bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Putting on the full armour of God to engage in Spiritual warfare  (Read 5916 times)

loretta

Putting on the full armour of God to engage in Spiritual warfare
« on: September 06, 2013, 01:05:43 PM »

Recently a missionary friend wrote in to say that she is under tremendous spiritual attack.  While the symptoms mirrored those of a severe anxiety attack, the spiritual element was evidenced by the fact that she was deeply involved in counseling a fellow believer.  How do we tell the difference?  Much is said and done in the name of spiritual warfare in Christendom.  How much of it is really biblical, how much of it can be attributed to wrong theology?

Early this year when I was quite new to BT, the same Christian friend had a vivid dream that I was in imminent physical danger.  Ofcourse she prayed for me, but I became increasingly fearful and very watchful of my every move.  While this potential danger did portend a spiritual attack, it was possibly also retribution for my husband’s ongoing crusade against corruption as a social activist.  He himself was nearly done to death a few years ago and escaped with his life through the sheer grace and mercy of God.

With the new understanding of God’s truth, how do I rise up to challenges that come my way in my daily walk.  What does it really mean to put on the armor of God and how does it affect the way we engage in spiritual warfare?

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Putting on the full armour of God to engage in Spiritual warfare
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 02:14:46 PM »

my husband’s ongoing crusade against corruption as a social activist

I think one thing most of us on this forum have in common is a hatred for injustice. But isn't injustice part of God's plan?

indianabob

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 02:45:51 PM »

Hi Loretta,
Great question.
I think we can find biblical guidance to inform us about this.
I am hoping for some of that from other members.

For myself I would suggest that since you noted that you are new to this way of thinking.
Perhaps you should stand as an observer and not as a participant in correcting others. e.g be a good listener/observer.
God is very patient and understanding, so your option may be to view your personal place in the battle as that of one in basic training rather than as as soldier on the front lines, before your training is complete.

As Paul illustrated our task is to finish the race rather than to compete to win by running faster than others.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27
King James Version (KJV)
24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:

27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

= = =

Hebrews 12
King James Version (KJV)
12 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 02:50:28 PM by indianabob »

onelovedread

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 04:07:29 PM »

As for me, I want to "hide behind God" because I know that there isn't anything in me that's good except what He deposited. My flesh and my nature are useless. But reckoning myself dead so that Christ can operate through me, and being a temple of His Holy Spirit, that's where it's at.

Nathan

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 05:27:27 PM »

Recently a missionary friend wrote in to say that she is under tremendous spiritual attack.  While the symptoms mirrored those of a severe anxiety attack, the spiritual element was evidenced by the fact that she was deeply involved in counseling a fellow believer.  How do we tell the difference?  Much is said and done in the name of spiritual warfare in Christendom.  How much of it is really biblical, how much of it can be attributed to wrong theology?

Early this year when I was quite new to BT, the same Christian friend had a vivid dream that I was in imminent physical danger.  Of course she prayed for me, but I became increasingly fearful and very watchful of my every move.  While this potential danger did portend a spiritual attack, it was possibly also retribution for my husband’s ongoing crusade against corruption as a social activist.  He himself was nearly done to death a few years ago and escaped with his life through the sheer grace and mercy of God.

Does your missionary friend proclaim the "good news" of the salvation of few and the eternal torture of many? If so, how does the blind counsel the blind? She had a dream about your imminent physical danger and you became increasingly fearful because of a dream that she had. ???  Sounds like you both may have been suffering from an acute case of the spirit of fear and an unsound mind.

With the new understanding of God’s truth, how do I rise up to challenges that come my way in my daily walk.  What does it really mean to put on the armor of God and how does it affect the way we engage in spiritual warfare?

Here is an excellent response from Kat from a previous thread about putting on the full armour of God.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,11556.msg100015.html#msg100015

Eph 6:10  Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.
v. 11  Put on the whole armor of God ("But put on the Lord JESUS CHRIST" (Rom 13:14)), that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
v. 12  For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
v. 13  Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
v. 14  Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth ("JESUS SAID to him, "I AM the way, THE TRUTH, and the life" (John 14:6)) having put on the breastplate of righteousness ("Jesus Christ THE RIGHTEOUS" (1John 2:1));
v. 15  and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace(The beginning of the GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST, the Son of God" (Mark 1:1));
v. 16  above all, taking the shield of faith (the FAITH OF JESUS CHRIST" (Rom 3:22)) with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one.
v. 17  And take the helmet of salvation ("but to obtain SALVATION THROUGH OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST (1Th 5:9)) and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Kat

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 06:00:52 PM »

Hi Loretts,

Here is an email that might help with this.

http://bible-truths.com/email9.htm ---------

[Ray Replies]

Dear Jim:

Well, just like almost everything else Christians adopt as truth, their knowledge of demons and spirits is equally eschew.  First, Jim, always remember the basics:

"...for it is not ours to wrestle with blood and flesh, but with the sovereignties, with the authorities, with the world-mights of this darkness, with the spiritual forces of wickedness among the celestials" (Eph. 6:12).

