bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Habitat for Humanity  (Read 7564 times)

Max

Habitat for Humanity
« on: January 31, 2014, 03:11:44 AM »

I'm a college student, and I've been looking for a worthwhile organization to join, and I think I'm going to give Habitat for Humanity a shot. Has anyone ever been involved with them? I think it will be a good way to serve those in need and to share the Good News with those that I meet.

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Habitat for Humanity
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 04:35:40 PM »

Do it if that's what you want to do.  It's good to get out of yourself and meet people and situations different from your 'norm' and that of your peers.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Abednego

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 04:56:06 PM »

From the Habitat for Humanity website:

Each Habitat affiliate selects “partner families” to become Habitat homeowners. Habitat for Humanity follows a nondiscriminatory policy of family selection. Neither race nor religion is a factor in choosing partner families. Partner families are always selected based on their level of need, ability to pay and willingness to partner.

Applicants are required to meet several qualifications to ensure success. Each Habitat affiliate has its own guidelines. In general, prospective homeowners must:

Be citizens or legal residents.
Prove steady income.
Have good credit.
Earn a monthly income that falls within minimum and maximum limits, depending on household size.
Sustain a savings account over a specified period of time.
In addition, each partner family will be required to:

Invest sweat-equity hours in building his/her home and others.
Make an affordable down payment.
Make timely mortgage payments.
Attend homeowner education classes.

Big difference between a hand out and a hand up. I would hardly call these applicants bums.

Rene

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 07:30:13 PM »

Big difference between a hand out and a hand up. I would hardly call these applicants bums.

I totally agree.  That was a very inappropriate assessment of the recipients of these homes.

Max,

You can never go wrong doing a good deed for others. :)

René

rick

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 07:43:44 PM »

After reading what Adednego wrote I would think habitat for humanity is worth getting involved with. I believe helping people is a wonderful thing to do,  If you decide to get involved with habitat for humanity, it will be a great blessing to many people I’m sure.

The worst thing that could happen would be a family could end up owning their own home, I think that’s awesome.

If the Lord is leading you in that direction then go for it. Best wishes to you Max.

P.S. its good having people like you on planet earth who care about others, that’s a good thing.

God bless you Max for caring about the less fortunate and the needy of this world.  :)

Peace and love to all. :)

Abednego

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 08:32:32 PM »

I couldn't find it on the website, but I know I have seen before that in order to qualify for a home from them you need to commit a certain number of hours helping to build the home yourself. In fact, it might have been expressed as a percentage, I can't really remember. I don't remember what it was, and I'm not seeing it on the website now, but it was a lot more than just a few hours.

John from Kentucky

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 09:44:48 PM »

What does Jesus say?

Take heed
that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them.
Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven.

Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men.
Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.

But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing.

That your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly.

Matt 6:1-4

I deleted my first post in this thread because of the consternation and trepidation it caused.

But I will leave this post because Jesus' words reflect my belief on this topic.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:41:37 PM by John from Kentucky »

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 10:35:40 PM »

We'll trust that at least a few people will manage to do good deeds the way the Lord commanded.  Nobody can learn what Paul knew unless they 'try'.  Many will go the way of the Pharisees...but a few won't.  Give a young man a chance.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:40:57 PM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

rick

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 11:22:34 PM »

Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men.
Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.

I think that is a heart issue, in other words if I do a good deed and boast to everyone about it, I still did a good deed but I have been paid in full because I boasted about the good deed I have done.

But if I see a person drowning and there are twenty people watching and I jump in the water to save the person , well is not my good deed seen by all who are watching ? So do I loose my reward then because I did not save the person in secret?

Anyways we don’t have free will nor choice in any event and therefore we will always be doing either God’s will or following out God’s intention.

I cannot think of anything I can do that will take God by surprise whether I do a good deed only to boast about it or I’m doing it for the reward God will give me. But either way, someone benefitted from the good deed and that’s a good thing.

But isn’t it up to God or should I say what did God predetermine the manor in which I do anything? Now think of the sovereignty of God !

God really is sovereign, someone can give me the best advice on earth but if its God’s intention I go contrary to that advice, will I follow as I was advice to?  I think not. Lol

Don’t you just love God big time, I do, God is totally awesome to me.

