bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Correcting the KJV  (Read 4779 times)

robby.morales

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Correcting the KJV
« on: August 12, 2014, 09:20:48 PM »

Dear BTW Family:

In a number of Ray's audio messages he mentions the KJV as being a "pretty good" translation that just needs a few words corrected. I believe another time he mentioned an exact number of (78?) places that need correcting and THEN it's a great translation....

My question:

Is there a listing of the references that need correcting for the KJV? I would like to make notes in my KJV bible. 

As always, thank you,

Robby

Kat

Re: Correcting the KJV
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 11:47:07 PM »

Hi Robby, no there was never a list of the errors and corrections for the KJV. Ray mentioned these errors in many places throughout his articles.

I find it very helpful to refer to a literal translation (Concordant, Young's, Rotherham) and you can see how those use a more accurate wording, for words like hell and forever.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

robby.morales

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 02:15:02 AM »

Thank you Kat. You are very kind to respond. :-) I have the translations you mentioned on order.

Thanks again,

Robby

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 04:10:19 PM »

There is also a list of "spurious" passages which compare the earliest Greek texts with later translations, including the KJV.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6638.0.html

Don't take these as 'the gospel'.  It is simply a list of passages that don't match the earliest known manuscripts.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

robby.morales

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 12:00:35 AM »

Hi Dave:

Thank you. I just received my concordant nt today. :-) can you recommend any particular LIV bible?? There are so many!

Thanks again,

Robby

robby.morales

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 12:03:50 AM »

Apologies. That last part was auto corrected.  I meant KJV

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 12:20:58 AM »

Robby, there are several current revisions of the King James translation.  Take your pick.  On esword, for 'literal' versions I currently have the LITV and Young's Literal Translation (YLT).  I used to have others, but I had to re-install esword with my new computer, and so far I have neither located or downloaded some of the other ones Kat mentioned.

"Literal" is something of a mis-statement if taken 'literally'.    ;D  All it means, I think, is that it is not a translation of 'phrases' or concepts, but of words.  But any 'direct' word-for-word translation wouldn't be understandable in English.

The Concordant Literal Version goes a step further in (at least claiming to be) translating the same Hebrew or Greek words into the same English words.  However, they don't always do that, I've learned.

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Joel

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 02:57:48 AM »

Hi Robby, Check out the Thomas Nelson, center column reference, KJV.
I recommend it, and I believe Ray also said he had one and liked it too.
I have had mine since the 80's and use it regularly.

Joel

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 03:45:34 AM »

And don't forget ever to "use" the Twelve Truths to understanding His Word.

http://bible-truths.com/twelve.htm

robby.morales

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 12:40:19 AM »

Brothers Joel and Dave:

It is important you both know how much I cherish your imput. My wife and I are studying the scriptures together for the first time in our marriage ( we celebrate 17 years this month). Your encouragement and that of sister Kat always boosts our eagerness to keep pressing into the Truth. Thank you and God be with you.

Robby

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 23 queries.