bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brothers and sister  (Read 5280 times)

Nelson

Brothers and sister
« on: July 08, 2014, 11:27:37 AM »

Hi ya'll

How do we forsake houses,father, mother, our brothers,sisters,lands etc for the name of christ? Are these the same brothers and sisters that christ said they do the will of the Father?  THis is really confusing.

lilitalienboi16

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Brothers and sister
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 03:42:10 PM »

Hi ya'll

How do we forsake houses,father, mother, our brothers,sisters,lands etc for the name of christ? Are these the same brothers and sisters that christ said they do the will of the Father?  THis is really confusing.

Stand with both feet in the Kingdom. You cannot serve two masters.
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

AwesomeSavior

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 11:22:30 PM »

Nelson:

Matthew 19:29

29  And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit eonian life.

In other words, obeying Christ's commandments has to come first in our lives. Here is a second witness to that effect:

Matthew 22:36-40

36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Kat

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 11:36:13 AM »

Hi Nelson,

Here is a Scripture where Jesus was speaking to a crowd when His family came and ask to speak to Him, here is what He said.

Mat 12:46 While He was still talking to the multitudes, behold, His mother and brothers stood outside, seeking to speak with Him.
v. 47 Then one said to Him, "Look, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside, seeking to speak with You."
v. 48 But He answered and said to the one who told Him, "Who is My mother and who are My brothers?"
v. 49 And He stretched out His hand toward His disciples and said, "Here are My mother and My brothers!

Those that were seeking to learn the truth, His disciples, are the ones He said was His family

Matt 12:50 For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother."

So the point He was making is that His physical family of this world, were really just that a temporary physical family. He show how must more important those seeking to do the will of the Father were, because they were His spiritual family. Now He goes on the speak even stronger about this recorded in Luke.

Luke 14:26 "If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple.

What I believe He means here is that nothing or nobody can come before our love for God. Indeed those seeking to obey God fully must forsake everything physical, to the point it could be considered hate in comparison to their love for God.

This is a spiritual lesson that Jesus is teaching, that the spiritual is far more important than this temporary physical world and there can be nothing or nobody in a believers life that would cause them to not obey God fully.

Luke 14:33 So likewise, whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple.
v. 34  "Salt is good; but if the salt has lost its flavor, how shall it be seasoned?
v. 35  It is neither fit for the land nor for the dunghill, but men throw it out. He who has ears to hear, let him hear!"

Just like salt makes things better, believers should make the world better, by their words/deeds letting their light shine.

Mat 5:13  "You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.
v. 14  "You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.
v. 15  Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.
v. 16  Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

rick

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 01:20:57 PM »

Hi Nelson,

One cannot forsake anything in this life on their own, unless prompted by God. One cannot stop doing anything on their own until God says now you will stop doing such a thing or now you will start do such a thing.

It’s an incredible thing to me personally but I’m exactly where God wants me to be in life and also everyone else is too.

Although I maybe doing something I prefer not to do, or even to be doing what I prefer to do, its  my choice to do it either way with the only choice possible to me at any given time according to the causes that cause me to make a choice by God.

I don’t see God so much as having to do this or do that or obeying this rule or don’t do that. Christ is a way of life. If Christ has begun a work in me then Christ will also finish that work in me.

I always remember God is calling out for Himself a people here and now, He maybe calling me or may not be calling me, if God is calling me I cannot conclude He’s calling me because I’m better than another as we are all sinners and we are all guilty of everything.

If God is not calling me so be it, I don’t deserve to be called anyways, I never forget I’m a sinner . I find it fascinating that God’s elect were called long before the creation of the earth, before one person ever was.

I believe whether one is called or not in either case no ones life is a waist of time in the plan of God as everything was worked out long before anyone was born, long before anyone did good or evil.

Everything is dependent on God , whether we live or die, we live to God or we die to God.   :)

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 03:29:02 PM »

Really great responses in here. Thanks everyone :)
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 05:25:03 PM »

If God is calling you as one of His then you will do those things as it is the things of the kingdom that now consume you not the things of this world.

The world will say you should be doing this as it seems to be the right thing to do but you should do what God shows you.

