bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Man's Honours  (Read 4122 times)

Rhys 🕊

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • 🕊
    • Facebook
Man's Honours
« on: December 31, 2013, 05:24:14 AM »

They have the Queens honours here which happens this time of year. Titles are given out for something they have done so people become a sir or dame and other ones.

Reading Ray's material for many years now I see more clearly it's about what God says about us that counts and coming to an understanding of His truth and the part He has for us. It's not what we do but what He does that counts.

None of us are worthy to receive honours because in ourselves we can do nothing

Rom 3:10  as it is written: "None is righteous, no, not one;
Rom 3:11  no one understands; no one seeks for God.
Rom 3:12  All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one."
Rom 3:13  "Their throat is an open grave; they use their tongues to deceive." "The venom of asps is under their lips."
Rom 3:14  "Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness."
Rom 3:15  "Their feet are swift to shed blood;
Rom 3:16  in their paths are ruin and misery,
Rom 3:17  and the way of peace they have not known."
Rom 3:18  "There is no fear of God before their eyes."

Isa 64:6  We have all become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment. We all fade like a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.

Plenty of people love this sort of praise from man and accept it like the Pharisees

John 12:42  Nevertheless, many even of the authorities believed in him, but for fear of the Pharisees they did not confess it, so that they would not be put out of the synagogue;
John 12:43  for they loved the glory that comes from man more than the glory that comes from God.

I was watching TV tonight and the ones receiving there rewards, they felt happy to receive them and proud.

Not thought about it before in terms or receiving these honours but for me I don't want a bit of it and would decline it, not that it's likely to happen.

Would others do the same here and what if it opened up a lot of new opportunities for you, do you still say No

A part us would say I like the recognition so would accept.

I find it hard to take any praise as I know it's all of Him so I can't take credit for it.

For me receiving a crown for my efforts by man seems pointless.

Accepting for me would be accepting man's praise over God's but them maybe that is just how I think but maybe others would accept it but not make a big deal about it or glory in it, thinking I'm just that bit better than everyone else.

Also why have it when God says:

1Pe 2:9  But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

Surely there titles are pointless compared to this.

And Jesus said

John 5:44  How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?

Are you not receiving glory for yourself when you accept these titles.

It got me thinking a bit, so I'm sure God has a reason for that. I don't think any of us on here are going to receive such titles but to me a see a bigger picture of being on you guard of the praise of men. It can sneak in and suddenly you feel good about yourself because of man's praise instead of feeling good because God has just shown you something so you rejoice in Him and not what man has told you.

There is always something greater in God and He speaks to me through Ray, why take even a little bit of this world when God has so much more. Now and then something gets at me and it seems a process to deal with that and writing here seems to help that and maybe helps others. It just seems the days get darker to me and any bit of truth is worth stretching out as far as you can to get it, that's why it sounds like I ramble a bit. It's like the bit of truth that I'm after is out there but just out of reach and when you get closer another obstacle gets in the way and you wonder if you will ever quite get it. That's what God does to me and it's for good reason that I seek after Him. He doesn't make it easy but it is for our benefit that He does it this way.

Interesting, writing this I think I'm getting somewhere only to get halfway wondering where I'm going, like how did the boat get out into the middle of the lake and where did that fog come from. Perhaps God takes us to a place where we think we can see but then realise we can't see and then He makes you see, then the fog clears.

Rhys
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 06:11:48 AM by Rhys »
🤫

Rene

• Administrator
Re: Man's Honours
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 11:47:50 AM »

Hi Rhys,

A couple of thoughts came to my mind when reading your comments.

I especially dislike the way we humans tend to idolize people due to a "gift" that they have, such a beautiful singing voice, an athletic ability, an extraordinary mind for academics or business.  As you mentioned, these "gifts" all come from our Creator and therefore, man has no right to boast.

However, I have no problem with someone receiving recognition for a job well done.  In this case, IMO, what matters is how the "receiver" receives the honor.  Are they feeling "puffed up" with pride, or are they humbled by the recognition.  It's all a matter of the condition of the heart. 

