bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Prayer  (Read 9654 times)

Doug

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Prayer
« on: March 08, 2014, 11:44:04 PM »

Something that has been concerning me lately is my prayers. They tend to be all too repetitive particularly when thanking God for His many blessings in my life. It seems everyday God hears the same old thing. Creativity is sorely lacking. I am appreciative but feel frustrated in the expression. Any suggestions how to better speak to our Father?

Doug

Extol

Re: Prayer
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 12:23:18 AM »

Howdy Doug,

I was just thinking about this the other day--and feeling sort of selfish. It seems like 90% of my prayers are about me--about 60% thanksgiving, and 30% asking for guidance/direction, etc. I felt rather guilty that I don't pray more for other people. But look at this loveliness:

Rejoice always

Pray without ceasing

In everything give thanks

For this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

1 Thess. 5:16-18

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 03:47:44 AM »

Pray what's on your heart

Rom 8:26  Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.
Rom 8:27  And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.

Also read Ray's paper. He covers it all there

Praying By God's Rules

http://bible-truths.com/praying.htm

Rhys
🤫

Doug

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 06:36:20 PM »

Thanks for your replies guys.

Rhys, I had read Praying by God's Rule's prior but read again and did glean more the second time around.

Extol, I usually pray in the morning and at night but have never really understood being in constant prayer. I think of God constantly but not sure that constitutes prayer thru out the day. Also, I'm still not sure what the answer is to the repetition of my prayers. There are day where I feel very connected to God in my prayers and days where just do not feel connected. I'm not sure that is the best way to describe but the closest I can get.

Doug

zvezda

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 07:40:06 PM »

I usually pray in the morning and at night but have never really understood being in constant prayer. I think of God constantly but not sure that constitutes prayer thru out the day.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3720.msg116701.html#msg116701:

(4) 1Th 5:17  Pray without ceasing.

In Matthew 6 Christ says don’t be like the Pharisees who want to be heard and stand in the Synagogue. They pray in the Synagogue, go into the house of prayer. There was the Temple, but the Synagogue was supposed to be a house of prayer too. But they loved to pray in the Synagogue and long prayers or some liked to pray on the street corners or whatever.

About four or five years ago somebody emailed me and they sent me something and I answered back and they got on me about this thing about corporate prayer. ‘Don’t you believe in corporate pray, Ray?’ I don’t find that phrase in the Bible, corporate pray. You can pray in front of the congressional pray breakfast or ‘corporate’ pray. But I said I don’t believe much in corporate prayer.

I pray in public when I feel like praying, I don’t pray as a ritual. Sometimes I pray short prayers and sometimes they’re a little longer depending on how I feel or the situation. But I don’t ever want to feel that it’s politically correct for me to pray now, so let’s pray. We can fall into that.

Pray all day, you know. If you pray all day and you are thankful all day and now you are going to have yourself a sandwich, then you don’t have to sit down and ‘Lord I thank You for this sandwich, oh how I love this sandwich Lord and I just want You to bless it to the nourishment of my body. Make this sandwich be disease free for the rest of my life.’

It’s not wrong to say ‘grace’ or whatever. But I don’t bow my head and say these vocal prayers out loud when I eat a sandwich. I’m always thankful for what I have. I’m always praying, all day every day. There isn’t a day goes by that I don’t pray 50-60 times or 70-80 times, I just pray. My thoughts are prayers, my meditation is prayers, I just think like God is there, that’s the way that I think.

I’ve told you that God is Spirit, He’s everywhere. He’s not sitting up there on a throne where you have to raise your voice so He hears you. So if you are praying silently… like I put in that paper that I wrote on prayer, ‘Praying by God’s Rules,’ I pray myself to sleep virtually every night of my life. That’s how I go to sleep, I don’t count sheep, I pray myself to sleep.

Last night I’m praying about today, praying about what I should talk about. You know, ‘help me give these people something worthy to take back home with them, so they will be really glad that they came and feel that they profited spiritually.’ I just pray about that and I pray about it and prayer goes into meditation and meditation goes back into prayer and pretty soon I’m asleep. Then I wake up and I don’t remember when I fell asleep, but all I know is I prayed myself to sleep.

