training and after so long you would be like a cabinet member of the president of the United States, you would say that would be pretty neat. You might put up with a lot to go into some kind of training like that, because you would hob knob with the president on Air Force One, that a pretty neat plane. You would meet all the other royalty around the world and so on and that would be pretty good. 

Don’t you reckon this is a little higher calling then that? It is a high calling! Really high! Probably too high for our spirit to take it in. We’re just... oh okay that is pretty cool. But it really is great and I suppose, I’m thinking the further we go in life, if we believe these things, then it becomes more tangible. Not only will we believe them and think about them, we’ll start expecting them. Where the King James uses hope the Concordant uses expectation. We will expect it, we’ll be looking for it that much.

se7en

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 11:33:55 AM »

Thanks Driggs! I love this part...

"What Paul did is called “overcoming,” and it’s the hardest thing in life to do, but the rewards are high."
~Se7en

Ian 155

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 08:47:11 AM »

I believe The Fear Of God [what he is able to put you through - or the experience he has put some thru] would contribute significantly to avoiding wilful sin .

One sure can tumble fast I believe it is Gods Will that ye/we all eventually come to that perfect place no matter how fire proof we think we are

Ian

Pride really does come Before a fall,like it or not...and 7 more evil spirits worse than the original one is certainly no joke.

dave

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 09:35:43 AM »

It I didn't I would have already made it.
Like one friend has sad earlier, it's called overcoming, and I accept that's what He has me doing now, HE is the time giver, watcher, and stopper. Some times my cry is like David's, "How long Lord, how long!" Everyday I find more of His Rest, every morning and every evening I am thankful that what ever "dust" is in my rising and laying down, it is for His purpose, not for my guilt.

Job 14:7  For there is hope of a tree, If it be cut down, that it will sprout again, And that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:8  Though the root thereof wax old in the earth, And the stock thereof die in the ground;
Job 14:9  Yet through the scent of water it will bud, And put forth boughs like a plant.

loretta

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 05:24:22 AM »

And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.  And he (Jesus) said unto them, When ye pray, say...

Luke 11:4    And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.

Yes, over time, a long time, it does become a lifestyle of overcoming, but we have to be constantly watchful. PRAY!

microlink

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 11:36:18 AM »

Hi all,

The statement that Jesus made in Luke 11:4 was not a request but a statement of fact. We are tempted but not of God. God does gives  us power thu His Spirit to resist temptation. God tempts no one.

Jas 1:13  Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

onelovedread

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 12:35:45 PM »

Alex,
Do you find in your walk that at times when you're spending a lot of time in the Word that you tend to be a little less powerless in the struggle?
I kind of experience that but the problem is that I often don't feel inclined to get into the Word.
What's your take on this?
JC

gerard_dsouza

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 04:01:27 PM »

Alex, remember when you hit rock bottom (total failure and shame and whatever). There is only one way and that is up.
This verse rings in mind: God gives Grace to the humble and resist the proud.
This is a divine principle and no one can defy this. It works precisely. You are so fortunate to know God and Jesus.
Believe that he loves you and live in his love. Let the thought of God loves you so much that he wants to save you sink into your being.
I repeat another word to myself: God is Love.
Gerry

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 01:17:38 AM »

Alex,
Do you find in your walk that at times when you're spending a lot of time in the Word that you tend to be a little less powerless in the struggle?
I kind of experience that but the problem is that I often don't feel inclined to get into the Word.
What's your take on this?
JC

I'm not Alex, but maybe I can still chime in.  Ray talks about this to some degree in the following bible-study...how "much" is enough.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6452.0.html

I really don't think there are all that many "principles" in Scripture, though I can't say how many there are.  I keep seeing the same ones over and over.  "Many are called, few are chosen" is everywhere, for one example.  What I've needed is to be continually reminded of these not-so-obvious-to-the-carnal-mind truths...this is a strange work the Lord is doing and it isn't 'taught' anywhere in theologies. 

Why is it BETTER to be "cold" than "lukewarm"?  Who preaches that?  Why must we all 'fall away' and 'lose our first love'?  This is completely contrary to what drips out of pulpits and sunday school lessons.  What does it mean that if I have faith as a grain of mustard seed, I can say to the mountain "Be moved" and will be be moved?  Is there a 'message' there for both the called and the chosen? 

