bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: All Scripture is Inspired  (Read 11594 times)

lareli

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
All Scripture is Inspired
« on: March 28, 2014, 05:21:13 PM »

2 Tim 3:16, 17

"All Scripture is God-breathed.. "

When the word "scripture" is mentioned in the NT, how do we know that its talking about the NT books since there was no bible when these NT letters were circulating?

When Paul wrote to Timothy about scripture being God-breathed why is it assumed that Pauls letters themselves were scripture? I mean what and who decided that certain letters were scripture and certain ones were not?

When Paul said "scripture" was he reffering to his own letters as well as reffering to the prophets? Why is so much weight and authority given to the letters just because the apostles wrote (or didnt in some cases) them? 
I’m just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

John from Kentucky

Re: All Scripture is Inspired
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 07:26:19 PM »

Jesus selected the Apostles and gave them authority.

Peter had the preeminent position among the Apostles along with the two brothers, James and John.

James was killed early on, the second of the original Apostles to die.

It was Peter who began to assemble the New Testament, which was completed by John before the end of the 1st Century A.D.

By his authority, under the direction of the Holy Spirit, Peter called Paul's epistles "Scriptures".  Read 2Peter 3:15-16.  Peter stated that the unlearned and unstable wrestle (have problems understanding) Paul's epistles along with the other Scriptures.  The unlearned and unstable cannot understand Scriptures because they do not have the Spirit of God.

lareli

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 12:12:51 AM »

Thanks Dave and John, I found the answer I was looking for about halfway down the link where Ray talks about whether or not Peter knew he was writing scripture.. Also I was unaware that Luke actually wrote the gospel of Luke. I had thought that all the gospels were writin by disciples of Mark, Matthew, Luke and John second or third hand.

onelovedread

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 12:48:39 PM »

JfK
I thought that the epistle of James wasn't written by James the apostle, but by James the brother of Jesus (Joseph's son). Am I mistaken? Has that been refuted somewhere, and I missed it?

indianabob

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 11:26:38 PM »

Johnchris,

I believe that you are correct. James the author was the younger brother of the lord Jesus and not one of the 12.
Also for better understanding of what he and Peter wrote to the Jews that they ministered to, keep in mind that they were not for several years teaching from the letters of Paul which Peter found "hard to understand" or to explain to the Jewish disciples. 2 Peter 3:16

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 12:46:26 AM »

From the paper I linked:

"Something really interesting to me, is the doctrine of 2 administrations; one for the Jews and one for the Gentiles. Two different gospels and all that nonsense. The Concordant Publishing teach that, a total farce. You can read my paper ‘Exposing The Secret Rapture,’ a 100 pages that just blows all that away.

II Peter was written to show the apostasy that had set in and would grow worse. That the WORDS OF THE PROPHETS AND THE WORDS OF THE APOSTLES must be heeded and preserved.

II Peter 3:2  that you may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us, the apostles of the Lord and Savior,

But Peter says, Paul writes to you, isn’t that what he says in II Peter 3:15?
But I thought Peter was suppose to go to the Jews and Paul to the Gentiles. Now it says in Gal. 2, that I (Paul) was to the uncircumcised and Peter to the circumcised.

Gal 2:7  …when they saw that the gospel for the uncircumcised had been committed to me, as the gospel for the circumcised was to Peter.

But look at this.

II Peter 3:14  Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for these things, give diligence that ye may be found in peace, without spot and blameless in his sight.
v. 15  And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also, according to the wisdom given to him, wrote unto you;

Who did Paul write all his epistles to? The Gentiles. Paul is now in prison in Roman and Peter is writing to the Gentiles. What is going on here? Apparently Paul wanted him to, because Paul can’t get these letters out being in Roman, like he use to.

II Peter 3:16  as also in ALL his epistles, speaking in them of these things;

What did Peter know about “all his (Paul’s) epistles”? Because Peter had them. He had them all. How did he get them?"

He had them, but didn't teach from them?  I don't think so.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 01:12:27 AM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 12:19:54 PM »

A link to the paper Ray referred to in that bible-study:

http://bible-truths.com/rapture.htm

There's more to that paper than just what the title implies.

Rene

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 10:17:13 PM »

Also for better understanding of what he and Peter wrote to the Jews that they ministered to, keep in mind that they were not for several years teaching from the letters of Paul which Peter found "hard to understand" or to explain to the Jewish disciples. 2 Peter 3:16

In reference to 2Peter 3:16, I do not believe that Peter is saying that he does not understand Paul's teachings.  I see this scripture as Peter acknowledging that there are those who will find Paul's writings hard to understand, and that there are those who will twist these teachings to their own destruction.

