bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: World Mosquito Day  (Read 6365 times)

loretta

World Mosquito Day
« on: August 21, 2013, 05:47:26 AM »

Aug 20 is designated as World Mosquito Day, not to celebrate the mosquito, but Sir Donald Ross who discovered that the female mosquito was the culprit in spreading the malarial parasite.
http://www.dosomething.org/blog/world-mosquito-day-5-facts-about-malaria#

Watch these Malarious videos. http://www.collegehumor.com/malarious
More than 30 celebrities. 24 videos. One cause. Millions of stupid, awful, disgusting mosquitoes. Pay a dollar, five dollars, or whatever you want, and watch these comedy stars do awesome things to help squash this awful disease. Every contribution treats a child for Malaria.

onelovedread

Re: World Mosquito Day
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 12:34:02 PM »

The 90 year old drunk - Are you referring to JFK?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just playing JFK! You're not a day over 45, right?
We haven't sparred in a long time, and I just couldn't resist!
Good thing you don't know my address! Hahaha

onelovedread

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 12:58:18 PM »

Loretta
You know that has always been one of the first questions I plan to ask Jesus when I meet Him:
"Lord, why did you create mosquitoes and roaches?"

JFK
Strange you should mention the Corleones. I spent most of Saturday afternoon watching The Godfather 2. In my view one of the best movies ever made.

Kat

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 02:25:48 PM »

Hi Loretta,

We are living in an age that is to gain knowledge of good and evil, that knowledge comes in many forms. I guess the mosquito is just part of this "evil experience" (Ecc 1:13, CLV) that we have something as utterly despised as the mosquito. It brings about some of the suffering in this world, necessary for God's plan... but it also brings out some good in people as they serve others, by discovering the disease, by developing meds and caring for the sick that are afflicted by this evil.

Kat

onelovedread

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 04:04:18 PM »

Wow Kat,
Thanks. That's a brilliant answer. I never considered it from that perspective.

loretta

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 04:17:28 AM »

Yes, brilliant answer indeed.  Good and evil in the same tree. Tks Kat, I'll remember that each time I swat a mosquito!

JohnChris, its JfK not JFK.  For a moment I thought you were talking about Kennedy and I thought, what next - an FBI conspiracy! :)

JfK, you really are going on like a 90 year old! :)  Did you watch the Malarious comedies?  Come on, only  $5 or $1, even if not all of it goes to charity.  Good and evil in the same tree...

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 07:14:59 PM »

Greets John from K.
I too refrain from contributing to the Ole reddish cross, ever since my U. S. Air Force days.
I also don't get along with United Way especially since I was drafted into soliciting for them by my former employer the U. of Notre Dame that was seeking bragging rights within the local community. I suppose that they all do some good, but I have never liked the way that they divide up the spoils and the percentage (Red Cross 60%) that they need for expenses and the salary paid to their President.

dodrill

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 08:08:37 PM »

head for the hills :) no reason not to give charitably - but this should be part of every government safety precaution - or decent tax payers money donation - not sure about you guys but we pay 45% of our income to eradicate these things - enemies small and foreign? just watched a doccie about the great plague in Europe - no small feat ignorance and the rat - and learning hygiene

indianabob

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 12:46:16 AM »

head for the hills :) no reason not to give charitably - but this should be part of every government safety precaution - or decent tax payers money donation - not sure about you guys but we pay 45% of our income to eradicate these things - enemies small and foreign? just watched a doccie about the great plague in Europe - no small feat ignorance and the rat - and learning hygiene

Hello Hayley,
Large, complex subject, national charity, religious charity and so forth.
Would you care to explore this topic a little more as it is practiced in various Nations around the world?
Maybe in a new thread?
I would like to read a few examples of how it is done elsewhere and the justification for it being managed by the government and large organizations rather than person to person as I believe the Bible recommends.

Respectfully offered, Indiana Bob

loretta

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 06:01:39 AM »

Hard to disagree with all of you.  Whether the pesky mosquitoes, HIV/AIDS, garbage disposal, poverty, hunger, etc, most of it can be handled according to the biblical mandate of Matthew 25:35 For I was an hungred , and ye gave me meat : I was thirsty , and ye gave me drink : I was a stranger, and ye took me in, and Matthew 7:12. Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. But the mandate is for the few, spiritually and temporally, whilst the world is peopled largely with the called who relegate their responsibilities to 'their church' and the unbelievers who expect the government to do everything.  So charities do step in to fill the huge gap, and some do it worthily whilst others do not.  Shamefully, so-called Christian charities are the worst offenders.  One noteworthy exception, being Mother Theresa, who lived out the mandate in her personal life.  I use to think she was not a Christian as she did not evangelise those in her care, but now I have a greater appreciation for her.  While I will not give to fraudulant charities, I'm not really concerned where each of my rupee goes.  I believe in God's economy, money will be caused to be moved around according to His desire and pleasure, however much we may want to control its ebb and flow.

dodrill

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 09:26:00 AM by hayley »

indianabob

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 12:30:53 PM »

Thanks Hayley,
I'll check those out and respond later.
Indiana Bob

dodrill

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 08:13:27 AM »

I remember Ray saying that the tithe in the old days was like paying your tax nowadays
what did the Temple do with it then?
look after the poor and the needy?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 08:25:33 AM by hayley »

indianabob

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 06:50:39 PM »

Valid Point Hayley,

I would just add that God only demanded a tenth.
The same tenth from all citizens to whom God had given an increase or a profit from crops.
Plus I think that this tenth provided religious education for the children of the community.
Reading, writing, Jewish history, culture etc. so that most children, by the age of 13 were able to express their beliefs in detail in front of an audience.

I think that the New Testament illustrates quite a bit of social poverty in Jerusalem. Even the followers of Jesus who heard his preaching had to be fed. There was no corner store or deli to visit for lunch and charity was personal and local. Example Luke 10:30 the good Samaritan provided help for one who was left to die. No free hospital, no poor who were obese, it was a much different time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.