bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: the fashion of this world...  (Read 4437 times)

acomplishedartis

the fashion of this world...
« on: July 23, 2014, 05:44:07 PM »

I have a couple questions...    (looking for specs)

But this I say, brethren, the time is short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none;

In which way(s)?

And they that weep, as though they wept not;

In which way(s)?

and they that rejoice, as though they rejoiced not;

In which way(s)?

and they that buy, as though they possessed not [not constantly holding on to it (JM-NT); as not retaining (CLV)];

In which way(s)?

And they that use this world, as not abusing it:[as though they had no dealings with it (ESV); as not using it up (CLV); not using it to the full (WNT)]

In which way(s)?

for the fashion of this world passeth away.

(1Co 7:29-31 KJV)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 05:48:52 PM by Moises G. »

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: the fashion of this world...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 06:32:04 PM »

Paul is preaching the same message Jesus preached.

I don't know that I can answer specifically the questions you had, but here's my take on it as an overview:

Paul had been writing about how to live a wise and mature life as a disciple of Christ in various circumstances.  I personally 'read' a not-insignificant struggle in covering every question that every individual might have in every possible life-circumstance.  He closes his 'sermon' with the words you quoted.  There will come a day, I think, when we have to think and act without regard to where we 'are' in our lives.  If we are to be His disciples, it isn't about following rules but about following Him from WHEREVER we find ourselves.  And one day, all of these 'fashions of the world' WILL pass away.  What are we going to do then?

Meh...you didn't ask for a sermon, but sometimes I just can't help myself.   :P
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Duane

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 06:51:05 PM »

Moises,
I believe that Paul is saying that there will come a time when all that we hold dear will no longer matter-
as "all things will become new".

Kat

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 07:50:30 PM »

Hi Moises,

This is the New Living Translation, it helps showing where Paul and why he was saying what he did.

1Co 7:23  God paid a high price for you, so don’t be enslaved by the world.
v. 24  Each of you, dear brothers and sisters, should remain as you were when God first called you.
v. 25  Now regarding your question about the young women who are not yet married. I do not have a command from the Lord for them. But the Lord in his mercy has given me wisdom that can be trusted, and I will share it with you.
v. 26  Because of the present crisis, I think it is best to remain as you are.
v. 27  If you have a wife, do not seek to end the marriage. If you do not have a wife, do not seek to get married.
v. 28  But if you do get married, it is not a sin. And if a young woman gets married, it is not a sin. However, those who get married at this time will have troubles, and I am trying to spare you those problems.
v. 29  But let me say this, dear brothers and sisters: The time that remains is very short. So from now on, those with wives should not focus only on their marriage.
v. 30  Those who weep or who rejoice or who buy things should not be absorbed by their weeping or their joy or their possessions.
v. 31  Those who use the things of the world should not become attached to them. For this world as we know it will soon pass away.
v. 32  I want you to be free from the concerns of this life. An unmarried man can spend his time doing the Lord’s work and thinking how to please him.
v. 33  But a married man has to think about his earthly responsibilities and how to please his wife.
v. 34  His interests are divided. In the same way, a woman who is no longer married or has never been married can be devoted to the Lord and holy in body and in spirit. But a married woman has to think about her earthly responsibilities and how to please her husband.
v. 35  I am saying this for your benefit, not to place restrictions on you. I want you to do whatever will help you serve the Lord best, with as few distractions as possible.

So Paul was stating this about when God calls a believer (whom He has endowed with His Holy Spirit) to come out of the world and put him first and foremost in their lives. I think he actually thought that the time was very short, because he believed Jesus was to return to earth soon. But regardless if Jesus returned when they were still alive (or even if while we are still alive), the time is short because our lifetime is short. So Paul was just stating whatever time you have remain in this life, he felt should be devoted to seeking/serving God, not in other pursuits.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

acomplishedartis

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 12:20:17 AM »

Thanks everyone for your responses... :)

Kat, that traslation puts it so clear. wow.

indianabob

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 02:18:46 AM »

Thanks Kat for the added information.

In my view it is apparent that the disciples thought that the prophesies of Matthew 24 would come in their life time and the Lord would soon return to claim his earthly Kingdom and set up a government to rule the whole world.

Indiana Bob

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 04:52:53 PM »

So... how do we juggle being a father, a lover, a student, and devotion to Christ???

I'm struggling with this big time, I have so much on my plate right now but I would rather lose it all and gain Christ than ever lose Him.

Edit: I wanted to add... easier said than done. I hope to never have to swallow those words, at least not with all things, because I almost lost my baby girl and her mother and still may and it has been a frightening and painful reminder of how everything can change in an instance. It is indeed God who directs our footsteps, our lives are not our own, I understand this but it really hits home the difference between saying these things and actually experiencing them. What a world of difference between knowing and experiencing. wow. I remember the other night how I was thinking to myself; "look at all the times you've recited these words Alex with complete faith, devotion, and yet with total ignorance to just how much it will hurt when its you whose having to swallow them."
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 05:09:02 PM by lilitalienboi16 »
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

cheekie3

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 05:51:17 AM »

Alex -

When Our Father puts us through His Purifying consuming Fire - He does not allow any short cuts - and the pain and suffering is severe.

Ultimately, through much tribulation in His consuming Fire - we are purified.

George.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 05:55:57 AM by cheekie3 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.