Read this from Ray which may be of help:

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,12757.msg111880.html#msg111880

Passage from this message from Ray in blue below:

I particularly was interested in the words "give up everything" from the translation you used. A better translation would be:
"...taking LEAVE of all his possessions."  Jesus is not telling them in this case, to give away, or sell all that they possess,
but rather to be willing to forsake (maybe for just awhile) the pleasures of many possessions.  Didn't Peter say to Christ
that "...we have FORSAKEN ALL" in Matt. 19:27?  What was Jesus' reply?  He said they would sit on twelve thrones
judging the twelve tribes of Israel.  Are WE all promised to sit on twelve thrones as they were?  Sometimes context is
important.  Now then, more importantly, did Peter and the apostles (at this time of Matt. 19:27), literally get rid of everything
they owned to follow Jesus?  No, a few years later when they crucified Jesus and Peter thought their ministry was over,
what did Peter say?

Joh 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I GO A FISHING. They say unto him, WE ALSO GO with thee.

They went forth, and entered into a ship immediately; and that night they caught nothing.
Did they not still own a "boat" to "go a fishing?"  God is not asking us to give up, get rid of, or give away, all of our worldly
possessions and become beggars in the street to follow Him.  Hope this helps you.

Rhys
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:36:39 PM by Rhys »
🤫

Nelson

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 06:09:27 PM »

Thnx guys.That reply from ray was awesome rhys.its amazing the things tht ray saw in scripture unlike me or many of us...its like when plying chess against a tough opponent, u jst neve see the game the same way he does nd never see the things he sees

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 06:29:48 PM »

Thnx guys.That reply from ray was awesome rhys.its amazing the things tht ray saw in scripture unlike me or many of us...its like when plying chess against a tough opponent, u jst neve see the game the same way he does nd never see the things he sees

Ditto. Ray's insight was amazing on that. From so little he truly gleamed the whole of it. I could only beg God for an ounce of such wisdom! I still miss so much when I try and study the Word.

Kat

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 10:27:20 AM »

Yes Ray was given great insight to teach the things he did. Now he did have a background as a Bible student more than most, but if you recall he would make comments about not even taking breaks to eat when he was working on the articles he wrote. It seems from the time he started writing the articles for BT he devoted the great majority of his time in the Bible and researching, as he talked about spending all day in front of the computer doing this work. And he also would mentioned the thousands of hours he would spend thinking/meditating on these things that also must have also played a part in him insight.

What I'm getting at is Ray was not a casual Bible reader at all, he was passionate about it and was devoted everyday spending hours in study and contemplation on these things. And from what he said pray was no small part of his life either. I believe Ray set a great example in what is required for those who have the Holy Spirit and are serious in their Scripture studies to see things in it like he did.

I believe the time we apply ourselves to study, meditation and pray is another way to "forsake all." It certainly does take you away from family and even your own pursuits in life to really put God first this way.

Luke 14:26  "If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple.
v. 27  And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple.
v. 28  For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it—
Luke 14:33  So likewise, whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple.
v. 34  "Salt is good; but if the salt has lost its flavor, how shall it be seasoned?
v. 35  It is neither fit for the land nor for the dunghill, but men throw it out. He who has ears to hear, let him hear!"

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Rene

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 10:28:30 AM »

This thread reminds me of a question I have asked myself and given serious thought about.  Is there anyone (family, friends, lovers) or anything (money, career, hobby, home, etc) that is more important to me than the faith I have been given and the spiritual truths I have to come to know in the last 8 years of my life?  In other words, would I give up this "spiritual awakening" for anything, I can honestly saw that I believe there is nothing worth it. 8) 

René

lareli

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 04:51:14 PM »

I agree with Rene. I would rather end up in a gutter hated by all and lonely, hungry, cold, but still having the truth, than end up secure and safe for the rest of my life but being deceived.

To the OP, how do you forsake loved ones? Accept the fact that they're all already dead. Or as good as dead anyway. No one who has lived before us has escaped death and none of us will escape it either. It's inevitable and so guaranteed that we might as well accept it now. I've mourned the loss of my wife, kids, and kissed this world good-bye in one way or another. My wife and kids aren't dead yet.. Or are they? Isn't time just an illusion anyway? One can tell the difference between the past and future but can anyone define the present? As soon as a second passes it's in the past. How long is the present? Or is all time connected?

Anyhow I believe that the time I have here with family is all borrowed time. God has declared the end from the beginning and since He has declared what the end will be it is already as good as done. We're all dead already. And we're all saved already.
I’m just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.