bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Judges 11:29-40  (Read 4756 times)

John9362

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Judges 11:29-40
« on: August 01, 2014, 01:02:17 AM »

Hi guys,

Really need your help !

Judges 11:29-40 - If you give me victory over the Ammonites, I will give to the lord the first thing coming out of my house to greet me when I return in triumph. I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering."

Did Jephthah really sacrifice his daughter as a burnt offering."

*** I personally don't think so, but I don't understand the passage***

cheekie3

Re: Judges 11:29-40
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 04:51:52 AM »

John9362 -

I believe his daughter was a sacrifice to The One True God; and therefore could not marry and have a family.

I do not believe his daughter was killed as women visited her four days each year (verse 40).

I believe the key is what the spiritual meaning is for a burnt offering.

George.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 04:16:39 PM by cheekie3 »

Extol

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 09:59:16 AM »

I agree with George on this one. The emphasis on the daughter's virginity implies that she continued living---wouldn't it be obvious "she knew no man" had she been put to death?

36 “My father,” she replied, “you have given your word to the Lord. Do to me just as you promised, now that the Lord has avenged you of your enemies, the Ammonites. 37 But grant me this one request,” she said. “Give me two months to roam the hills and weep with my friends, because I will never marry.”

38 “You may go,” he said. And he let her go for two months. She and her friends went into the hills and wept because she would never marry. 39 After the two months, she returned to her father, and he did to her as he had vowed. And she was a virgin

Also, it does not say that Jephthah killed her....simply that he fulfilled the vow.

John9362

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 10:12:36 AM »

Hi Extol,

"and he did to her as he had vowed. And she was a virgin"

Does this mean she was a burned sacrifice once she had returned after being away for 2 months (as he did to her as he vowed) ???   This is my stumbling block   :(

Kat

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 10:29:39 AM »

Hi John,

I checking through some translations, here are a few to consider.

Jdg 11:31  then shall it be, that, whosoever cometh forth out of the doors of my house, to meet me, when I return successful, from the sons of Ammon, shall belong unto Yahweh, and I will offer him up, as an ascending-sacrifice.  (Rotherham)

Jdg 11:39 and it comes to pass at the end of two months that she turns back unto her father, and he does to her his vow which he has vowed, and she knew not a man; and it is a statute in Israel.
v. 40 from time to time the daughters of Israel go to talk to the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite, four days in a year. (CLV)

What is lost in translation can obviously make a big difference. Maybe these translations show it is not as cut and dry as the others make it out to be. It's really hard to believe that it was meant as a human sacrifices, which God makes well known as an abomination in His sight and is prohibited in OT law, with a penalty of death (Lev 18:21; Lev 20:2-5; Deu 12:31; Deu 18:10). So maybe the kind of "offering" was determined by what came from his house first?

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Rene

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 12:00:17 PM »

Jdg 11:31  then shall it be, that, whosoever cometh forth out of the doors of my house, to meet me, when I return successful, from the sons of Ammon, shall belong unto Yahweh, and I will offer him up, as an ascending-sacrifice.  (Rotherham)

This bible story, and the comments made, remind me of a scripture found in Romans 12:1-2:

"I beseech you therefore brethren, through the compassions of God, to present your bodies a living, holy sacrifice unto God acceptable,—your rational divine service, And be not configuring yourselves unto this age, but be transforming yourselves by the renewing of your mind, to the end ye may be proving what is the thing willed by God—the good and acceptable and perfect. (Rotherham)

Paul said that our bodies should be a "living" holy sacrifice to God.  It is part of our "divine service" to Him.  What does that mean to us?  How do we present ourselves in this way?  It is something I think about often as I continue in this spiritual journey.  I believe it has everything to do with how we conduct ourselves in this world.

René

John9362

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 09:21:09 PM »

I'd like to thank you all for your posts   :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.