Why does one verse say that "if any man say he has no sin, he deceives himself and the truth is not in him" and another one say that "We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not."  Is it important to understand this "apparent" contradiction?  How do we reconcile it, if it is?

One or two "principles of Scripture" will blow away even the NEED to know all the details of the physical. 

I did a quick 'study' once trying to locate all the "commandments" of the NT.  Perhaps the most common was "Do not be deceived" and others like it.  There are plenty of well-meaning souls out there 'talking away' (and not all of them are "orthodox christians").  Is it worth it to track down statements to "see if these things be true" and not be deceived?

Something supernatural happens when we discover a genuine, un-contradicted truth, and that is the easiest way to go about it--"seeing if these things be true." 

Here's a thought from a well-meaning soul.  Don't be deceived, and see if it's true.  I've been benefited from Scripture more by having it EXPLAIN my life to me, than by trying to "CONFORM" my life to it.  Why did I love Jim Bakker more during and after his train-wreck than I ever did while he was grinning away on international television?  That ain't normal. 

When I see "If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?" I don't "see" a commandment.  I see a vital piece of information.  And if there IS a "commandment" in this verse, it is (for me) "Don't say you love God if you hate your brother".  The "commandment" follows:  And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

Which brings me back around to the link to the Bible-Study.  There is nobody in Christendom who "loves his brother" more than those who have faith that he will be "saved".  Of course we're not perfect (though we are commanded to be as perfect as the Father), still have much to overcome (though we have overcome much), and must endure to the end (though we can rejoice in endurance if we have faith). 

I am CAUSED to go to the Scriptures.  I mean that in a real, literal, and practical (not an oogy-boogy) sense.  There is always a REASON why I go.  Some I've mentioned above.  On days when there is no reason, I don't go.  Don't know if that's RIGHT, WRONG or In-Between, but it's the case.  When I go, I always "find" something for or about my life.  It may not be the key to the universe, but it is (by the Grace of God) what I need for now.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 01:42:05 AM by Dave in Tenn »

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 11:04:13 AM »

Sorry all, I've been in italy and I have a lot of reading to catch up on, including this thread.

Forgive me for my briefness, I did skim many of the replies but I havn't given them the attention they deserve. I return back on thursday of this week to the states. I will, God willing, then be able to give a proper response.

With love,

Alex
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 09:13:39 PM »

Sigh... as brittney spears would say... "oops I did it again"....
Sigh sigh sigh... sorry just felt like complaining and saw no reason for a new thread.

thewatchman

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 11:11:03 PM »

You can's live in that endless cycle of self reproach and self loathing. That shows me that you don't really belief that God made you sinful. He did. You are a sinner. It's not your fault. What you need to concentrate on is the thing that God is dealing with right at this moment.

Psa 119:105  NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my

The light of his word doesn't light up the entire journey, only the next step. Pay attention to the small things, because God is trying to teach you "in the moment". Not later, not tomorrow, but right now. You do not have the right or authority to judge nor condemn yourself because your own judgement is unrighteous and not merciful..

Jas 2:13  For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.

Then as you have had the dealings of God in that area, it no longer has authority over you and you have learnt to overcome in that area. It will be hard, but the flesh must die. Then as you have learnt the wisdom of God for that area, you can now say...

Psa 119:11  Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.  8)

indianabob

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 10:13:49 AM »

Great and helpful life lessons from each member.
Thanks for the sharing and the insights it provides.
This is how "iron sharpens iron" as brethren comfort one another in love.
We are so blessed in our challenging journey with God.
Indiana Bob

rickylittleton

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 03:54:49 PM »

One scripture that has help me in "this walk" is from the Rotherham's Emphasized Bible Romans 8:4-6 {In order that *the righteous requirement of the law* might be fulfilled in us- Who*not according to flesh do walk*, but according to spirit; For *they who according to flesh have their being*. But* they according to the spirit *The things of the spirit*; For* what is preferred by the flesh is death, Whereas * what is preferred by the  spirit *is* life and peace. Just wanted to add my brain to this! Tim
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.