bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sin.  (Read 9385 times)

rick

Sin.
« on: January 13, 2014, 12:39:13 AM »

Seems I’m always questioning any and all sin in my life. I’m convince I’m committing sins I’m not even aware of.

I understand Christ dealt with the sin issue once and for all ,that is not what I’m questioning.

My question concerns scriptures I read, such as ......

(ASV)  If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one also that doeth righteousness is begotten of him.

(ERV)  You know that Christ always did what was right. So you know that all those who do what is right are God's children.

(CEV)  You know that Christ always does right and that everyone who does right is a child of God.

(BBE)  If you have knowledge that he is upright, it is clear to you that everyone who does righteousness is his offspring.

(GNB)  You know that Christ is righteous; you should know, then, that everyone who does what is right is God's child.

(KJV)  If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.

(KJV)  Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;

(CEV)  Christ suffered here on earth. Now you must be ready to suffer as he did, because suffering shows that you have stopped sinning.

This scripture is self explanatory to me just as the sins I commit are self evident to me.
I’m baffled because I know God is only dealing with the elect now and all others later.

Because I do sin, I am of the later bunch no doubt, I don’t understand my interest in God or desire to learn if I am of the later bunch , this is what baffles me.

So I know I cannot free will myself to live a sinless life, I guess it always goes back to the potter who molds us all for His good pleasure and purpose.

Because of the things I have learned here at B.T. I accept Gods plan for me, a vessel of dishonor. My desire is to still study Ray’s papers and keep learning as much as I’m allowed to learn of God as He wills me to. Wisdom tells me to prepare for the white throne judgement here and now before there and then comes.

A long time ago I feared hell and wanted to know the truth about my destiny and had asked God, is hell real and God has shown me the truth about hell, what more could I ask for. God is awesome, God is great and I now know that for sure. I discovered the truth I was looking for.    :)

cheekie3

Re: Sin.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 06:32:05 AM »

Rick -

We all have a role to play once we are enlightened by our Heavenly Father through Jesus Christ. We no longer want to sin but it is a process.

I personally have never been hooked on drugs, cigarettes or alcahol by the grace of God.

I still on occasion shout at my wife which is wrong under any circumstances.

I apologise to my wife when I do unreservedly and repent of it to Almighty God.

I know from the scriptures you have quoted which Re real in my heart and mind that The Lord will get me to maturity whereby I will no longer shout at my wife.

George.

John from Kentucky

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 03:35:24 PM »

All of the Elect sin, and will do so until they are born again at the 1st Resurrection. 

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 1John 1:8

The only people I know who think they don't sin are the very religious people who always blather on about good works.  Just ask them and they will tell you all the good things they do.

The Elect were all selected before creation.  The Elect cannot choose themselves or unchoose themselves.  It is all by the grace of God.  So it is futile to think about being the Elect; we have no say.  Everybody will be saved; it is all a matter of when.

DougE6

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 07:06:24 PM »

The Elect were all selected before creation.  True

It is all by the grace of God. True

So it is futile to think about being the Elect; False

Just because we cannot know until it actually happens does not mean we are not to covet and seek for the first Resurrection. We are instructed to seek for the things of God and His righteousness;  not to sit back like a bump on a log and say "it is useless, it has already been chosen, why should I try"

Lord, I really don't want to judge myself and pray and earnestly seek for your greatest gift that you can bestow, the First Resurrection because you have already chosen.

I don't get why you would even want to have that attitude.

rick

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 09:36:39 PM »

There is much I need to learn / understand concerning my relationship as a believer in Christ and the affects of sin and how it effects my relationship with God.

Not sure where I received the understanding that God’s elect do not sin, perhaps someone been whispering in my ear.

I can understand this scripture below if applied after the resurrection rather than before the resurrection .

((ERV)  You know that Christ always did what was right. So you know that all those who do what is right are God's children. 

Thanks for your response.

