bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disliking People  (Read 4030 times)

Laa Laa

Disliking People
« on: August 30, 2013, 01:17:14 AM »

A friend of mine posed a question on her facebook of disliking people and whether it was wrong or not. The responses were interesting and one person posted the passage of Matthew 5:43-48. My friend then thanked that person for putting her "in check", but for me it left me even more confused.

I've never thought of disliking someone without the intentions of harming them in any way, as a something sinful. There are some people that we just don't get along with and it doesn't have to be anything malicious behind it. Is that still wrong?

Hello to you all btw. I haven't been on this board since the beginning of the year.

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Disliking People
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 02:52:26 AM »

I don't know of a hard and fast rule, but here's a thought.  All of those 'strikers, suers, compelers, haters, abusers, and persecutors' are doing that to YOU...unless you are the one doing it to THEM.  Could even be 'mutual', I reckon...but Jesus is talking to US.  I don't see in there "seek those people out".

What is impossible for man is possible for God. 

Here's how Paul said it: 

Rom 12:14  Bless those that persecute you; bless and do not curse.
Rom 12:15  Rejoice with those that rejoice, and weep with those that weep.
Rom 12:16  Be of the same mind toward one another. Not minding the high things, but associating with the humble. Do not become wise in your own opinion.
Rom 12:17  Repay no one evil for evil; providing that which is good before all men.
Rom 12:18  If possible, as much as depends on you, keeping peace with all men.

The way I see it, these people are actually in your life...close enough to 'strike you on your cheek', after all.  They are not nebulous people floating around in the culture.  Why would you be concerned with those at all?  Think on whatsoever things are pure, and lovely, and true and of a good report.  Save your 'returning good for evil' for those God puts you in direct contact with.  MAYBE that includes people on the internet too.

Here's a great study Ray did on "love" and its quite practical application.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3719.0.html

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 03:15:07 AM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

acomplishedartis

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 03:49:20 AM »

Here's a great study Ray did on "love" and its quite practical application.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3719.0.html

The answer is just right there. Too big for one post in here.
Thanks Ray for putting all those words together. That is one of my favorite papers.

loretta

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 07:04:38 AM »

Absolutely, Jesus just raised the bar higher.  Ray couldn't have explained it better.  And I havn't heard it explained like this anywhere!

You don't necessarily dislike people just because you don't get along with them. Yet, even if you do, you just love them the way God loves them, agape style - expecting nothing in return.  Love, because we are commanded to love. It takes practice, nay, the spirit of God within us to agape love.  God doesn't expect you to hang out with them.  He doesn't hang out with unbelievers, murders, adulterors, liars etc either, but he does agape them.  It is tough, but it does get easier, as you commit yourself to obedience and bow to the soverign will of God.  And it is His will to save ALL, including those whom you dislike! And using you to agape them, may be part of the plan. :)

Good to know you.  Come hang out with us on the forum! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.