Peace and love to all.

Joel

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 11:28:45 PM »

There are a couple of the Habitat for Humanity second hand stores in my area.
I like to go in every now and then just to see what they have.
Their crew built a house for a family across town, I haven't went by to see how it looks yet.

Joel

loretta

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 01:07:25 AM »

Habitat for Humanity is a nonprofit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry that has helped to build over 500,000 decent, affordable houses and served 2.5 million people worldwide.

Habitat for Humanity started working in India in 1983 and has since helped tens of thousands of families, making the programme in India one of Habitat for Humanity's largest within the Asia-Pacific region.  After the Jimmy Carter Work Project in 2006 - where one hundred homes were built by more than 3,000 volunteers, including celebrities like Brad Pitt, Steve Waugh and John Abraham, during a five-day blitz build in  Lonavala - Habitat India launched the IndiaBUILDS - A World of Hope Campaign to support 100,000 families to live in safe and decent homes by 2015.

India faced a housing shortage of 74 million housing units by the end of 2011, according to the National Housing Bank. The majority of the housing shortfall is in rural areas. One in every five rural dweller lives in a kutcha home made of mud, thatch, grass or other non-lasting natural materials. In urban areas, the poor live under bridges, on pavements, train tracks, highways, canals as well as in crowded slums.

A worthy project that I would encourage people to support. A local church here is organizing a marathon next week to raise funds for Habitat and I would support it wholeheartedly. But like every other NGO of its size, Habitat is likely to have its own shortcomings, so I would be wary of supporting them financially.  I would rather help people I know with money for rent/repairs or even navigating the system for housing finance/aid.  And what better way to share the good news as we know it. :)

Max

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 02:19:23 AM »

I just feel God is calling me to go out of my way to reach others, and I feel this is a way I can do that. Believe me, I'm in no way getting involved to boast and sound my own trumpet. I want to do something worthwhile, and I think this would be a good way to spend some free time I have. Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 03:29:50 AM »

I like what John said and that passage is true so we should obey it.

It says to be seen by them and if that is your attitude then your wrong but doesn't mean you can't be doing those things.

Luke 21:1  Jesus looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the offering box,
Luke 21:2  and he saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins.
Luke 21:3  And he said, "Truly, I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them.
Luke 21:4  For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on."

I'm sure the rich loved to be seen by men for there giving and not so the poor widow. Jesus used her as an example of giving so have her attitude.

2Co 9:7  Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
2Co 9:8  And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.

If it's what's in your heart to do then do it.

Rhys
🤫

acomplishedartis

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 04:43:39 AM »

good luck Max. I wish you the best on your next little project...

If I were to join an aid organization, I would try to find one that is not sponsored by religion.

But you seem to have your mind all set up already, so I guess just go ahead and do it. God knows your heart.

Abednego

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 10:52:57 PM »

JfK, I love reading your posts.  You're no nonsense, and know how to drill right in to the heart of a matter.  I've also been able to realign a few of my thoughts due to some of the things you have said, and that's another plus.

That being said, I can't believe how far away we are on our positions on this.  I understand the scriptures you reference, and they have changed me.  But let me expound.

As I continue, keep two things in mind. One, I know God is in charge of who lives and dies. No argument there. Two, is:

Philippians 2:13 (KJV) | For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Ray has said somewhere in one of his papers, as God does Phil 2:13, He hides it from us.  I can not feel what He is doing so as I put it, "I just do what I know to do". Going on:

My wife and I volunteer for an organization that targets at risk (mostly younger)  women considering abortion. When they bought the building for their present location, they needed a lot of help. Being computer savy, I handle their computer needs. I ran the cables to network three of their offices across two floors, and installed all the hardware to get them up and running. There were also people who installed walls, painted, replaced windows and a myriad of other things that I'm not very good at.

Was that a good thing to do?  Of course, but there is no way any of us could have accomplished what we did without others knowing what we were doing.  I know God wanted me to do that (now) because if He didn't then I wouldn't have done it.  Out of all the volunteers, I was the only one with the knowledge to give them what they needed. I believe God provided for that need with the background He gave me.

