bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Number of times "Hell" appears in the text in English Bible Translations  (Read 4930 times)

loretta

I came across a tabular chart that shows the number of times "Hell" appears in the text in English Bible Translations.  I can't share the link as there are erroneous teachings elsewhere at this site.  However the chart itself is an eyeopener (havn't seen anything like it at BT)  The KJV and the NKJV are the only two translations in the list to use "hell" in the Old Testament. Even the NKJV, which was only supposed to modernize the English words of the traditional "Authorized Version," took many "hell" references out. The chart shows that the use of the word "hell" is decreasing. The NKJV, RSV, ASV, NRSV, and NASB are all technically revisions of the original KJV. From 54 times ( in the authorized version) to 32 times ( in the new version) and then to 12 or 13 times in other versions, the chart shows how the word hell has been eliminated altogether in recent translations.

I am trying to share the chart on the forum, but am unable to because of its size and the tabulations also disappear.  The mods suggested an alternative way, but I'm not too computer savvy to carry out the instructions.

Anyway, is there anybody out there who could give it a try. PM me and I'll send you the link to the site. tks.

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Number of times "Hell" appears in the text in English Bible Translations
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 09:25:40 AM »

Loretta,
check your PM when convenient.
Indiana Bob

loretta

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 06:34:51 AM »

Loretta,
check your PM when convenient.
Indiana Bob

Tks Indiana Bob, I have.

Dave has offered to try and post the chart on the forum.  Let's hope he is successful. :)

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »

I don't think I'm going to be able to do it.  I was hoping it would be a graphics file, but it's a table in HTML and it won't "paste" into the message with any clarity.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Abednego

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »

You can see a screenshot of it  here.

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 01:09:47 PM »

You can see a screenshot of it  here.

This works okay and is acceptable.

loretta

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 05:46:56 AM »

8)

You're voted computer guru of BT!  :)

tks Abednego

believerchrist100

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 01:36:21 PM »

Very interesting see that chart. Out of all those translations listed, only 12 of them contained the word hell in them and only 2 of them have the world hell in the Old Testament. That's not very many translations when you consider that most of the translations that have "hell" in them are revisions of the King James Bible (which itself is a revision of the Bishops Bible and you can trace it back all the way to Tyndale). So yeah, it's pretty interesting also how many times the common translations have the word hell in them. So much for "Jesus spoke twice as much about hell as he did heaven."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.