bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Philippians 1:18  (Read 3288 times)

jojoross

Philippians 1:18
« on: June 23, 2014, 07:31:45 PM »

Philippians 1:18(NKJV)

What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is preached; and in this I rejoice, yes, and will rejoice.

Isn’t this verse saying that we should rejoice even if Christ isn’t being preached in truth?  As long as He is being preached we should rejoice correct? 
But doesn’t this contradict all the other verses speaking about false prophets preaching a different Jesus? 

Gods Peace,
Jordan

Rene

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Philippians 1:18
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 10:34:22 PM »

Hi Jordan,

I've always found it helpful to compare several bible translations when I'm studying scripture.  Sometimes a different translation will give you a clear understanding of what is being said.  Starting with verse 15, it appears to me that Paul is talking about those who are preaching with the wrong motive of heart , and not that they are preaching a false Christ.  Take a look at the following 2 translations and see if that helps.

Phil 1:15-18 - "Some indeed preach Christ from envy and rivalry, but others from good will. 16 The latter do it out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely but thinking to afflict me in my imprisonment. 18 What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice." (ESV)

Phil 1:15-18 - "15 It’s true that some are preaching out of jealousy and rivalry. But others preach about Christ with pure motives. 16 They preach because they love me, for they know I have been appointed to defend the Good News. 17 Those others do not have pure motives as they preach about Christ. They preach with selfish ambition, not sincerely, intending to make my chains more painful to me. 18 But that doesn’t matter. Whether their motives are false or genuine, the message about Christ is being preached either way, so I rejoice. And I will continue to rejoice. (NLV)

René

jojoross

Re: Philippians 1:18
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 06:08:26 PM »

Wrong Motive of heart!!! There it is!  Thanks Rene!!!

Gods Peace,
Jordan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 24 queries.