bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Judging oneself  (Read 4578 times)

rick

Judging oneself
« on: June 28, 2014, 06:42:53 PM »

The scriptures say , if we judge ourselves then we won't be judge, my question is how do we judge ourselves ?

If I do something that's not right I agree with God I'm wrong, I won't say what I believe to be wrong is right. Having said that, it doesn't make me better than the one who says wrong is right.

So how do we judge ourselves and in judging ourselves can we change what we do ? I'm just a little confused because I believe in ( no free will ) Yes I understand I have a will but every choice I make has a cause behind it so I cannot make and uncased choice at any given moment at any given time.

It would be awesome to hear other views on this subject.

God Bless you all.   :-\

Rene

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Judging oneself
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 11:41:36 AM »

Hi Rick,

The scripture you are referencing is found in 1Cor. 11:31-32, "But if we judged ourselves truly, we would not be judged. But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world."

I understand this "judging ourselves" as being a process of daily awareness of our conduct and behavior in this world.  God's Elect are being "disciplined" and "chastened" NOW.  It is more than just acknowledging that we did or said something wrong, it is growing to hate our carnal nature and all that comes with it.  It is an incredibly humbling experience the Lord will take you through as you grow to see who you are at heart.

Here are a few statements Ray made on the subject:

http://bible-truths.com/lake3.html

Now I hope that none will be offended at my next few statements, but if so, so be it. Unless God Almighty through the purging power of His FIERY SPIRIT, is BURNING OUT the lusts and passions and vanity and haughtiness and greed and self-righteousness and laziness and weakness and hypocrisy and wickedness and pride and materialism and cynicism and depravity and carnality in your life, then Jesus Christ is not choosing you to reign with Him as the Sons of God in the Kingdom of God to bring all Heaven and Earth to repentance and salvation!

http://bible-truths.com/lake16-D4.htm

There can be no argument against the fact that God's Elect are to "bow their knee" NOW in this Church age or we will find ourselves in the next age when, "Because He has appointed a day in the which He will judge the world in righteousness..." Acts 17:31). During our calling, we stand before the Judgment of Jesus and give an account daily of the works done in our flesh. How do we actually do this? Paul instructs us: "For if we would judge ourselves..." (I Cor. 15:31). This is how we are to be judged.

Notice how Paul's statement is in perfect agreement with that of Jesus: "And if your right eye offend you, [you] pluck it out... And if your right hand offend you, [you] cut it off..." (Matt. 5:29-30).

Isn't that amazing? That's how Jesus Judges US. He helps us judge OURSELVES! It is voluntary. But if we do not volunteer to judge ourselves, guess what? "...for it is profitable for you that one of your members should perish [voluntarily] and not that your whole body should be cast [Gk: ballo-'throw violently or intensely' against your will] into Gehenna [fire]" (Ver. 30)

"For if we would judge ourselves we should not be judged... we should not be condemned with the world" (I Cor. 11:31-32).

Kat

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 01:22:22 PM »

Hi Rick,

Paul was very outspoken and specific on how believers should live and judge themselves or crucified their flesh.

Gal 5:13-26  For you, brothers, were called to freedom. Only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity to gratify your flesh, but through love make it your habit to serve one another. For the whole Law is summarized in a single statement:

"You must love your neighbor as yourself."

But if you bite and devour one another, be careful that you are not destroyed by each other. So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will never fulfill the desires of the flesh. For what the flesh wants is opposed to the Spirit, and what the Spirit wants is opposed to the flesh. They are opposed to each other, and so you do not do what you want to do. But if you are being led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.

Now the actions of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, promiscuity, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, rivalry, jealously, outbursts of anger, quarrels, conflicts, factions, envy, murder, drunkenness, wild partying, and things like that. I am telling you now, as I have told you in the past, that people who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against such things. Now those who belong to the Messiah Jesus have crucified their flesh with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, by the Spirit let us also be guided. Let's stop being arrogant, provoking one another and envying one another. (International Standard Version)

Just a little addition to what has already been said.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

rick

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 02:22:30 PM »

Thanks Rene for your explanation.

