bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WHEN Literal Translations disgree  (Read 3712 times)

Duane

WHEN Literal Translations disgree
« on: April 25, 2014, 02:33:06 PM »

We know from Ray's studies and teachings that the holy spirit is NOT a person so I was SURPRISED that in John 16:12-15 that the Young Literal Translation referred repeatedly to the holy spirit as "HE" --where the Concordant Literal Version referred to the holy spirit as "it".  My concern is that there SHOULDN'T be a difference in translations as the LITERAL GREEK/HEBREW SHOULD BE EXACT in the difference between a PERSON and an INANIMATE.  LITERAL IS LITERAL. Comments?

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: WHEN Literal Translations disgree
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 07:04:51 PM »

Some Greek words can be translated into English more than one way.

G1565
ἐκεῖνος
ekeinos
ek-i'-nos
From G1563; that one (or [neuter] thing); often intensified by the article prefixed: - he, it, the other (same), selfsame, that (same, very), X their, X them, they, this, those. See also G3778.

Whether "he", 'she', 'it'  or some other word is used in the translation  depends on how the word is used in the sentence.  IF the translators assumed that the word referred to "the Holy Spirit, 3rd person of the trinity", it only makes sense they should translate it "He."   

I think you are misunderstanding the meaning of 'literal' when it comes to translations.  Also, there is no reason to assume that because the Spirit of God is not a person, it MUST be referred to as an "it" or "inanimate object".  The Spirit of God is decidedly NOT inanimate.  WISDOM is called HE in the OT (Psalms?) 

Here it is from the LITV (Literal Version):

Joh 16:13  But when that One comes, the Spirit of Truth, He will guide you into all Truth, for He will not speak from Himself, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will announce the coming things to you.
Joh 16:14  That One will glorify Me, for He will receive from Mine and will announce to you.

And from the Analytical Literal Translation.:

Joh 16:13  "But when that One shall come—the Spirit of the truth—He will guide youp into all the truth. For He will not speak from Himself, but as many things as He hears He will speak, and He will announce to you the coming [things].
Joh 16:14  "That One will glorify Me, because He will take from [what is] Mine and will announce [it] to you.

And from the Accurate New Testament (my most 'word-for-word' translation):

Joh 16:13  when but may come That The Spirit [of] the truth will guide you* in the truth every not for [It] will speak from itself but what* [It] will hear [It] will speak and the [things] coming [It] will declare [to] you*
Joh 16:14  That me will recognize for from the [one] [of] me [It] will receive {them} and [It] will declare {them} [to] you*

Makes good bedside reading, that one.   ;D

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Duane

Re: WHEN Literal Translations disgree
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 10:12:18 PM »

David from Tennessee:  Thank you for the time and effort that you put into your answer time.  Understanding the rules of OTHER languages is NOT something I considered.  Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.