bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are we a house?  (Read 5655 times)

Joey Porter

Are we a house?
« on: August 01, 2006, 01:06:12 AM »

I am just kind of trying to piece some things together and I'm eager to see what you all think about all of this. We all know that we are members of God's spiritual household, but it seems that we ourselves are individually considered to be "houses" as well.

Matthew 12
43"When an evil spirit comes out of a man, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. 44Then it says, 'I will return to the house I left.' When it arrives, it finds the house unoccupied, swept clean and put in order. 45Then it goes and takes with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that man is worse than the first.

There are a few things that stand out to me about this passage.  The first is that Jesus equates a man with a house.  Now, we probably all believe that the "beast" of Revelation resides within ourselves.  So, what do we make of this next passage:

Matthew 12
29"Or again, how can anyone enter a strong man's house and carry off his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man? Then he can rob his house.

This is right after Jesus had driven out a demon. Could the "strong man" be the beast?  Does Christ tie up the "strong man" within us and carry off his posessions?  What possesions??

2 Timothy 2
20In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for noble purposes and some for ignoble. 21If a man cleanses himself from the latter, he will be an instrument for noble purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work.

Perhaps Christ ties up the strong man within us and steals his possessions, those articles for ignoble puposes, so we are fit to do good works.

Now, let's go back to Matthew 12:45:

45Then it goes and takes with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that man is worse than the first.

Upon reading that verse, is anyone else reminded of:

Revelation 13
11Then I saw another beast, coming out of the earth. He had two horns like a lamb, but he spoke like a dragon. 12He exercised all the authority of the first beast on his behalf, and made the earth and its inhabitants worship the first beast, whose fatal wound had been healed.

It seems that when a person is called by God, his house his swept clean.  However, sometime after that, the evil spirit that was in the house gathers 7 other spirits more wicked than itself, and returns to that house!  It appeared as though the beast was dead, but the deadly wound was healed.  The first beast was out of the sea.  A person is called by God out of the unsaved sea of humanity, but the next beast is out of the earth, which, of course, represents the called. 

Perhaps this is also what Christ was referring to when He spoke of the light within us becoming darkness.  The darkness is so deceiving that we wouldn't even realize that it's darkness without Christ shining His light within us.  We think we're doing the will of God but we're really doing satan's work.

Perhaps everyone who gets called by God once again becomes inhabited by the second beast, and the person's condition is worse than before -  beause now, the person believes he is on the right path - he has two horns like a lamb, appears righteous on the outside, but doesn't even realize that on the inside he is full of uncleanliness.  He suddenly has a golden calf in his heart, believing he is worshiping God and doing God's work, but doesn't realize that he is poor, blind and naked.  He says "I am worshipng the God who delivered me from sinful bondage!"  But he doesn't even realize that he has set up a golden calf somewhere along the way during his journey.

Here are some more interesting observations about how a "man" relates to being a "house."

Matthew 10
36a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.'

Perhaps there is a deeper spiritual meaning to the above verse that relates to Romans 7:23:

Romans 7
23but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members.

Also, Jesus told us that if we put His words into practice, we are building our house on solid ground.  But if we don't, we are building our house on the sand.

Luke 15
 8"Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Does she not light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it?

Christ lights a lamp in us, and sweeps us clean.

Again, I'm just trying to gain insight and piece things together.  If anyone disagrees, please feel free to reply.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 01:10:01 AM by Joey Porter »

hillsbororiver

Re: Are we a house?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 01:19:29 PM »

Hello Joey & Bobby,

It sure looks like we as individuals and as "His church" are compared to a house, a solid foundation is spoken of often. I can tell you as a home builder there is nothing more important than a solid, structurally sound foundation when building a house out of earthly materials. It is also true of the spiritual growth in our lives. Our God is a God of order and not chaos and times and seasons are also spoken of frequently, there is an order to building anything. You cannot put the roof on before the trusses and load bearing walls are in place. He is building His temple in us, it must have a solid foundation.

2Ch 8:16  Now all the work of Solomon was prepared unto the day of the foundation of the house of the LORD and until it was finished. So the house of the LORD was perfected.

Zec 8:9  Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Let your hands be strong, ye that hear in these days these words by the mouth of the prophets, which were in the day that the foundation of the house of the LORD of hosts was laid, that the temple might be built.

Luk 6:48  He is like a man which built a house and digged deep and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.

Our Lord goes on to tell us the consequences of the house built on a less than perfect foundation;

Luk 6:49 But he that heareth and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built a house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.

A house built directly on "the earth" and not on "the Rock" anybody want to venture an opinion here?

Thank you Joey for starting this very interesting topic,

Joe

Joey Porter

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 01:08:45 AM »

Thank you for your contributions. As far as Luke 6:49 goes, I think it possibly lines up with this verse:

Matthew 21
44He who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces, but he on whom it falls will be crushed.

I also think it's interesting that a house divided against itself will fall.  Possibly that has something to do with trying to serve both God and mammon.

ned

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 01:45:01 AM »

Great topic to learn from Joey.

Matthew 12
29"Or again, how can anyone enter a strong man's house and carry off his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man? Then he can rob his house.

This is right after Jesus had driven out a demon. Could the "strong man" be the beast?  Does Christ tie up the "strong man" within us and carry off his posessions?  What possesions??

Matt12:29 KJV = "Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house."

equals all this

Luke 11:21: "When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace"

is equal to

Eph 2:2: "Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience.  (we kept "our" palace because "we" reigned!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke 11:22: But when a stronger than he shall come upon him, and overcome him, he taketh from him all his armour wherein he trusted, and divideth his spoils.

is equal to

Col 2:15: And having spoiled principalities and powers, he (Jesus) made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Your quote:
"Perhaps Christ ties up the strong man within us and steals his possessions, those articles for ignoble puposes, so we are fit to do good works."

Most definitely! He (stronger than we) comes in to us (proves it isn't our choice, but HIS) and spoils that sinful nature of ours, we overcome the evil only because HE IS IN US.

Quite interesting. Matt12:29 was never clear to me in the past > the blinders have just been lifted! Thank you God!
Thanks Joey.

Marie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 17 queries.