Now I move on, and the organization started a membership drive as a fundraiser. My wife and I decided on our donation. Not a big deal, we share what we have when we think it's the right thing to do.  At their annual meeting, where they detail what they are doing with their funds they had a time when they acknowledged the top four levels of giving.  When our names were read off, neither of us were tickled about it.  The next year when we decided what to give, we also told them we wanted it to be anonymous.  It was, but there were still a few people who had to know what we did.

So I'm not quite sure how you are understanding what Jesus was teaching?  Are you saying I should not support this organization because there is no way I can do it in secret?

If the only time I help anyone or give financially is when it isn't possible for anyone to know what I am doing, I just won't be able to help anyone very often.

Philippians 4:11-12
King James Version (KJV)
11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

For me the above goes hand in hand with what Jesus taught about giving.  I do know what it is like not to want.  I also know what it is like to eat out of garbage cans, because there was a time in my life where that is how I survived.  As I went from one to the other though, I found out up close and personal what the love of money can do to a person.  I understand (at least for me) exactly what Jesus was talking about when He spoke on giving.  Because I felt it, and I felt it hard.  It's the understanding that led me to say please make this gift anonymous.

Rant over, but remember:

Acts 4:36-37
King James Version (KJV)
36 And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, and of the country of Cyprus,

37 Having land, sold it, and brought the money, and laid it at the apostles' feet.

No secret here, they laid it out for all to see.  But then look what happened to Ananias and Sapphira.  They both did the same exact thing, but one did it right and one did not.  I don't think we're being told that we have to find a way where no one can see our works.  I just think we're being told not to do it like Ananias and Sapphira.

John from Kentucky

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 05:36:08 PM »

Can anyone provide at least two Scriptures that show the purpose of the true Church is to build houses for people?

The great false church performs multiple "good works."  Which is why billions are deceived.  The Many are deceived into thinking that good works equates with being godly.  The head of this false church is Satan, who appears as an angel of light.

If the great false church performs such good works, why does Jesus say "Come out of her My people".  Rev 18:4

Kat

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 06:18:35 PM »

John, I think you are equating "good works" just with the church. That certainly is not only done in the church, and good works are a necessary part of living a godly life. I think building a house for somebody would be a very good deed.

Mat 5:16  Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

Eph 2:10  For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

Titus 2:7  Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity,

Titus 3:8  This is a faithful saying, and these things I want you to affirm constantly, that those who have believed in God should be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable to men.

1Pe 2:12  having your conduct honorable among the Gentiles, that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may, by your good works which they observe, glorify God in the day of visitation.

No these Scriptures do not say specifically 'build a house'... our good works will be determined and rewarded (or not) by God. But if it is done to impress, then that's just self-glorification and not to the glory of God, which is not godliness, but that's certainly not the same as being wicked either.

Mat 6:1  Take care! Don't do your good deeds publicly, to be admired, because then you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven.

mercy, peace and love
Kat
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:11:44 PM by Kat »

rick

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 08:31:17 PM »

Just my opinion, but I commend anyone who does good in this life regardless of their motive or whether they believe in God or not.

The difference between those who are deceived and those who are not is they simply believe they have ..FREE WILL...and a few other funky doctrines which we here have been enlighten and thanks be to God for that also.

Max, if you believe that we have not free will and its Gods intention and will to save everyone who was ever born regardless who they are, what color they are what language they speak then go for it.

Also, if God is doing it through you, then you shall be rewarded for doing a good deed and if God is not doing it through you, you still helped a family in this life and what’s wrong with that?

Just my opinion, but if God ask us to love our enemy He certainly won’t be upset if we help people. And remember one thing, all those people in Christendom will be saved one day just like all of God’s elects are being saved now.

Love is a wonderful attribute, I also believe love is action, if I love someone and they are hungry and have not the means to buy food and I say I love you to that someone and have money to buy food for that someone but don’t , then what good is my love ?

Bottom line.... all is of God.

Peace and love to all.    :)

Abednego

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 01:33:41 PM »

One last thought Max.  Before I support a charity I research them.  I start with charitynavigator.org and guidestar.org.  I would not volunteer for any organization that I would not be willing to support financially.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.