Would you agree if what one does, either bothers them or at least acknowledge’s something or some things in their life that are not right then could one say Christ is working in that one’s life?

The information I found here at B.T. has taken the greatest fear I once had which for me was  death, my belief system was far from the truth of Gods plan for all humans beings.

I know God is calling out for Himself a people here and now and also I realize its nothing personal if God is not calling a particular person.

Thanks to B.T. I realize God’s elect are being called now and all others later. No one is going to be excluded which speaks volumes of the love of God to me even though God may hate some of us now but His hatred will not last throughout the ages without end.

I guess what I’m trying to understand is what side of the fence I stand on, I never heard and audible voice from God to me saying I’m one of the elect.

I can say how much I have personally been comforted by the truths I have come to understand from B.T. whether I’m saved or not I can with honesty say God is awesome to me. Perhaps there are some things I want to know that only time will tell or the resurrection for sure .

I do see some changes in certain things in my life, things I just don’t want to do anymore that I once enjoyed but I can’t say I hate those things but I just don’t want to do those thing which are not right but there are other things I do that I would not prefer to do .

I just don’t want to assume that any changes in me are necessarily changes brought about by Christ. People change over time, for instance when I was in my early twenties I could party all night long but today, no thank you, I’m done with that sort of thing.

Did Christ bring about that change or did I finally grow up and realize there is no wisdom in that sort of life style?

I’m a human being, there is nothing special about me, all praise, honor and glory belong to God .

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 04:33:34 PM »

Great thread rick! Thank you for posting this. The responses have been very edifying. I certainly had a burst of anger yesterday... and then I tried convincing someone of something against their will. How foolish of me and arrogant.
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

rick

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 07:06:39 PM »

Hi Kat,

Perhaps my concerns are in what I want or think God should be doing in my life rather than what God is doing. My meaning here is I see a thing or a flaw/s and think this must go but find it remains.

However today I had an incredible sense of empathy and forgiveness for other people who lives are lived in bondage of one thing or another.

Maybe God is not interested at this time in what I feel are the bigger things in my life. Maybe it’s the smallest things or even things I’m not even aware of that are of greater importance to God concerning me.

When I read about those who will not inherit the kingdom of God because of certain practices in their life, it maybe God’s way of communicating with those who are perishing, but these have no choice or say anymore than an elect of God has any say or choice in being an elect.

I sometimes think God may purposely leave a particular thing in a believes life to keep them humble while He works in other areas in a believers life but I’m never sure about anything when it comes to me.

I find a believers walk with God is nothing like studding for a test and knowing before its even graded you going to pass with ease, it’s just the apposite I believe. With God I never know what my grade will be so to speak.

I don’t say I have any fears in me concerning God whether I’m excepted or rejected for I now know the goodness of God, I’m never angry with God but sometimes am  perplex other times I’m in a state of awe .

God’s wisdom is beyond my understanding and so I trust God for my life not only while I live  but even after death......God is Good in every sense of the word good, this I believe wholeheartedly.

God is not the monster I was once taught He was just waiting to take a baseball bat to me. Lol God is Good.   :)

Rene

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 08:24:06 PM »

I just don’t want to assume that any changes in me are necessarily changes brought about by Christ. People change over time, for instance when I was in my early twenties I could party all night long but today, no thank you, I’m done with that sort of thing.

Did Christ bring about that change or did I finally grow up and realize there is no wisdom in that sort of life style?

Of course these changes in your life are brought about by Christ.  Whether or not we are one of God's Elect, we are still ultimately His workmanship.  8)   

Eph 2:10 "His, in fact, we are—His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus upon a footing of good works, which God prepared beforehand that therein,we might walk.

