bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ye cannot serve God and mammon.  (Read 3639 times)

loretta

Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
« on: August 31, 2013, 07:24:28 AM »

It seems that we cannot go very far before money becomes the subject of our discussions.  As Kate is likely to point out, there is both good and evil in it :)   And don’t we know it!  Yet there seems to be this constant struggle with materialism, an innate desire to have more.  Ray said that at some point in his life, before he was really converted, he did experience a season of wealth.  Yet perhaps close to the end of his life, he was glad that he did not have abundant riches for he knew it would have replaced his first love.  Now some of us here on the forum are not so young, others babes and still others have wisdom on their side.  The question I have is, does the truth abt  Mt 6:24 become a reality only in hindsight?  Is it only after much striving against this mammon that we have real victory.  Does it continue to be a real enemy all our lives?  Personally, I have everything I could possibly need and thank God I have no desire for the trappings of wealth and high living. 

Earlier I would equate material wealth with sure loss of salvation and scorn wealth. Now I know it is not true and that God chooses to prosper some people in this age, so that they will be spiritually blinded by the entanglements of wealth. Yet, when I see people prosper materially, it raises deep seated feelings that are not quite ‘christian’.     I know that I am content, but are these feelings, envy? Guess sometimes, we’d like to have our cake and eat it too.  Be followers of Christ and Mamman, which is probably why Christendom has so cleverly crafted the prosperity gospel.  Honestly which of us would turn our backs on wealth as taught by the parable of the rich young ruler? Monks, perhaps, but that is a form of works.  Seems it is all of God, who has given us this desire for wealth and strips us of it too.  Both the wealth and the desire.

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 12:10:54 PM »

Hi Loretta,
Well put and helpful.

at my age the thing that I miss most about limited money is not being able to do "something" anything at all to have some new experience. I used to be able to jump in my car and just GO for a ride somewhere, where ever the road led, just to get away from home for a while and see some new thing.
Even to go "window" shopping to see what I could buy IF I had the money.
Then to return home having purchased nothing other than a quick lunch, satisfied that my day had not been utterly boring.

So then my point is that I didn't want to be richer than anyone else, just free to roam and have my mind stimulated by some new thing.
I recall that there is a scripture about that very idea. Acts 17:21

Kat

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 01:28:14 PM »

Hi Loretta,

The question I have is, does the truth abt  Mt 6:24 become a reality only in hindsight?  Is it only after much striving against this mammon that we have real victory.  Does it continue to be a real enemy all our lives?

It is the way of the world, it is the carnal desires/lusts of the flesh to gain material possessions... what else does the world have to strive for? Christians think it shows how spiritual they are by how much they are 'blessed' with material wealth. Solomon maybe one of the wealthiest to ever lived came to understand.

Ecc 1:14  I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and indeed, all is vanity and grasping for the wind.

The world is trapped in an endless quest to find happiness through material things. We have to move beyond the physical which the world cannot do, it only comes through the Holy Spirit.

Rom 11:33  Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!

The more you seek after the truth, the more you are moved away from the cares of the world and desires for physical wealth. I think we can come to a point where the world and all it's attractions do not appeal to us anymore when we become more mature in Spirit.

Rev 3:18  I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

loretta

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 03:03:15 PM »

Tks, Kat.  A comforting thought indeed.

I know what you mean Indianabob.  I wonder if I would have been content had I not had what I already have! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.