I don’t think I’m a religious nut or something, but all day long I am always consciously aware of who I am and what I am and that I’m a child of God. I’m trying to live right and think right and do right, I think about that all day long. To me that’s good, I mean that it’s just possible to be. It’s always checks and balances… am I doing things right? Am I worrying to much? Am I showing my wife enough love? All these things, do I need to adjust my attitude on the way I’m writing on Bible Truths? I think and I meditate and I pray about this stuff all day long. Now then I get sidetracked where I will get in conversations or maybe I’ll watch television. I always watch the news, at least 20-30 mins. every morning while I drink a cup of coffee or second or third. Sometimes I don’t have a third or a second, but then I’m back at my computer and reading my emails and stuff like that. But I get sidetracked while I’m doing some other things, but mostly all day long I pray. “Pray without ceasing” (1Th 5:17).

Christ says don’t be like the hypocrites. Now when Jesus Christ wanted to pray… you don’t see many public prayers of Christ. I’m not saying that’s wrong, I’m just saying, you don’t see many from Christ, do you?

One time when He raised Lazarus from the dead, I guess it was Martha that said… He had said roll the stone away from the tomb, but she said, Lord by now he stinks, it’s been four days. He didn’t give a prayer, He payed no mind to these things. He doesn’t stink he going to walk out of there alive, he’s not going to walk out of there with rotten flesh, he was going to have good healthy flesh. He said out loud;

John 11:41  …And Jesus lifted up His eyes and said, Father, I thank You that You have heard Me. V. 42  And I know that You hear Me always…

He already knew that Lazarus was waking up, He just said roll the stone away so he can come out. He said, I thank You that You always hear Me, but He said for the sake of those that are standing around I said it out loud. Why did He say that? Because He normally didn’t do that. So you can, but it doesn’t have to be ‘politically correct’ or this is the time and the place and I think we should.
I mean I think there are times when you just about have to, at every situation that comes up like that. If you are burying a loved one in the ground and all of the relatives are standing around and you are a minister and you want to comfort them, I think you should offer a pray in behalf of those people and what they are going through. You comfort them, and ask God to comfort them. Now this is a public prayer that’s needful, that’s a good time to pray.

When you marry a couple, that’s a good time to say a prayer publicly for this couple and their life together and so on.

But most of the time you notice that Christ went up in the mountains to pray. He said go in your closet to pray. Most of the time it is a private thing between you and God. No one has ever said to me, ‘Ray what are you doing?’ Oh I’m praying… I don’t do that. It’s a private thing, they don’t know what I’m saying.

“Pray without ceasing.”   

rick

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 10:48:31 PM »

Pray without ceasing to me is a figurative statement. Try praying without ceasing at work, probably not going to get the job done.

Try praying without ceasing as your ready to retire for the night, will you get any sleep?

I do hvac for a living, I enjoy troubleshooting,  I feel great about solving problems but I always thank God for the problem being solved, sometimes while troubleshooting, I say to Jesus, which way should I go here.

God needs no changing as He is perfect , its we who are in need of change, most of my communication with God is always about me and letting God know I see things in my life that are not right And as much as I would like to change this or that I am powerless to do so.

Always acknowledge the sovereignty of God and never forget that the heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

It all comes down to simply trusting God for your life and to me, that is praying without ceasing.  :)

Doug

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 11:06:24 PM »

Zvezda, that is something from Ray that I had not read and it helps to understand prayer without ceasing.

Rick, your response helped bring things back down to reality for me. As you said how can you get your job done and pray without ceasing. But now I see just maybe I am now praying without ceasing since my thoughts and intent always revolves around God and seeking His will.

My habit at the beginning and end of day is to have what I'll describe as formal prayers. This is where possible change is needed. I try to praise God, thank God for His blessing, ask for forgiveness, pray for others and God's will in my life. This is where I get concerned about the repetition of my prayers. Maybe I need to look at prayer in a different light and change as God's spirit leads.

santgem

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 04:10:43 AM »

Pray without ceasing to me is a figurative statement. Try praying without ceasing at work, probably not going to get the job done.

Try praying without ceasing as your ready to retire for the night, will you get any sleep?

I do hvac for a living, I enjoy troubleshooting,  I feel great about solving problems but I always thank God for the problem being solved, sometimes while troubleshooting, I say to Jesus, which way should I go here.

God needs no changing as He is perfect , its we who are in need of change, most of my communication with God is always about me and letting God know I see things in my life that are not right And as much as I would like to change this or that I am powerless to do so.