Peace and love to all.   :)

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 08:33:28 PM »

I'm going to ask this question hoping NOT for a debate, but for a clear, unambiguous, and not-contradicted-by-scripture answer.  OK, here goes.

How does one try to be in the first Resurrection?

I'm 57.  Before BT, my life was pretty evenly split between "trying to be a good Christian" and "not trying to be a good Christian" (with a large dose of "Trying not to be a good Christian" thrown in as well).  Nobody in all that time was able to give me an answer about "how to be a good Christian" that was 1. Clear, 2. Unambiguous, and 3.  not contradicted by Scripture.  Now that I know about this "first resurrection" thing, maybe somebody can. 
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

rick

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 09:07:35 PM »

Hi Dave,

Its not in man to direct his own footsteps, we do not have free will, all is ordained of God, our lives are predestine.

There is nothing we can do to achieve the first resurrection, it is Gods choice who will be and who will not be.

Now having said that, my aim was to acknowledge my destiny by judging my own life, action and thoughts.

After reading your question Dave , I see how foolish my statement was. God is the potter and we the clay.

The question you asked Dave made the answer for me....... SO SIMPLE..... there is NOTHING WE can DO.

Thanks once again Dave.

Peace and love to all. 

cjwood

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 10:12:05 PM »

we are instructed to study the scriptures to show ourselves approved unto God.  the scriptures tell us that we are to be righteous and worship God.  we are to do, in our spiritual hearts what we know is the right thing to do.  we learn by going to the Word of God in study, the instructions on how we are to live rightly, and how to make our calling and election sure. 

the apostles and writers of the scriptures, through the Spirit of God, had no problem addressing themselves or the believing early church members as the elect.  it is a higher calling.  it is something we should try to attain.  yes, it's all of God, but He didn't leave us without instructions in righteousness and how to fight the good fight of faith to attain that higher calling.

claudia

Abednego

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 11:09:19 PM »

Philippians 4:8

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Bold mine. I think somewhere in that list you can shoehorn in being in the first resurrection.  Anything I can do to make it happen? NO! But I certainly desire it.

rick

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 12:31:45 AM »

the apostles and writers of the scriptures, through the Spirit of God,

That’s the answer Claudia, through God’s spirit, by the will of God only,can we be the elect.
No other way. There is nothing we can think, do, or say that would make us God's elect.

It's God's choice and His choice only.

peace and love to all.   :)

santgem

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 07:32:36 AM »

John the baptist will not be in the 1st resurrection. :)

Kat

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 12:09:54 PM »

John 7:16  Jesus answered them and said, "My doctrine is not Mine, but His who sent Me.
v. 17  If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know concerning the doctrine, whether it is from God or whether I speak on My own authority.
v. 18  He who speaks from himself seeks his own glory; but He who seeks the glory of the One who sent Him is true, and no unrighteousness (G93) is in Him. (NKJV)

John 7:16 Jesus, then, answered them and said, "My teaching is not Mine, but His Who sends Me."
v. 17 If anyone should be wanting to be doing His will, he will know concerning the teaching, whether it is of God or I am speaking from Myself."
v. 18 He who is speaking from himself is seeking his own glory, yet He Who is seeking the glory of Him Who sends Him, this One is true, and injustice (G93) is not in Him." (CLV)

G93 adikia - (legal) injustice (properly the quality, by implication the act); moral wrongfulness (of charater, life or act): - iniquity, unjust, unrighteousness, wrong.

It's the Holy Spirit indwelling that brings all this about...

1Cor 2:9  But as it is written:
       "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
       Nor have entered into the heart of man
       The things which God has prepared for those who love Him."   
v. 10  But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God.
v. 11  For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God.
v. 12  Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.
v. 13  These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

A key point to understand "if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law" (Gal 5:18).

