bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If I Be Lifted Up From The Earth...  (Read 8305 times)

Nathan

If I Be Lifted Up From The Earth...
« on: July 30, 2013, 11:07:15 PM »

I'm sure some or most here are familiar with the song "Lift Jesus Higher":

Lift Jesus Higher,
Lift Jesus Higher,
Lift Him Up For The World To See,
He Said, If I Be Lifted Up From The Earth, I Will Draw All Men Unto Me.

I'm sure those who are familiar with this song would agree that it is referring to lifting Jesus up from the earth to honor Him, praise Him, or make Him Lord, etc. It's a very joyful song - I remember singing it as a kid without a clue as to the passage of Scripture it referenced.

John 12:

32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

33 This he said, signifying what death he should die.

It seems the song writer and those that sing it, forgot to read the following verse. As most at BT already know, Jesus being "lifted up from the earth" referred to His crucifixion and is not some metaphor meaning "worship or praise". In the context of the song and the way it's sung, if one "lifts Him up", then he or she is one of those who are drawn unto Him. It's like the metaphorical "lifting Him up" is the prerequisite to be "saved".

Of course, the irony is that He was already LITERALLY "lifted up from the earth" on the cross and as He said, once that happens, He "will draw ALL men unto Me [Him]." The song is sung in a giddy, "good news" sort of way - of course, it's only good news for those few who "lift Him up", however if one were to change the lyrics of the song to reflect the actual meaning of the verse of Scripture it was taken from, Christendom would no longer desire to sing it.

Here's how the lyrics should go:

All Men Shall Be Saved Now,
All Men Shall Be Saved Now,
Because He Was Lifted Up,
He said, If I Be Lifted Up From The Earth, I Will Draw ALL MEN Unto Me.

Now that's a song worth singing!

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: If I Be Lifted Up From The Earth...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 11:46:57 PM »

;D

Reminds me of some of my mother's struggles with her faith.  At some point, she said she had "lost the joy of my salvation", a common complaint about revival-time.  Yet the Scripture she and others who use that phrase is from:

Psa 51:12,13  Restore to me the joy of Thy salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.  Then I will teach transgressors Your ways; and sinners will turn back to You.

Pretty big difference between the 'joy of my salvation' and the 'joy of Thy salvation'.

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

se7en

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 11:30:47 AM »

Awesome guys!

My I left the babylonian world about 8 months ago... my wife about 3 months ago. The Lord has not opened her eyes yet, but she says that she just doesn't get anything from "the church" anymore. That's the reason she left. But now she was telling me just a couple of days ago that she misses "praise and worship". That she would like to attend a church just to go to praise and worship.

It's songs like that, that so devilishly slip in lies! I pray that God protect her if she persues this course. That her ears and eyes be opened to the truth.

~Se7en

Nathan

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 02:58:36 PM »

Reminds me of some of my mother's struggles with her faith.  At some point, she said she had "lost the joy of my salvation", a common complaint about revival-time. 

Many Christians also refer to the loss of joy after they become "saved" as a "post honeymoon" slump. I always thought the honeymoon came after the wedding and last I checked, the bride is still being prepared for the groom.

Christendom: "repeat after me the sinner's prayer...10 seconds later: you are now a spotless bride; I now pronounce you man and wife. The wedding feast will be held after service in the church cafeteria - there will be coffee and doughnuts."

New Bride: "Isn't salvation cool - I can't wait for the honeymoon!"

Yet the Scripture she and others who use that phrase is from:

Psa 51:12,13  Restore to me the joy of Thy salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.  Then I will teach transgressors Your ways; and sinners will turn back to You.

Pretty big difference between the 'joy of my salvation' and the 'joy of Thy salvation'.

Pretty big difference indeed, Dave  :)

cjwood

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 03:53:03 PM »

great post response nathan.  like the analogy.

claudia

indianabob

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 08:27:25 PM »

Hello Se7en,
Rest assured that her ears and eyes shall be opened, it is just a matter of time.  ::)

However, God is very patient and loving toward spouses who have to live with the called and chosen. It isn't any easier for them than it is for us.
So I recommend that you REST in the knowledge that her eyes shall be open when our Lord is ready.
Meanwhile you have a wonderful life companion who is there to teach you patience and loving endurance.

So just keep on, keeping on and remember that a day is as a thousand years for God
Regards, Indiana Bob

Awesome guys!

My I left the babylonian world about 8 months ago... my wife about 3 months ago. The Lord has not opened her eyes yet, but she says that she just doesn't get anything from "the church" anymore. That's the reason she left. But now she was telling me just a couple of days ago that she misses "praise and worship". That she would like to attend a church just to go to praise and worship.

It's songs like that, that so devilishly slip in lies! I pray that God protect her if she persues this course. That her ears and eyes be opened to the truth.

se7en

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 01:57:02 PM »

Thanks Indianabob!

That is very comforting. I know she's in the Lord's hands. I yelled and kicked and screamed and threw a fit like a little kid for a time while God was teaching me some truths. She has stayed right here with me through all of it. Thank you God for my wife!

It is patiently resting and knowing and trusting that He has her. It's very comforting thoughts and words, thank you Indianabob!
~Se7en

indianabob

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 01:19:13 AM »

Se7en,
You are very welcome.
Just be sure that you tell her frequently and sincerely how blessed you are to have her love.
Girls like that! They like it a lot.... ;D

loretta

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 12:07:30 PM »

Nice lyrics Nathan, though I doubt anyone in church would get a spiritual high singing them! :)

However, God is very patient and loving toward spouses who have to live with the called and chosen. It isn't any easier for them than it is for us.

Yes, it isn't any easier for them than it is for us, especially when after knowing 'half truths' we act so self-righteously, spouting bible verses, hitting them on the head with the bible (sort of).  I must say, God is very patient and loving towards us as well!

Now that I know the 'whole truth', well almost, all the religiosity has departed and I am finally enjoying my sabbath rest and hubby must be wondering at the change.  How do I explain it all?

Just be sure that you tell her frequently and sincerely how blessed you are to have her love.
Guys like that as well, :)  :) thanks for the reminder, Indianabob!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 12:52:24 PM by loretta »

indianabob

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 02:52:48 AM »

Now that I know the 'whole truth', well almost, all the religiosity has departed and I am finally enjoying my sabbath rest and hubby must be wondering at the change.  How do I explain it all?

Friend Loretta,

It really isn't necessary to explain it very much to "hubby" just let him enjoy it and be happy in his ignorance. A woman is most attractive when she is her mysterious self.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.