bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: James 5:16  (Read 3443 times)

Riddles

James 5:16
« on: July 03, 2014, 11:00:26 PM »

I just wanted to say that it's FUN and EASY to pray on behalf of other people, because I do not question their "worthiness" or the likeliness of the prayer being answered.  Having not been part of a church or prayer group this all is new to me.

One of the things I am still a little challenged by is an idea that I am bothering God every time I pray - as if He has to stop whatever important thing He is doing in order to listen to me.  But praying for other people?  Oh I'm there.

Even when I judge and search myself, ask for forgiveness and strength and guidance then pray for my own self, often my shortcomings and past misdeeds fly through my mind's eye as if to say Who do you think you are?  This affects my ability to believe that I receive the things I ask for Mark 11:24 - or even to pray for those things in the first place.

But, praying for other people? I can really go to town and believe - there is no friction.  So don't be timid with posting your prayer requests everybody! I don't claim righteousness but I really understand now why we are told to pray for one another. Does everyone know this but me?

James 5:16  Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: James 5:16
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 01:07:47 AM »

If prayer is ever a 'skill', it isn't one I'm very good at.  I didn't have the closest relationship with my dad.  Our 'talks' were infrequent and often not very fruitful...this is what I'm used to.  I can't say I've 'progressed' a lot farther in the way I 'feel' a relationship with the Heavenly Father.  It isn't that I don't believe...in fact, it is sorta my kind of 'faith' to believe without a constant stream of positive reinforcement. 

Even so...occasionally even I will be moved to pray 'earnestly', even if I don't REALLY understand what that means.

Don't know if that answers your question, assuming you weren't being rhetorical.   :)
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

AwesomeSavior

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 11:35:33 PM »

Riddles:

Satan is the accuser of the brethren (Revelation 12:10), and he does so before our Father, DAY AND NIGHT. This ties in nicely with "Who do you think you are?", as you have remarked. Where does our Father reside? In our spiritual minds, which is referred to as the heavens (Psalm 89:5). He is constantly harassing us with all kinds of diversions, doubts, temptations, fears, and other wicked thoughts. The best way to deal with him is to recognize that these are his schemes (2 Corinthians 2:11). I pray each day for my needs, as well as for my family, a few friends, and the saints. Sometimes I also quote Jude 9, just like Michael the Archangel did... "May the Lord rebuke you". Satan hates you and your prayers, and he will try his best to send up mental roadblocks of one sort or another to stop you. See Job 1:6-11 & Job 2:1-5 to see the Adversary in action.

I hope this helps!

God Bless.

Dean

HoneyLamb56

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 10:43:16 AM »

Thanks Riddles needed to see your post as I haven't been to BT for a while.
I do pray for others even if I don't post saying so.  Maybe there are others like that too.  Guess we should post just to let others know we support them in prayer.  Having said that, I don't usually request because I feel mine are trivial.  But I feel I do need help with one:  my stubborness with my resentment toward my mother.  I don't want to let it go!  It's not Christlike but in my carnality,  I'm not ready but yet I pray about it; just realized tho that I should also be praying for my mother. 

wat

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 06:07:52 PM »

Seems like you described me Dave. I'm not the best at conversations. I can identify with talks being infrequent and unfruitful.

Maybe prayer is more than the conventional, ritualistic prayer of Christendom. I doubt we're all constantly thinking of keeping the sabbath everyday, and taking communion, and all other types and shadows which are spiritual. Just as worship is more than bowing down and praising God, it's obedience, it's like a lifestyle. Maybe prayer is along similar lines. Not to say conventional prayer doesn't have it's place, I feel inspired to do that from time to time.

I remember as a kid thinking about the verse "pray without ceasing." I took it literally and wondered how one could possibly do that. You wouldn't have time for anything else.

John from Kentucky

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 09:28:51 PM »

When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men.  Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.

But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words.

So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.
  Matt 6:5-8

Riddles

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 07:53:31 AM »

If prayer is ever a 'skill', it isn't one I'm very good at.  I didn't have the closest relationship with my dad.  Our 'talks' were infrequent and often not very fruitful...this is what I'm used to.  I can't say I've 'progressed' a lot farther in the way I 'feel' a relationship with the Heavenly Father.  It isn't that I don't believe...in fact, it is sorta my kind of 'faith' to believe without a constant stream of positive reinforcement. 

Even so...occasionally even I will be moved to pray 'earnestly', even if I don't REALLY understand what that means.

Don't know if that answers your question, assuming you weren't being rhetorical.   :)

Oh count me among those Bad at Prayer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.