1Cor. 3:13-15 - "Each one's work, shall be made manifest; for the day will make it plain, because by fire is it to be revealed,—and, each one's work, of what sort it is, the fire itself will prove. If anyone's work shall abide, which he built, a reward shall he receive, If anyone's work shall be burnt up, he shall suffer loss, but shall himself, be saved—though, thus, as through fire."

René

rick

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 09:04:18 PM »

Hi Alex,

I read nearly all your responses to other post and can tell you have a great deal of wisdom in the things of God, I do find many things in life to be a stumbling block.

I guess the old saying is true in that one can lead a horse to water but you can’t make the horse drink.

I can relate to those things you say.

Thank you also Rene again for your response.   :)

Kat

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 09:18:34 PM »

Hi Rick,

Yea, well I never heard a audible voice tell me I'm elect either. But you know I don't think God will let us know for sure, because our flesh could not handle that kind of knowledge properly, we would get all puffed up about it or whatever. But if we do believe these truths and 'want' to obey then we certainly can have hope and hope is a very good thing to have.

Rom 8:23  However, not only the creation, but we who have the first fruits of the Spirit also groan inwardly as we eagerly await our adoption, the redemption of our bodies.
v. 24  For we were saved with this hope in mind. Now a hope that can be observed is not really hope, for who hopes for what can be seen?
v. 25  But if we hope for what we do not yet observe, we eagerly wait for it with patience.

Here is something that Ray said that I think applies to this.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,4472.msg34384.html#msg34384 -----

[Someone ask the question: is that why Christ was always in prayer?]
Well yes, it’s like the old saying; act like it all depends on you and pray like it all depends on God. That’s the way you should live your life. He could not help but pray. 
What appears to be contradictions are not contradictions, when you have a higher spiritual understanding of what it’s talking about. 
Let me show you a perfect example and it sounds like a contradiction, but it’s not.

Phi 2:12  “Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.”

Doesn't that contradict this whole thing, we’re saved by grace and not of works?  And now we’re to work out our own salvation?  What is that?  How do you explain that?  “ Of Myself I can do nothing…” (John 5:30),  and he said YOU can do nothing (John 15:5), He said to the apostles. Then Paul says “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.” Well it does sound like a contradiction. Read the next verse, He tells us why.  ‘For,’ now that word always means ‘because,’ it’s another word for because.

Phi 2:13  “For(because) it is God who works in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure.”

Some of you probably still don’t get the answer, but it is there. Work out your own salvation, is not the jest of that saying, He is not saying, work out your own salvation(.) No, he’s saying “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, that’s where the emphases is, on fear and trembling, not on work out your own salvation.  You work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, why? Because it all depends on God. If God doesn’t do it, it won’t happen, IT WON’T HAPPEN. So we live in fear and trepidation.
v
You think, 'I shouldn’t have done this or that.' That’s right you should think that way. You should think that... 'I shouldn’t have done that,' because then you're learning. When you learn, you will then put that into practice. Because God doesn’t have you learn things so you can’t put them into practice, He has you learn things so you CAN put them into practice. But the only way you will learn them, is if you see how stupid it was, and you say if I had it to do over, I wouldn’t have done that. So YOU HAD TO DO THEM! Because that lead to a lot of trouble and pain and sorrow.  But did you learn your lesson? 'Well yea.' Then don’t do it again, okay, now their back on track. 
-------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 10:57:26 PM by Kat »

rick

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 10:20:11 PM »

Hi Kat.

Thank you for your response one again, The e-mail from Ray which you have posted was what I needed to read.

Between Rene and you, my confusion has disappeared and now my understanding is much clearer now.

I definitely see I have a part in my walk with God where as before I believed God will do it all which in a way I still believe He does it all but I see where I am an active participant whereas before I did not understand that.

Thanks once again for the valuable e- mail you posted as it set me free from all this confusion I been going through ..............................I finally get it.  :)  :)  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.