We have examples in OT scripture whereby God placed His servants in very high positions of title, such as Joseph and Esther, for the good of His people.  The bestowing of their titles probably came along with much fanfare.

God has already designated that His Elect will be Kings and Priests in the coming age.  Being one of God's Elect is the most amazing honor any human in this age can receive.  The bestowing of this title also comes with much fanfare, but it is "spiritual" and not physical and therefore, received in the humblest of ways. :)

René

Kat

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 12:53:29 PM »

Hi Rhys,

I think that mankind's concept of honoring one another is the basic idea of building up ones self-worth (the opposite of what God requires - "He must increase, but I must decrease" John 3:30), that is believed to be an absolute necessary for proper mental health. People want to be thought of as accomplished and successful by this world's standards. It's the nature of the beast/carnal mind to want to be looked up to by it's fellow beasts with worldly accomplishments.

John 15:19  If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.

If we truly separate ourselves from worldly activities, then people we know may look on that with disdain, as haughtiness. But it's not possible to straddle the fence and stay in a good relationship with worldly/carnal desires and think we can still obey God the way He requires.

Luke 16:13  "No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon."

Mat 16:24  Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.
v. 25  For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.
v. 26  For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?

What is it for us to "deny himself, and take up his cross"? Well we do not have a physical/literal cross (as Christ did), but doesn't that represent what we need to sacrifice to serve God - our carnal desires of "friendship with the world"?

James 4:4  Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

1John 2:15  Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Paul gives us a whole list of what worldly/carnal behaviors are that we should not participate in, I like how New Living Translation (NLT) uses easy to understand words to relate to what spoken in this passage.

Gal 5:19  When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, your lives will produce these evil results: sexual immorality, impure thoughts, eagerness for lustful pleasure,
v. 20  idolatry, participation in demonic activities, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, divisions, the feeling that everyone is wrong except those in your own little group,
v. 21  envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other kinds of sin. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

Okay I just wanted to add a few more Scriptures to what you were saying, hope this is what you were speaking about.

mercy, peace and love
Kat
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 01:00:29 PM by Kat »

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 02:26:21 AM »

Thanks Rene & Kat, the scriptures help much.

I was thinking if I was made a Sir by man I would find that difficult to live with. I know what I am in Christ and what I'm not. I don't see myself as worthy of such a title so wouldn't want it. If God says your this then wonderful because it's from Him.

As I see more of His truth I also see more of the way the world is and it's way, some things become more clear as you grow in His truth. Feeling more in awe of His truth and then more sick of what I see in this world.

All of Him so I rejoice in that

Rhys
🤫

cjwood

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 03:47:19 PM »

Getting off the heady highs and lows of human values, comes by maturity and the necessary time in the pig pen.

oink, oink, oink...

Certainly, ego resists decrease of any shape and form yet decrease it must

yes deb, that gnarling, carnal beast fights the Spirit all day, everyday!

amen to these words.

claudia

« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 05:27:22 PM by cjwood »

gregorydc

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 04:05:23 PM »

This is one of the most eye opening, heartfelt, swift kick in the pants, threads I have read in quite sometime. The road that is wide is so easy to follow, but the path least taken is difficult to stay upon. I ask God to bless you all for what you have written here. With His wisdom and insight you have pried my eyes open a bit more.
  I know that this was not written specifically for me but, it feels like it. Every scripture posted here in this thread feels like it was written for me, and to me, and about me. My life seems to be in shambles, but Christ is always with me. He continually shows me Himself whenever I think I have sank to the very bottom of the heap and cannot ever breathe again, he gives me another breath and drags me through the mess I have created to let me start another one. Lol
  I thank God for the inspiration that He has given all of those on the forum, and in Ray's writings ,for without them I would be quite lost in this world in which we live. I am not writing this for pity or anything else, but just to thank God, and those he inspires.
  Blessings
  Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.