Always acknowledge the sovereignty of God and never forget that the heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

It all comes down to simply trusting God for your life and to me, that is praying without ceasing.  :)

Hi Rick,
Greetings!

Thank you Rick for that wonderful post. I had also same experienced like yours. Can relate! :)

More often than not if  i have been  to clinic for my dentist, i ask the Lord to do the cleaning of my teeth, to do the filling, to do the  needle for anaesthesia, etc, etc, etc.

more often than not if i decide things that i should have my house improvements, repair the house, buy materials etc. etc., i ask and consult the Lord.

more often than not when i have major decisions in my life i ask and consult the Lord....

well,

He responded immediately......

really, i don't know why i am such very especial to him even though i think i am the most sinners among you.

More often than not every hour i sin against him because i am very very very weak, but i feel that he is patiently observing me and trying to understand my weaknesses.

even i ask the things which is not appropriate but he makes it a point to take from somebody else just to give it to me.... i don't know why i am such especial to him.

@ Doug,

I pray, same things that i pray yesterday or maybe same things that i might pray for tommorrow....

What matters is you ask the Lord not to forget you and ask the Lord to remind you to remind him.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:28:15 AM by santgem »

loretta

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 06:04:15 AM »

But look at this loveliness:

Rejoice always

Pray without ceasing

In everything give thanks

For this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

1 Thess. 5:16-18

Thank God that He made prayer so simple, so easy.

I too struggled with repetitive prayer lists till I got so bored of them!  ::)

I don't even pray myself to sleep.  I'm off to sleep before my head hits the pillow and I jump out of bed at the sound of the alarm.  During the day, I'm preoccupied with everything and anything.

But there are days like this morning, overwhelmed with worry, when I could bow my head in thankgiving for all the trials and troubles that have come my way.  Thankful really because of the confidence I have in the soverignity of God.  That everything will be alright in the end, no matter what. Thankful, that things are not worse than they already are.  And even if they are, still it will be ok.  What a blessed assurance!

Doug

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 08:01:02 AM »

Thanks Santgen and Loretta for your responses. I came out of a church that taught tithing your time in prayer. Old habits are hard to break and I feel to have effective prayers I must pray a certain amount of time and follow an outline of things to cover in the prayers. I'm starting to see this may not be what God desires but to be seeking Him not 10% of your time but all of your time.

I appreciate everyone's reply. Communicating via e-mail is difficult to me, I would much rather talk face to face. Unfortunately that is not possible but most days I read and am starting to feel a bond to everyone here. That is a true blessing.

Doug

Kat

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 12:20:42 PM »

Hi Doug,

My prayers are mostly pretty informal. What I'm thinking is I show God respect by acknowledging Him, by communicating with Him and that is pray. I think we should come to a place where we can automatically speak to God (usually just in our mind) about the things that come up all day long. If something/someone anything gets me frustrated/upset (project I'm working on, traffic) I might say 'help me calm down.' If I'm in a discussion (not necessarily about religion) and can't figure what to say, I ask for help there too. When I'm studying in Scripture I certainly want to ask Him to help me find something I'm looking for. I also try to thank Him immediately and anytime I feel blessed or happy about something. And pray for the needs of others when I know of them, those are more formal in that I take the time to stop and consciously call to mind those I want to pray for.

That's what I feel "pray without ceasing" is all about, if you can see what I'm saying. It's acknowledging God in everything and showing Him you are very aware of how much we are depend on Him by addressing/praying to Him about most everything. That I believe is entering to the heavenly realm and we feel closer to God when we are continually talking to Him. It's just good for our spirit to seek Him.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

John from Kentucky

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 04:16:37 PM »

Pray without ceasing to me is a figurative statement.

No it is not a figurative statement.  The words of Scripture are Spirit and they are Life.

One key to understanding is that words are not necessary for prayer.  The Holy Spirit can hear our spirit.

John from Kentucky

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 04:25:59 PM »

And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.

Therefore do not be like them.  For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.
  Matt 6:7-8

onelovedread

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 04:56:26 PM »

what do you think of 1 John 5: 14, that says, "Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. 15. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him."

Now suppose when we read, "according to His will," we interpret His 'will' to be what He has expressed in His Word? It seems to me that to find His Will we have to find it through what He has written in His Word. I mean, I don't think He's going to appear to us face-to-face to tell us, right?

And He does say that John: 14:7  if we abide in Him, and His Words abide in us , we will ask (pray) what we desire, and it shall be done for us. 8. By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit: so that you will be my disciples.

