bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Meditation Safe and Effective ?  (Read 4736 times)

loretta

Is Meditation Safe and Effective ?
« on: April 30, 2014, 12:55:08 AM »

Given the widespread belief that meditation practice is scientifically certified to be good for just about everything, the results of a recent major analysis of the research might come as some surprise. Conducted by the Association for Health and Research Quality (AHRQ)—a government organization that oversees standards of research—the meta-study found only moderate evidence for the alleviation of anxiety, depression, and pain, and low to insufficient evidence to suggest that meditation relieved stress, improved mood, attention, or mental-health-related quality of life, or had a substantial impact on substance use, eating habits, sleep, or weight. It looks like the scientific evidence for the benefits of meditation aren’t as solid as many might claim.

http://www.tricycle.com/blog/meditation-nation

lareli

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Is Meditation Safe and Effective ?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 03:53:56 PM »

Heres a link to a news story about a Bay Area middle school that implemented a meditation program and the results seem impressive

http://m.sfgate.com/opinion/openforum/article/Meditation-transforms-roughest-San-Francisco-5136942.php

Suspensions went down, attendance went up, the number of kids graduating and enrolling into elite high schools went up, etc.
I’m just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 04:00:55 PM »

Heres a link to a news story about a Bay Area middle school that implemented a meditation program and the results seem impressive

http://m.sfgate.com/opinion/openforum/article/Meditation-transforms-roughest-San-Francisco-5136942.php

Suspensions went down, attendance went up, the number of kids graduating and enrolling into elite high schools went up, etc.

Sounds like the best thing since sliced bread. Where can I get this meditation, does it cure aids and cancer as well? ;)
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

lareli

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 06:16:11 PM »

Loretta the title of your thread questions whether meditation is safe.. In what way would you think it's dangerous?
I’m just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 11:28:02 PM »

Psa 46:10  Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

Other translations use "Relax" but it has the same meaning.

Meditation is about making your mine still and quiet and letting God get a word in. My mind is always going and this is difficult for me. But I have succeeded a few times.

Works wonders for some, others, not so much. I don't have a problem with it as long as you are not evoking some pagan god or evil spirit.

Kat

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 11:57:06 PM »

As Dennis was saying, meditation is a way to connect with God, to shut the world out and contemplate on the spiritual.

Psa 119:15  I will meditate on Your precepts, And contemplate Your ways.

Php 4:8  Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. (NKJV)

1Tim 4:13  Till I come, give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.
v. 14  Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you by prophecy with the laying on of the hands of the eldership.
v. 15  Meditate on these things; give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all.
v. 16  Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you. (NKJV)

Psa 145:5  I will meditate on the glorious splendor of Your majesty, And on Your wondrous works.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

loretta

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 04:30:31 PM »

Loretta the title of your thread questions whether meditation is safe.. In what way would you think it's dangerous?

Largeli, the article refrenced is talking about mindful meditation, which is more of an eastern practice as opposed to meditating upon God.  It is also a very popular practice in the treatment of physical and mental illnesses.

Dennis is right.  Meditation can be used to evoke pagan gods or evil spirits and can be quite dangerous to the uninitiated. http://www.mudrashram.com/kundaliniemergencies.html

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 09:34:11 PM »

Doesn't meditation have many meanings? Can't one be meditating by listening to very calming music and doing studies? Perhaps reading a good book with some very soothing music in the background? I don't know.. that evokes to me a similar feeling that others would accredit to meditation. I've tried meditation but It usually takes me some ambient music to get my mind calm to the point that I can clear out all thoughts and focus on the Lord or other things. I just have an extremely active mind. I have trouble sleeping too because of it. :L
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.