bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Impossible"???  (Read 4842 times)

DerekSSands

"Impossible"???
« on: February 20, 2014, 03:05:09 PM »

Hello all  :) quick question
In discussing the matter of God's sovereignty, someone brought up some of the things that the scriptures say is "Impossible" for God to do, such as lie Heb. 6:18. I've always taken this to mean not that God is incapable, but that there is no point or purpose for God to lie, but I can't find any evidence to back this.....am I wrong? or is it a matter of understanding whats meant by this passage? Any help would be appreciated  :D
God Bless

friendofJC

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • Facebook
Re: "Impossible"???
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 04:52:37 PM »

You are right, Derek.  God limits himself to the truth, although he knows all about evil.

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 06:16:25 PM »

Ray use to say "Can God make a rock so heavy that He cannot pick it up." Sometimes these things can get silly.

rick

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 10:53:49 PM »

Just my 2....cents,  when one asks can God lie is to bring God down to our level, His ways are higher than our ways. Just think of the ramification if God ever did..........SCARY

Great point Dennis about Rays analogy.

DerekSSands

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 12:56:08 AM »

:) Thank you for the responses, Yeah I've hard that "can God create a rock too heavy for even him to lift" nonsense before, unfortunately there are a great number of different variations to it. how does one combat such a thing, or shold it simply be ignored?

Joel

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 01:04:51 AM »

The way I see it, God is the Truth.
The Devil is a liar, and the father of it. John 8:44
If God ever lied it would go against other things that we are told in the scriptures about The One and Holy God.
Is God like the devil, or man?
Does he make promises and oaths and not honor his own Word? I don't think so.
Where is there any evidence that God has lied?

Joel

cheekie3

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 10:37:55 AM »

All -

I believe the correct translation is 'that God does not lie'.

George.

Kat

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 11:09:20 AM »

The truth of God declared in Scripture shows the chief element of the nature of God and verifies the consistency of His perfect nature and being that we can fully trust.

Deu 32:4  He is the Rock, His work is perfect;
       For all His ways are justice,
       A God of truth and without injustice;
       Righteous and upright is He.

Psa 146:6  Who made heaven and earth,
       The sea, and all that is in them;
       Who keeps truth forever,

Psa 89:14  Righteousness and justice are the foundation of Your throne;
       Mercy and truth go before Your face.

Psa 25:10  All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth,
       To such as keep His covenant and His testimonies.

John 17:17  Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.

John 14:6  Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

James 1:17  Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.
v. 18  Of His own will He brought us forth by the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures.

John 1:14  And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

1John 5:6  This is He who came by water (baptism) and blood (sacrifice)--Jesus Christ; not only by water, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit who bears witness, because the Spirit is truth. (words in parentheses are my addition)

The term “truth” is the equivalent to the will and nature of God as can be expressed. In Scripture the expressed will of God is the very standard in truth that we can have assurance in and it is essential that we believe this basic and fundamental knowledge of who/what He is, Truth.

mercy, peace and love
Kat
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:13:49 AM by Kat »

indianabob

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 02:31:39 PM »

Folks,
I once heard an answer to the riddle, " what would happen if an immovable object was struck by an irresistible force"

The logical answer was "that by simple definition the two things cannot coexist."

You may imagine that there is the one, but then there cannot be the other.

John from Kentucky

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 03:31:52 PM »

All -

I believe the correct translation is 'that God does not lie'.

George.

George is right.  It is not that He cannot lie, but that He does not lie.

God is sovereign.  If He wanted to lie, who is going to stop Him?

The Scriptures tell us God created evil, all evil.  God created Satan, who is the father of the lie.

That makes God responsible for lies and all other evil.

It takes a mature spiritual mind to understand the above.  Such understanding can only come from God.

adiamondintheson

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 02:24:33 AM »

Den & I have just been studying on the foundational truths, http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6452.0.html trying to consolidate some of our understanding so that we are more able to explain to others what it is that we have learned.  We just came across the section that talks about "God Cannot Lie"...

Here is what Ray says in that article:

GOD DOES NOT LIE!  

Let’s go through just one major point here about God and His work.  Now I’m assuming that we accept the fact that there is a God. But first you have to accept that there is a creation and there is a Creator of the creation. I’m assuming that we all believe that there is a God of the creation.  

I’ll ask the question here, does God lie? I want to give you this verse in the Concordant in Titus, because it really is worded properly.

Titus 1:2  in expectation of life eonian, which God, Who does not lie, promises before times eonian, (CLV)

The King James says, “God, that cannot lie.” But that is not what it means, that’s not what it says. It doesn’t say in the Greek that He 'cannot' lie, it says "does" not. It’s a negative, can’t - don’t. But it’s not that He can’t, but He doesn’t. God doesn’t lie.

Num 23:19  God is not a man, that He should lie;

1 Sam 15:29  And also the Strength of Israel will not lie…

That is in a capital, it is talking about God. This is a Truth! You got to hang onto that. Under no circumstances can you ever let go of that Truth, it’s paramount. If you believe that God lies, then you might as well throw your Bible away. You might as well throw your religion away. This is paramount!

You say, ‘well teach me something new Ray, teach me something I need to know. Teach me something the whole church doesn’t know or believe.’ I am, they DON’T believe this. That’s why I’m telling you, you must believe this.
G o d   d o e s   n o t   l i e.

GOD’S WORD DOES NOT LIE!

John 17:17  Sanctify them through Thy truth: Thy WORD is truth.

John 10:35  …and the SCRIPTURE cannot be broken;

2 Tim 3:16  ALL Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

So the Scripture are true. They are true and they can’t be broken and they are written through the inspiration of God, who does not lie. Now have you got that point in your mind? Don’t ever lose that. This is your salvation, when it comes to you understanding the Scriptures and/or teaching others to understand the Scriptures or exposing those who contradict themselves.

We can now apply this TRUTH to ALL Scriptures. With just that Truth we can confound the mighty of this world and I’ll show you how to do it. This is not going to be a difficult study. But it is going to be maybe one of the most profound studies I’ve ever given.

Hope it helps you like it did the two of us..
Dennis & Connie

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.