Rom 3:19  Now we know that whatever the law says it speaks to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be stopped, and the whole world may be held accountable to God.
v. 20  For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.
v. 21  But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it--
v. 22  the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction:
v. 23  for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
v. 24  and are justified by His grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus

mercy, peace and love
Kat

AwesomeSavior

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 08:12:22 PM »

Dave:

I pray every day asking God to be in the 1st resurrection, for myself and others, and hopefully by enduring to the end, we will. Talk to God and ask Him  :) Matthew 10:22

lareli

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 11:40:29 PM »

What does 'endure to the end' mean?
I’m just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

rick

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 12:20:35 AM »

Good question Largeli

endure >verb 1 suffer (something painful and prolonged) patiently. 2 tolerate. 3 remain in existence.
-DERIVATIVES endurable >adjective.
-ORIGIN Latin indurare 'harden'.

How is one to endure without free will or free choice? In other words, who is doing the enduring in us? Is it Christ or us?

Ultimately all is of God , can I endure on my own outside of Christ ? What if I will to endure to the end ,  is not my will subjected to the will of God ? What happens if its God’s will that I do not endure to the end ?

Will I succeed irregardless of God’s will ?   ???

peace and love to all.  :)

Max

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 01:43:00 AM »

This is a great topic, and I definitely have the same kinds of doubts as Rick. I am not sure if I am destined to be in the First Resurrection or not. I want to be able to not sin at all, but there are some sins I just haven't been able to give up. Sometimes I drift back to carnality and think that I have clean up my act to earn a spot in the First Resurrection and I feel despair, but when I remember God made the decision before creation, I can relax a little. I guess the progress I have made though is that I feel terrible when I commit certain sins that I maybe wouldn't have felt guilty about in the past.

santgem

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 03:20:35 AM »

My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: 1 John 2:1

Kat

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 01:13:49 PM »

It is most certainly the Holy Spirit indwelling by which we can do anything that pleases God... we are not just having these things happen to us, but through us. What I mean is we are not passive in this, the Holy Spirit inspires our spirit and we do, say or think what we are inspired to, so it is us doing it.

Rom 8:14  For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
v. 15  For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, "Abba, Father."
v. 16  The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,
v. 17  and if children, then heirs--heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together. 

The Spirit works in us as a process of slowly removing the old man/self, so we become a new man/creature. Yes we go through all sorts of things in life, but as an elect it will ultimately lead to a person enduring to be prepared and ready to enter the kingdom at Christ's return.

Col 3:9  Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds,
v. 10  and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him,

If you are predetermined an elect this process is worked out throughout our whole life, but we are just not aware of it.

Eph 4:21  if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus:
v. 22  that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts,
v. 23  and be renewed in the spirit of your mind,
v. 24  and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.

So WE endure to the end by the Spirit in us, WE do what the Spirit shows/tells/inspires us to do, it is done through us and by us, that's why we are accountable. That's where Paul is coming from when he says "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling," because WE must endure to the end.

Php 2:12  Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;
v. 13  for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

Eph 3:20  Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us,
v. 21  to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.

mercy, peace and love
Kat
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 01:38:45 PM by Kat »

lareli

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 02:16:39 PM »

So Kat, what are we supposed to 'endure' to the end? I think you answered it. Are you saying we 'endure' the process of being changed by the Holy Spirit throughout this life? We endure the hard times and each and every heart break knowing that it's all a process designed by God to change us into His image? As opposed to resenting and fighting against our situations in life that bring suffering? Because to fight against our circumstance is to fight against Gods will for our life?

I’m just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

Kat

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 02:35:19 PM »

Hi largeli,

Yes I think so. What God has in store for us is not known, so we just strive to do the best we can, knowing it's not the easy way, but difficult to overcome this carnal fleshly ways.

Luke 13:24  "Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able.

Knowing always that God is not just putting us through the wringer for nothing, He is accomplishing a great transformation in us.

Rom 8:31  What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?

Php 1:6  And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

mercy, peace and love
Kat
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.