bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dreams and visions, how to understand this  (Read 5162 times)

Shawn Fainn

Dreams and visions, how to understand this
« on: August 25, 2010, 09:25:19 AM »

Well, for me, I had a personal experience with a very lucid dream that got me back in to church. Really, it scared me like no horror movie ever has.

Looking back on it, I feel like that was God's way of saying "It's time".

From that point on, I had many changes in my life. I noticed that there was a process of sanctifying going on; that God was cleaning out a lot of the bad influences in my life to prepare me. Eventually, I got out of the church and ended up here.

So, I don't really think that it 'adds to' scriptures. It was mostly just a personal influence on my life. At least that's what I perceive.

arion

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
Re: Dreams and visions, how to understand this
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 10:05:31 AM »

I get very uneasy with the plethra of those running around with their dreams and feel that God is speaking to them through it.    And a lot of people get very hung up on their dreams and almost obsessed with it.  Most of these people don't hear from God in the natural and they think that their dreams must mean something profound.  The dreams come from our unconscious mind and our unconscious mind is the 'old man' that is supposed to be slain.  Jeremiah had something interesting to say about dreams.....

Jer 23:28  The prophet that hath a dream, let him tell a dream; and he that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully. What is the chaff to the wheat? saith the LORD.

Ouch, so much for the importance of my dreams.  I don't think it's wise to be preoccupied about such things.  Since we know that God's elect are few in number during this age then wouldn't it also be that there would be few that are hearing from God through dreams/visions today?   If God truly does choose to speak to any of us through a dream or a vision then He is also able to impact us so greatly that we know we have been spoken to and won't need to seek counsel from others as to what our dream or vision might mean.  When Daniel had his dreams he knew that only God could give the interpretation of them and he fasted, prayed and sought God and not the counsel of others.  Many are so desperate to hear from God that they think that anything that pops into their heads must be from him and I think that is fertile ground for the enemy to do his work.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 10:07:51 AM by Arion »

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 10:10:35 AM »

God is the vital, ultimate "cause" of all things, good and evil.

God does say we are not to trust in man ~ but when did that stop anyone?

Who among us has heard, obeyed and fulfilled The Word of God? We are all a work, God's Work, in progress. :)

Arc
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 10:12:37 AM by Arcturus »

Samson

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 11:24:47 AM »

I get very uneasy with the plethra of those running around with their dreams and feel that God is speaking to them through it.    And a lot of people get very hung up on their dreams and almost obsessed with it.  Most of these people don't hear from God in the natural and they think that their dreams must mean something profound.  The dreams come from our unconscious mind and our unconscious mind is the 'old man' that is supposed to be slain.  Jeremiah had something interesting to say about dreams.....

Jer 23:28  The prophet that hath a dream, let him tell a dream; and he that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully. What is the chaff to the wheat? saith the LORD.

Ouch, so much for the importance of my dreams.  I don't think it's wise to be preoccupied about such things.  Since we know that God's elect are few in number during this age then wouldn't it also be that there would be few that are hearing from God through dreams/visions today?   If God truly does choose to speak to any of us through a dream or a vision then He is also able to impact us so greatly that we know we have been spoken to and won't need to seek counsel from others as to what our dream or vision might mean.  When Daniel had his dreams he knew that only God could give the interpretation of them and he fasted, prayed and sought God and not the counsel of others.  Many are so desperate to hear from God that they think that anything that pops into their heads must be from him and I think that is fertile ground for the enemy to do his work.

Thankyou Arion,

Great Post Arion ! I was searching around while you were Posting the above. As the Physical Gifts or Manifestations of the Spirit were done away with. (See: 1Cor. 13:1-13), We have to be careful not to take stock in those that claim some Dream or Vision that they had came from God. How often have We heard someone tell us " God told them to do something or believe something from a Dream or Vision they had and after they describe what they were told, it contradicts the Scriptures." Remember: Visions and Dreams are not Physically literal realities. Optomai(Optical-Eng) & Optasia(Vision-Eng), an apparition, denotes a vision, an inward impression or spiritual experience, a mental occupation.

