bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: and much study is a weariness of the flesh?  (Read 4236 times)

jojoross

and much study is a weariness of the flesh?
« on: July 11, 2014, 04:37:05 PM »

Ecclesiastes 12:12-13 (ESV)--My son, beware of anything beyond these. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh. The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.

So is the "weariness of the flesh" a good thing by studying the Word? It looks like to me we should fear God and keep his commandments in the end?  A little insight would be great.  Thanks!

Gods Peace,
Jordan

rick

Re: and much study is a weariness of the flesh?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 07:41:01 PM »

Hi Jojoross,

Some translation can be confusing.  I know the scripture says to study to show thyself approved .

Here are those scriptures below from the G.N.B.

Ecc 12:12  My child, there is something else to watch out for. There is no end to the writing of books, and too much study will wear you out.

Ecc 12:13  After all this, there is only one thing to say: Have reverence for God, and obey his commands, because this is all that we were created for.

Ecc 12:14  God is going to judge everything we do, whether good or bad, even things done in secret.

Hope that helps.  :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 07:43:36 PM by Rick »

Nelson

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 09:03:41 AM »

Howzit

I think its important to find a balance and not overstudy.For instance the word is food enough for us to read,but then u'll find that at tyms u mite end up doin too much research(like at one point I was doing,readin abt illuminati and other junk).its like living overighteously,living like a glutton.So jst find the balance..ask God for it.I knw from personal experience I overrighteous,and digging where I was not supposed to only to realise all I need to know is the scripture.So that's how I see it--BALANCE!

Ecclesiastes 7:16"do not be overirighteous,neither be overwise-why destroy yourself?(NIV)

rick

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 03:00:35 AM »

Yes, balance seems logical to me but how much should one study? My question concerns the sovereignty of God.

Who calls us ? Who gives us the desire to learn about the things of God ? God is the cause of all things. I read more than once where Ray said he study for thousands of hours.

I can say from experience there are times when I feel compelled to study, I have a deep want fulness to study and I will spend all day in study and other times I have no desire to study but have a desire to reflect.

As I realize in a deeper sense the sovereignty of God I start to understand I am only an active participant in where God is leading me.

It’s wonderful to know that no matter what choice I make can never screw up God’s plan for me, every choice I make was God’s intention for me.

One can say God’s plan is foolproof, no way can we mess it up because our will is always subjected to God’s will an God’s intentions.

So can I over study ? If that’s what God intends for me to do, then I guess so. When I learn a new truth about God, that is exciting to me, and I enjoy that excitement and gratitude I experience.

Of course this is from my prospective as I perceive things I been learning from B.T. and I have such a long way to go.  :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 03:03:32 AM by Rick »

Nelson

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 06:22:21 AM »

Year rick,I also sumtyms feel like I want to study and find more stuff mostly in revelations but the desire will disappear nd I'll become lazy or my brain gets tired-after 5min of reading(lol).I also reflect more aswell.I think whatever is in scripture that helps me live a righteous life is enough study.For intance, its nyc to knw where elijah went?The history of israel?History of the bible and many more but I think its more important to tell right from wrong.I've met ppl with knowledge only to find that they can't tell between right and wrong.

I'd also say it depends what ur goal or dream is.If u wana be a teacher then its imperative to do much study.But then again what can we teach that ray hasn't covered?I wanted to be a teacher once until I ran into ray's writings and I thought:"wow..I think its best I leave this to the pros".

Remember that knowledge will pass away and prophecies will cease at some point but love(doing the right thing) is greater than deep deep deep knowledge.I think we are getting to point in life were its extremely difficult to understand prophecies nd other knowledge.Then again paul already predicted it in 1 Corinthians 13.
1 Corinthians 13:8-Love neva fails.But where there are prophecies,they will cease,where there are tongues,they will be stilled,where there is knowledge,it will pass way.

So how much is enough?I'd say learn to do the right.knowing prophecies and other stuff is just a bonus nd nyc to know nothin more-thats my perspective.

Nelson

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 08:25:40 AM »

Proverbs 23:4-Do not wear yourself out to get rich;have the wisdom to show restraint.

I think this verse is related to this thread.guess this is balance again.
U knw,personally I think ALL that Ray has written abt is MORE than enough,others mite think nah I want more.-"Show sum restraint."

rick

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 11:06:23 AM »

Hi Nelson.

You bring out some great points, I used to love going to church at one time, going to church was awesome to me , you might say I was a fanatic.

I never could back in those days understand how within five minutes after leaving church I was actually sinning ........the opposite sex is you know what I mean.

I always felt condemned and when I would mention my lustful ways to a fellow church member I found some were kind and considerate in explaining how not to and others I wished I never mention it, I guess those where the most holy ones of us all. 

Each group of believers with all their knowledge could not help me to overcome my issue, I even had one believer tell me keep going to church , it’s fireproof insurance.

I’ve learned many things here at B.T., wonderful things like who God is what God is doing and who I am and why I do the things I do.

I can study the scriptures all day but unless God opens them up to me I study in vain. I can read about the gospel but I’ll never understand anything at all about the gospel within the gospel.

There was a time I believed in the sovereignty of me not God because I thought I had free will and choice and because I believed this my salvation was up to me. If I could just somehow learn to do what is right I would be saved but I had or have this one little problem that will keep me out of heaven unless I can conquer this problem on my own.

I don’t feel I need to read the scriptures to know what is right and what is wrong, I think most of us know right from wrong. It’s in the performance and that is where I fail most miserably.

Rom 7:19  Instead of doing what I know is right, I do wrong.

Rom 7:20  And so, if I don't do what I know is right, I am no longer the one doing these evil things. The sin that lives in me is what does them.

Rom 7:21  The Law has shown me that something in me keeps me from doing what I know is right.
Rom 7:22  With my whole heart I agree with the Law of God.

Rom 7:23  But in every part of me I discover something fighting against my mind, and it makes me a prisoner of sin that controls everything I do.

Rom 7:24  What a miserable person I am. Who will rescue me from this body that is doomed to die?
Rom 7:25  Thank God! Jesus Christ will rescue me. So with my mind I serve the Law of God, although my selfish desires make me serve the law of sin.

The only hell I know of today is the hell Christians put me through with their false doctrine.  :)

jojoross

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 09:03:11 PM »

Thanks Nelson and Rick for your comments!  Truly helps ALOT. 

Gods Peace,
JoJo
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.