I kind of get the idea that if we pray according to God's Will as revealed in His Word and we ask in faith, then we'll not only be praying correctly but getting answers. What do you guys think?

Doug

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 11:07:38 PM »

Kat, I do see what you are saying. What I have been doing I never considered pray before. Starting to see things a little different now. You answer in ways that are very understandable.

John, saying the Holy Spirit hears our spirit is a very powerful statement. The repetition in my prayers was everyday listing everything I could think of that was a blessing. Now starting to see there maybe different and better ways to express my thanks to my Creator. By the way, I always enjoy your comments, would not always want to be on the receiving end but you speak your mind.

JohnChris, when you say ask in faith hit home. I usually expect God's answer is no or wait. Life has been fairly hard and I always thought that is God's will for me. Perhaps it's been my lack of faith for a more positive outcome. Do not get me wrong God has answered many prayers. When I prayed for a church that taught the truth He led me to BT. God saved me once from serious injury or worse, it was certainly a great faith builder. There have been a lot of answered prayers, however one big one for some physical healing from something that has been with me since an infant has been partially answered but hoping for more . Long story that do not want to bore anyone with. Bottom line perhaps I have not been praying in faith.

Doug

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 11:46:40 PM »

Thanks for your replies guys.

Rhys, I had read Praying by God's Rule's prior but read again and did glean more the second time around.

Extol, I usually pray in the morning and at night but have never really understood being in constant prayer. I think of God constantly but not sure that constitutes prayer thru out the day. Also, I'm still not sure what the answer is to the repetition of my prayers. There are day where I feel very connected to God in my prayers and days where just do not feel connected. I'm not sure that is the best way to describe but the closest I can get.

Doug

I think being in constant prayer just means always talking to God. I know I do it often but then there are days where I don't speak to Him at all, which also includes listening to Him. God  is my Lord and my Saviour amongst many things but He is also my best friend. I talk to Him about everything, from the funny things I see happening before me to the questionable actions of those around me, to my own behavior and struggles. I don't know.. thats what I take "being in constant prayer" to mean. Why not talk to Him all the time? He's there.

God bless,
Alex
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 12:51:35 AM »

what do you think of 1 John 5: 14, that says, "Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. 15. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him."

Now suppose when we read, "according to His will," we interpret His 'will' to be what He has expressed in His Word? It seems to me that to find His Will we have to find it through what He has written in His Word. I mean, I don't think He's going to appear to us face-to-face to tell us, right?

And He does say that John: 14:7  if we abide in Him, and His Words abide in us , we will ask (pray) what we desire, and it shall be done for us. 8. By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit: so that you will be my disciples.

I kind of get the idea that if we pray according to God's Will as revealed in His Word and we ask in faith, then we'll not only be praying correctly but getting answers. What do you guys think?

I'm a terrible "prayer".  But I'll chime in anyway.  Seems to me if we pray within the will of God revealed, as you said, in Scripture, there is no way we will NOT get answers.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

dave

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 01:41:47 AM »

Pray much and everyday.....with a rest... Selah....then LISTEN. He who has an ear let him hear. Just a thought. :)

Kat

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 11:33:05 AM »

Hi John,

John 15:7  If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.
v. 8  By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.

As I was looking over this passage notice that Christ was speaking of being the Vine and we the branches and that is how we bear fruit.

John 15:5  "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.

So this give us a references of what He is speaking of, so in verse 7, "ask what you desire," is speaking of bearing fruit! And what is the fruit that He desires we produce...

Gal 5:22  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
v. 23  gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

Of course what Christ is saying is SPIRITUAL and He is speaking of us bearing spiritual fruit, so what we "ask" of Him would concern spiritual things, not things that satisfy our physical desires. We do not need to worry  about the physical things we need, Christ states that those type things will certainly be provided.

Mat 6:31  "Therefore do not worry, saying, "What shall we eat?' or "What shall we drink?' or "What shall we wear?'
v. 32  For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.
v. 33  But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 02:58:16 PM by Kat »

jingle52

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 02:53:42 PM »

Thanks Kat, that is exactly what I pray everyday for, the anger issues I was struggling with seem to be diminishing as I continue to study, learn and pray. Praise Yahweh for His mercy and goodness. Since Ray also mentions one can pray any time and anywhere in silence
Jingle

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 19 queries.