bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumb word substitutions--  (Read 4897 times)

Duane

Dumb word substitutions--
« on: December 30, 2013, 10:00:11 PM »

D'jever notice that: NO ONE has had a PROBLEM in 10 years--?
OVERNIGHT they all became: "CHALLENGES"!
NOW--no one has "challenges" --they have "ISSUES WITH--"!
When is the last time you heard a person say that they had a
good old fashioned PROBLEM?? (did it make them easier?)
"At the BEGINNING of the day---", I suppose, will be heard next?
did anyone ever say: "The TOP LINE is...!!
Remember in the 70's when every suggestion had to "feel comfortable? cumfterble? comfoooortable?
Before that--For everyone who "digs it"--did it ever get DUG?

Does anyone ever use the word ME?
Quote in newspaper: "Myself and the crew were there to help."
"Myself and my family attended the weddiing.

Also:
"How are you, today?"
GOOD! YOURSELF? (what happened to: "and.., Y-O-U?!")

"Your welcome!" is now: "NO PROBLEM!"
"What are you doing?" is now "S'up?"

Our English, patriotism, Godliness, values, and MORALS are
going EX-STINKED"!

Rhys 🕊

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • 🕊
    • Facebook
Re: Dumb word substitutions--
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 02:52:48 AM »

I feel sorry for anyone learning English.....it keeps changing

I'm sure most would struggle to understand me  ;D

It's good that it moved or we all might still be talking like Shakespear

HAMLET: To be, or not to be--that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune Or to take arms against a sea of troubles And by opposing end them. To die, to sleep-- No more--and by a sleep to say we end The heartache, and the thousand natural shocks That flesh is heir to. 'Tis a consummation Devoutly to be wished. To die, to sleep-- To sleep--perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub, For in that sleep of death what dreams may come When we have shuffled off this mortal coil, Must give us pause. There's the respect That makes calamity of so long life. For who would bear the whips and scorns of time, Th' oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely The pangs of despised love, the law's delay, The insolence of office, and the spurns That patient merit of th' unworthy takes, When he himself might his quietus make With a bare bodkin? Who would fardels bear, To grunt and sweat under a weary life, But that the dread of something after death, The undiscovered country, from whose bourn No traveller returns, puzzles the will, And makes us rather bear those ills we have Than fly to others that we know not of? Thus conscience does make cowards of us all, And thus the native hue of resolution Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought, And enterprise of great pitch and moment With this regard their currents turn awry And lose the name of action. -- Soft you now, The fair Ophelia! -- Nymph, in thy orisons Be all my sins remembered.
🤫

Extol

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 12:42:26 PM »

Does anyone ever use the word ME?
Quote in newspaper: "Myself and the crew were there to help."
"Myself and my family attended the weddiing.

I was listening to a course on the history of the English language, and the professor mentioned this. He said "Listen to an athlete in a post-game interview. They always use the word 'myself.' They do this because the public relations people train them to always say 'myself' instead of 'I' or 'me'."

Apparently this is because so many people do not know the proper usage of "I" and "me," so rather than require an athlete to think whether it is proper to say "My teammates and I" or "My teammates and me," they tell them to always say the neutral "myself" so they won't look stupid. However, always saying "myself" sort of defeats the purpose of not sounding stupid, in my opinion.

Besides challenges, problems are also called OPPORTUNITIES. That's even trendier I think!  8)

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 12:55:16 AM »

Alas & alack!
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

acomplishedartis

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 06:45:40 AM »

Hi Duane

I used to think I was better with the language but I am not. So much more to learn... I am trying.

Hope all is great

Moises

ps. I am back posting, I took a brake because I was focused in other stuff and had no internet for a while, but now I am back... :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 01:58:26 AM by Moises G. »

Duane

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 02:45:17 AM »

Moises--Glad to have you back.  I am returning more and more as I really like Ray's work and the resulting sites. 
I have been missing Andrew in my phone calls and vice versa.  We call it "phone tag"--when people keep missing each others phone attempts.
Andrew and MYSELF (haha) will get together soon!

AwesomeSavior

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 09:25:36 PM »

One thing I have noticed on TV is when a reply is given to a question, many people begin their reply with the word "So". Totally bizarre to me.

rumpelstiltskin

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 10:48:26 PM »

In some districts police officers can't use the word 'accident' as in traffic accident, because technically 'accident' implies it was someone's fault. So they have to use the word 'collision'. :)
If you want to know what God thinks of money,just look at the people he gave it to
Dorothy Parker

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 12:53:41 PM »

Outside of legalese, nothing is more daunting than corporate-speak.  And I'm not even including all the buzz-words that crop up and then have to fade away.

I use a hand-held scanner in one of my jobs...made the mistake of calling it a 'gun', and was calmly but firmly reminded it is an "RMU".  Oops...got it.   :D
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Duane

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 03:04:15 AM »

Remember the daze when people took responsibility?

Newspaper then:  "John Doe was severely injured when he drove his car into a tree."

New Newspaper:  "John Doe was severely injured when the CAR he was driving in (thru NO FAULT of his) hit a tree."

Newspaper of tomorrow: "John Doe was severely injured when HIS CAR drove him into a tree."  :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.