So it is NOT the physical that is our biggest problem (flesh and blood), being overweight, etc.

Next we must understand that demons are FALSE DOCTRINES -- "doctrines of demons" Paul calls them. So anything that would influence us to believe in, follow, or be persuaded by any such things are demons influences.

So when we speak of "anger" we are in the realm of the spirit. James says, "Whosoever is ANGRY with his brother is a MURDERER"! WOW! "Be angry and SIN NOT--do not let the sun go down upon your ANGER" is another.

So being overweight and having uncontrolled anger are two totally different things.  Being overweight is no more a sin than having flat feet. There are thousands of things in the biological makeup of our bodies over which we have and nor can we have control. If one is a total glutton, that is a lust of the flesh, but MANY overweight people eat very little for their size. But anger, that's different. Anger comes from within the man and it can cause one to SIN.

Now then, what do we do with the demons of anger, lust, and other aberrant behavior, cast them out?  Well, if all we had to do was "cast them out," we wouldn't have to "wrestle" with them, would we?

Satan and his demons have their role in God's creation. God Himself has even commissioned LYING spirits to go out and do their dirty work (I Kings 22:22). So demons and real, they are here, and they will be around for a long time.

How should we handle them -- ask the preacher to cast them all out so that we are clean and will never be bothered in any spiritual way again, not to mention having a perfect size body? No, here's what God tells us we should do after telling us that we DO WRESTLE against these forces:

"Therefore take up the panoply [armor] of God that you may be enabled to WITHSTAND in the wicked day, and having effected all, to STAND.  STAND, then, girded about your loins with TRUTH [remember I said demons are FALSE doctrines], with the cuirass of righteousness put on, and your feet sandaled with the readiness of the evangel [gospel] of peace; with all taking up the large shield of FAITH, by which you WILL BE ABLE TO EXTINGUISH ALL THE FIERY ARROWS OF THE WICKED ONE."

So the truth is that we continue to wrestle and do battle with them -- it is good for us to do so, it MAKES US STRONG in the TRUTH and in our reliance of God's spiritual armor to protect us.

Hope that helps your understanding a little better.

Sincerely,

Ray

thewatchman

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 10:58:34 PM »

If I could use some of my personal experience Loretta. The standard idea of christians fighting against the powers of darkness as talked about in church under the guise of spiritual warfare and intercession is misguided and not really supported in scripture. Putting on the armor of God is not a physical act, yet you can see people swinging metaphorical swords in prayer meetings. It is a delusion on their point. The armor is about protecting ourselves, not undertaking an intercessory crusade...going demon hunting. Sufficient is the evil of the day without looking for more trouble. Sometimes these people over reach and get themselves into trouble.  Think about the armor....girding your loins with truth...what does that mean? If you believe a lie, are you girded with truth? Even if you are acting with good intentions? No. Then think about the wonderful truth of salvation for all. The fact that we go through trials and testings does no longer mean to us that we are being punished by our Almighty God for unfaithfulness, but it is the loving chastisement of a Father who wants to correct us and teach us the right way. I have no fear of darkness now. None. How about you? Can you share that with your friend?
The biggest motivator in the modern church is fear. Fear of the Devil, hell, missing out on the glory, of being rejected. But perfect love (or truth) casts out all fear. I have personally dealt with the demonic. The important thing to remember is that Christ lives within us and he has given us authority. Not to be in fear, but to be in truth. I hope that will help inspire you to bless your friend.
As to your friend, there will be an event in her kife that come to mind immediately that she feels threatened. That is what God is exposing to deal with. That will be the matter that you will need to pray withe her, bringing repentance and forgiveness, the release of judgments, because it has become a 'high place' in her life. Once God begins to bring healing there, it will lose its power over her.

