bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transhumanism  (Read 10014 times)

lareli

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Transhumanism
« on: December 06, 2013, 06:00:41 PM »

Joe Rogan Questions Everything episode on "robosapien"... Id start watching around minute 22 when he interviews Ray Kurzweil from google...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZNI8SH8mao

Interesting and fun stuff.. Anyone seen this? Any thoughts? Imortality through merging biological bodies with technology... Simulation theory? If we were in the matrix now would we know it?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:03:04 PM by largeli »
I知 just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

lareli

Re: Transhumanism
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 06:10:14 PM »

Ive read that with our smart phones we posses more computing power in the palm of our hand than NASA had during the time thet put a man on the moon.... Ray Kurzweil is claiming that within 20 years, All that computing power will be in a devices the size of a blood cell and we could have them (millions of them) implanted in our brains, bodies, etc... All the information you could gather from google would be instantly available and part of your brain for example... We would be able to hold our breath for hours through the manipulation of red blood cells etc. We could be super heroes.

Of course by "we" that means the super rich ruling class... the rest of us peasants would probably be eliminated.  ;)

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 07:46:11 PM »

We remain the same as long as our hearts remain the same.  No technology exists or ever will that will change it...only amplify it.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

indianabob

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 07:09:31 PM »

Just my opinion, but it may be fair to say that there is no manipulation of the human system without cost.
If we manipulate the red blood cells there will be a price to pay UNLESS there is some outside of ourselves addition of matter or energy. An example of real manipulation: In "theory" when God changed the life span of mankind from 1000 years to 180 years (for Abram) to 70 plus years it was for a purpose and for the best result overall according to HIS plan for mankind. (e.g. to leave room for growth in numbers??)

Plus having a knowledge base available does not mean the average person could use it effectively. Put me at the controls of a space vessel and watch the fireworks. There are just too many variables. Smile  ;D

Ive read that with our smart phones we posses more computing power in the palm of our hand than NASA had during the time thet put a man on the moon.... Ray Kurzweil is claiming that within 20 years, All that computing power will be in a devices the size of a blood cell and we could have them (millions of them) implanted in our brains, bodies, etc... All the information you could gather from google would be instantly available and part of your brain for example... We would be able to hold our breath for hours through the manipulation of red blood cells etc. We could be super heroes.

Of course by "we" that means the super rich ruling class... the rest of us peasants would probably be eliminated.  ;)

lareli

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 05:49:56 PM »

Just my opinion, but it may be fair to say that there is no manipulation of the human system without cost.
If we manipulate the red blood cells there will be a price to pay UNLESS there is some outside of ourselves addition of matter or energy. An example of real manipulation: In "theory" when God changed the life span of mankind from 1000 years to 180 years (for Abram) to 70 plus years it was for a purpose and for the best result overall according to HIS plan for mankind. (e.g. to leave room for growth in numbers??)

Plus having a knowledge base available does not mean the average person could use it effectively. Put me at the controls of a space vessel and watch the fireworks. There are just too many variables. Smile  ;D

I agree.. no such thing as a 'free' lunch.

Consider antibiotics... my kid came home from school the other day and said his teacher told them that antibiotics were responsible for extending the normal life span by about 30 years almost over night. Whether that is a factual statement or embelished a bit I dont know. But look what we have now.. as a result of wide spread antibiotic use and over-use, there are now these antibiotic resistant 'super bugs' that the medical industry has no answer for. Who knows, perhaps antibiotics in the long run will be responsible for the rise in some gnarly super bug that wipes out huge numbers of people..

I can only imagine what the down fall will be of a generation of people taking hold of technology that promises immortality through transhumanism..

lareli

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 06:11:22 PM »

Heres a link to an article I just saw right after my last post... Theyre now saying that by the early 2020's we will have the technology to program our bodies away from disease and ageing...

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/10/business/ray-kurzweil-future-of-human-life/index.html

2020 is like 6 years away! Thats crazy if you ask me.... Definitely interesting times we're in.

Lol, I can see it now like the beggining of a bad sci-fi movie... The elite monopolize this technology to make themselves immortal and then kill off the bottom 90% of humanity!

No flesh would be left had God not intervened!

Craig

• There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 06:29:27 PM »

Scientist have just released studies that show the number one cause of death in humans is old age.

indianabob

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 10:50:34 PM »

Depend upon Craig to get right down to the basics.
And let me tell you it becomes quite evident when you get to be my age.
I had surgery for a hip replacement on Oct 8 and they told me that I would feel better right after I got home. Really? It's been about two months and I'm still waiting for the energy burst, the feel good that I'm better sensation. Then I stop and consider....YOU are an OLD Geezer Bob and many of your other parts have reached their useful life span. Face it!

Also, another old gent at my Gym told me that the surgery anesthetic can affect your body's systems for several months after the procedure. Have to check on that, but I sure feel a lot less energetic than I did when I was hobbling around on my natural, damaged hip.

Ole Indiana Bob

microlink

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 12:48:16 AM »

Scientist have just released studies that show the number one cause of death in humans is old age.

I'm told to prove all things.

So where is the study?  :)   ;D

p.s. ibob, some of my parts are getting rusty too. Time is coming for a new model, complete overhaul.  8)

lareli

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 02:35:44 AM »

What do you guys suppose would happen to a society when it's given the choice as to whether or not it wants to biologically progress past the youth and vigor of a 25 year old?

indianabob

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 07:22:36 PM »

What would we expect to happen? We are fallible humans. We would rush to screw it up!
Guaranteed....it would implode in most cases. Most people would intentionally push the system beyond its operational limits just to see what would happen. WE live for thrills.

Why do we think God didn't make us immortal or instant healers as soon as we were injured? Because we would keep jumping out of trees and breaking stuff just like kids on skate boards or dirt bikes. All for dumb thrills...

Abednego

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 10:19:51 PM »

All for dumb thrills...

Famous last words.......hold my beer.....

lareli

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 02:17:03 PM »

Yep. I agree IndianaBob. 1903 was the invention of the airplane... The physical implications air travel had on world relations was huge... But it didn't take long for us to strap an atomic bomb to one of them things and destroy life. The internet brought people's minds together... But within a few years we realized the potential for spying on every mode of communication of everyone. Who knows what the spiritual implications will be when people are tempted to cheat death. Death is our portion and consequence of our sin. How will man use this technology to further corrupt men's souls?

People will always take the next available breakthrough in technology and use it to control people and seize power. Hypothetical or inevitable we'll soon find out.

indianabob

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 04:23:06 PM »

Well said my friend and wise.
I-Bob

Yep. I agree IndianaBob. 1903 was the invention of the airplane... The physical implications air travel had on world relations was huge... But it didn't take long for us to strap an atomic bomb to one of them things and destroy life. The internet brought people's minds together... But within a few years we realized the potential for spying on every mode of communication of everyone. Who knows what the spiritual implications will be when people are tempted to cheat death. Death is our portion and consequence of our sin. How will man use this technology to further corrupt men's souls?

People will always take the next available breakthrough in technology and use it to control people and seize power. Hypothetical or inevitable we'll soon find out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.