Here is an email reply from Ray that is in agreement with how I see this scripture.

http://bible-truths.com/emails.html#PeterPaul

"And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as OUR BELOVED PAUL [I don't see any friction or animosity here, do you?] also according to the WISDOM given unto him hath WRITTEN UNTO YOU; As also in all  his epistles [Peter had THEM ALL!], speaking in them of THESE THINGS [the SAME THINGS that Peter writes about]; in which are some things hard to be understood [but PETER UNDERSTOOD THEM, THAT'S FOR SURE!], which they that are UNLEARNED and UNSTABLE WREST [THESE are the people who don't "understand" Paul's epistles, the 'UNLEARNED and   UNSTABLE'!!]" (II Pet. 3:15-16).

Peter then tells them that,

"YE therefore, beloved, seeing YE KNOW THESE THINGS [the one's that Peter is writing to are not the "UNLEARNED AND UNSTABLE," NO, they 'KNOW THESE THINGS'] before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the ERROR OF THE WICKED [they were the one's not understanding Paul's epistles, not Peter!], fall from your own steadfastness. But GROW IN GRACE AND THE KNOWLEDGE [sound like Paul does it?] of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ" (II Pet. 3:17-18).

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:28:10 PM by Rene »

John from Kentucky

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 12:03:02 PM »

JfK
I thought that the epistle of James wasn't written by James the apostle, but by James the brother of Jesus (Joseph's son). Am I mistaken? Has that been refuted somewhere, and I missed it?

Hi JohnChris,

Yes, you are correct.  The epistle of James was written by the brother of Jesus.  But I did not say otherwise.  In my post, I did not say anything about James (Jesus' brother) or his epistle.  But the Scriptures do refer to Jesus' brother James as an Apostle, except that James was not one of the original Twelve.  He was the leader of the church located at Jerusalem.

The James I referred to in my post was James, the brother of John the Apostle, the two sons of Zebedee.  That James did not write any of the Scriptures.  That James was killed by Herod Antipas to please the Jews, early on, some scholars say maybe around 40 A.D.  His death is documented in the Book of Acts.

There are too many similar names in the Scriptures, such that it is easy to confuse them.  Several James' and Mary's.   ;D

onelovedread

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 12:46:52 PM »

And JfK, there may be too many John's on the forum :P 8) ;) ;D

John from Kentucky

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 02:39:03 PM »

And JfK, there may be too many John's on the forum :P 8) ;) ;D

Never enough!  We're like sunshine.   :D

santgem

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 04:17:08 AM »

I'm walking on sunshine, yeheeey (3x)

and it's me feel good, it's make me feel good......#$%^&*()@+ :) ;)

lareli

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 12:50:54 PM »

Another question, what gives scripture authority?

For example.. A pastor wrote a book. Actually he's written a few books and his congregation, for the most part, would agree that his writing was inspired by the Holy Spirit. He, also, would probably say he was led by the spirit. If that were true, what would make his books less authorative than the letters that make up most of the NT?

Mike Gagne

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 02:26:58 PM »

Would it be that only those who have been unblinded will know that the scripture is the true? I had a church friend ask me why I wasn't in church and I told him I don't believe what they say anymore and I don't believe there teaching the truth. I mentioned that I have been reading and listening to LRay Smith and he said I read some of his stuff and that guy is way out there, he doesn't believe in speaking in tongues and this and that and I said good bye and hung up on him. My point is that when God opened my eyes to the teachings of LRay and  I seen that the scriptures he was teaching were true,because I could look back and see it all fit in to my life,and then it became truth. However my friend read his stuff and seen nothing?  So would it be safe to say that those who haven't had there eyes open will not see the truth? And so who  would  know what would be inspired By God?  So if a blind pastor was writing a book and a blind person was reading it how would they know if it was inspired by God?  I wander if I would know if that book was inspired or not?  Any how I don't speak in tongues anymore, thanks to God for LRaySmith teachings I have been set free, LRay Smith was a inspired teacher of the things of God By God!.....Blessing
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:30:29 PM by Mike Gagne »

Mike Gagne

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 02:35:57 PM »

Would it be safe to say all scripture is inspired for only a few?...Blessing

lareli

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 03:17:20 PM »

You hung up on him because he doesn't believe what you believe?

Mike Gagne

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 03:23:13 PM »

No he was getting very rude and I actually said good bye but maybe rude as well.

lareli

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 03:51:41 PM »

It is confusing for me. Every person from every denomination and every religion will claim that THEY are the ones who see clearly and everyone else is blind. How can one know what is true?

friendofJC

• Facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 04:18:44 PM »

1 john 4:1-6
John 14:17
John 16:13

Go to the word.  That is how God grows us in truth.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.