God Bless

Greg  8)

cjwood

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 11:55:39 PM »

The important thing to remember is that Christ lives within us and he has given us authority. Not to be in fear, but to be in truth. I hope that will help inspire you to bless your friend.

greg, i wanted to jump in here to let you know that your above statement blessed my heart tremendously.  from your heart to your fingers, inspired by the Father's Spirit, to my field of vision at just the right moment in time.

thanks for posting.
claudia

deblynn

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 02:43:18 PM »

Just posting my agreement with Kat's commentary.  I'd read the same thing on my FB page, and was about to copy it here, when I saw that it was already done.  Ray explains it so well.  It really makes sense.  Possibly everyone of us has had to "unlearn" untruths that we believed were the gospel, and then re-learn, or re-program our minds.  I have had such an inner peace since I first began to uncover the truths of God's word through Ray, and others, here.
I pray for more of "Christendom" to come to acknowledge these same, self-evident truths.
I don't say much, myself, because even though I have been with the Lord for many years, I feel as if I'm almost starting over again.

thewatchman

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 09:42:10 PM »

The important thing to remember is that Christ lives within us and he has given us authority. Not to be in fear, but to be in truth. I hope that will help inspire you to bless your friend.

greg, i wanted to jump in here to let you know that your above statement blessed my heart tremendously.  from your heart to your fingers, inspired by the Father's Spirit, to my field of vision at just the right moment in time.

thanks for posting.
claudia

My pleasure Claudia.  8)

loretta

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 09:36:48 AM »

For myself I would suggest that since you noted that you are new to this way of thinking.
Perhaps you should stand as an observer and not as a participant in correcting others. e.g be a good listener/observer.
God is very patient and understanding, so your option may be to view your personal place in the battle as that of one in basic training rather than as as soldier on the front lines, before your training is complete.

Indianabob, I hope that I have not given the impression that I know it all. I don't recall correcting anyone in that spirit and would loathe to have to re-read all the past threads to find out. :)  Ofcourse I'm relatively new to this way of thinking but some of the truths were revealed to me before coming to BT and I do feel strongly about them :(  I must confess though that I have not yet studied all of Ray's teachings and I actively engage in this online fellowship, desirous to learn, debating and discussing biblical truths but open to correction myself.  I do appreciate the patience and kindness shown by the elders in this church, in teaching me and leading me in the truth.  In the absence of real fellowship, this is also the only place where I can express myself and be understood. 

So help me God if I have to shut up and learn! :)

cjwood

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 02:08:48 PM »

loretta, you are an awesome sister in Christ, and i am thankful God has caused you to become part of this forum.  your questions are very thought provoking causing me to read and study more of His Word.  you are a welcome voice in this choir of believers. 

no need to shut your mouth.  just let it all out.  yes, many times we have to be vulnerable by showing up and letting ourselves be heard in this life.  that alone takes courage.  we are here to help each other get through this world of trouble and confusion.  God's Spirit is our Helper.  how wonderful is that knowledge?!!

claudia

loretta

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 04:07:30 PM »

we are here to help each other get through this world of trouble and confusion.
Tks for the vote of confidence, Claudia.  Much appreciated!

I think one thing most of us on this forum have in common is a hatred for injustice. But isn't injustice part of God's plan?

You’re right, Dennis, its all part of God’s plan, for us to come to hate injustice not as the world does, but according to God’s standard of righteousness.

Matthew 7:3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Sounds like you both may have been suffering from an acute case of the spirit of fear and an unsound mind.

Exactly Nathan, that’s why I typed missionary in italics.:)  Now I’m wondering what that dream was all about.  If God had intended for me to be physically hurt, then why would he warn me through dreams.  Even though nothing has come to pass, so far, it is obvious that their prayers did not change the will of God.   Tks also for Kat’s post. It’s all about Christ.  I need to ruminate on this some more.

So the truth is that we continue to wrestle and do battle with them -- it is good for us to do so, it MAKES US STRONG in the TRUTH and in our reliance of God's spiritual armor to protect us.

Tks for this link Kat, so simple, yet so profound.  An AHA moment. I believe I know this truth experientially.

The biggest motivator in the modern church is fear. Fear of the Devil, hell, missing out on the glory, of being rejected. But perfect love (or truth) casts out all fear.

For the first time since coming to BT, I am beginning to understand that perfect love (or truth) does cast out all fear. And it is sweet freedom indeed. Yes, I can share this with my friend, and I can even see a glimmer of hope for her in the casting down of the high place in her life. Tks Greg.

Thank you ALL

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.