Examples: I had someone tell me that God told them not to work, this person wasn't disabled(Physically or Mentally). The only income they had was Child Support and some Welfare Benefits. Also, there Child was over 14 years old. Why would God tell someone not to work, that contradicts the Scriptures about providing for ones family(1Tim.5:8) God is not going to tell someone something in a Dream or Vision that breaks the Scriptures or contradicts them. That's ridiculous, at least to me. I Had someone tell me His television(it was unplugged at the time) told Him to quit smoking, He attributed this to Angelic direction. Why would one of God's Spiritual Messengers tell an Orthodox Christian something through a television, but not tell Him to quit committing Adultery, lusting after Woman, believing in Hell Fire and that the King James Bible of 1611 is the only true bible. Those are two examples from my experience, there are more and it's always Orthodox Christians that relate to me What God told them and in every case, it contradicted the Scriptures. Naturally, through Age and Experience, I don't bother to correct them, some of them being related and totally convinced God told them such and such. I had a relative who told me that God told them they were "Saved" in the present tense, no mention of repentance or cleansing of the Carnal Nature.

That's All, no offense intended, but unless it's Ray saying God taught Him something, I'm unlikely to buy it. Samson.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 11:33:23 AM by Samson »

Shawn Fainn

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 11:34:30 AM »

Like anything, you have to judge it from the fruit it bears. For myself, I don't get too wrapped up in dreams/visions etc, but at the time, I feel it had it's purpose.

Samson

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 11:50:58 AM »

Scriptures to Consider:

Amos. 3:7 " For the Sovereign Lord Jehovah will not do a thing unless He has revealed His confidential matter to His servants the prophets."

1Peter. 1:20,21 "For you know this first, that no prophecy of scripture springs from any private interpretation(or private disclosure). For prophecy was at no time brought by Man's Will, but men spoke from God as they were bourne along by holy spirit." Read: 1Peter. 2:1-3, too.

Kind Regards, Samson.

Marky Mark

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 11:57:46 AM »

I feel that if one was to have divine intervention in the form of a dream, or a vision, that dream or vision would have to line up with Scripture, so that the person involved would know for sure that what happened is in line with what the Word is...The Truth.

Email response from Ray.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,5597.0.html

3. People talk about... God spoke to me, or i have a word from god for you, or... a small still voice... or dreams and visions...non of this is a reality to me... how do I experience my God talking and leading me?

COMMENT:  Much of Christendom is based on emotionalism, paganism, and superstition.  I believe that God inspires my mind to understand many things that I continually pray about. I hear no voice, I receive no visions, or dreams (not that visions or dreams are bad or that God does not use them. I am merely speaking for myself).  God is speaking to your through His word, if and when you BEGIN TO UNDERSTAND IT AND HAVE A DEEP DESIRE TO OBEY IT.
        God be with you,
        Ray

Peace...Mark

judith collier

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 03:27:20 PM »

God has never told me what to do. I have been inspired but not told what to say. That being said I have had extremely strong visual impressions inwardly. The only thing I didn't understand is why me!
There are visual impressions and then there is God's presence which He can manifest in varying degrees. But not at any time have I ever been told what to do or what to think nor did I get a message for anybody.
Because someone hasn't experienced this I can see where they might be skeptical but it does happen. But if people say they have a message for you, I would run!

margo

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 05:46:38 PM »

Matthew 28:18, And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, "All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth."
Matthew 11:27, "All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him." 
We are taught by the Spirit of God, it is invisible, 1 Cor. 2:14, "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."
We walk in the Spirit, we pray in the Spirit, we worship in the Spirit, the Spirit of God dwells in us, all invisible.  I think we need to be very in-tuned to His Spirit, if he calls your name, comes in a vision, or speaks in dreams, He has all the power to do so, He said so.  He will not lead His sheep astray.  He is the Good Shepard, and His sheep hear His voice.
Blessings,
Margo

Joel

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 11:16:06 PM »

I agree Margo.

Joel

soberxp

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 11:30:24 PM »

YOU NEVER UNDERSTAND,WHY?CUZ LACK WISDOM! Sounding harsh to the ear,but true!

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 01:17:49 AM »

Thanks for your graciousness, Janine.   :)
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 23 queries.