bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any runners?  (Read 5184 times)

lareli

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Any runners?
« on: August 26, 2014, 04:03:57 PM »

Are there any long distance runners on here? I started running a few months ago with the goal of running a marathon in mind.. I need some advice in regards to sore knees and ankles..
I’m just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

lareli

Re: Any runners?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 12:00:49 AM »

Alright.. How about anyone who has found certain foods or supplements to be helpful for joint pain?

My knees and ankle start really aching once I run past a certain point, usually around mile 6.. My muscles, energy and cardio feel fine it's just my joints I think.

indianabob

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 01:01:43 AM »

Hi Largeli,
Pain is God's warning system. You may be pushing to fast or too hard for the equipment that you were given. For example maybe you could run only five miles but more often. Stop pushing through the pain until you learn what your limits are. This will become even more important as you age.
Or maybe it's that you are as old as I am and it's arm chair time. (smile)  ::)

Indiana Bob

John9362

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 01:37:10 AM »

Food supplements & good health, try this, I love it !!
http://www.mercola.com

theophilus

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 09:55:03 AM »

Running is bad for your joints. Do some research on this. Try non-impact exercises. But if your goal is a marathon...there's a price to be paid, and there are no coupons to redeem! Just saying...

Best exercise to increase functional ability is proper strength training with volume and frequency carefully regulated.

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »

Research says many things. I just read one and it said running is good as it promotes cartilage thickening. I do a bit of running but other exercises to and run a lot on the grass which I find is easier for me. If I get sore then I walk. It's not worth pushing yourself. About 10 years a go I had problems with pain in my knees and the doctor said I had Arthritis and nothing I could be done. I just prayed and it came right. Sometimes I get a bit of pain but just take it easy and stop if I have too. I play tennis too which can be hard on the joints but then that is where other exercises and activities help. I do gardening and that helps as well. You need to build strength gradually. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth from my experiences.

Rhys
🤫

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 05:41:31 PM »

Are there any long distance runners on here? I started running a few months ago with the goal of running a marathon in mind.. I need some advice in regards to sore knees and ankles..

Yes I run. By the grace of God, when I can find time (which I try and make three times a week) I run at the gym 2-4 miles in around 16-28minutes.

Unfortunately, I don't use any knee or ankle equipment, I just choose to run on the treadmill which is softer on the joints than the outside concrete pavements.
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

rumpelstiltskin

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 01:13:31 AM »

Maybe another thing u could  try is get yourself a mountain bike. I have a lot of trouble walking and know its much less impact. just dont b an idiot like me brake u back - stick to moderate trails. anyway might b worth a try  :)
If you want to know what God thinks of money,just look at the people he gave it to
Dorothy Parker

lareli

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 03:12:25 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys,

Ya I'm definitely gonna keep the runs to around 5 miles or so until I feel stronger. I ran 10 miles last weekend and just pushed through the pain but by the time I finished my knees were past aching and were almost just numb.

Running a marathon is the goal because I know it's possible and I know it going to take a great deal of pushing to new levels mentally... But I want to cross the finish line healthy and in one piece so I think for now patience is the first mental hurdle I must deal with.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 01:45:04 AM »

Glucosamine Chondroitin.  I don't know anything about side-effects.  Do your own research.  I take it only when I'm having a hard time, usually just for 1-3 days.  I'm not a runner, but I work hard...and I'm old. 
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 01:52:58 AM »

...and I'm old.

Ain't that the truth  ;D
🤫

theophilus

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 07:32:39 AM »

http://www.totalityofbeing.com/FramelessPages/Articles/IncreasingAnabolism.htm

"A word is needed here about sport / exercise based inflammation.  Most of us think of inflammation in terms of joints and muscles.  Until the late 1990's.  It was then that a large number of "30 and 40 something’s", who were hard charging business types and hard charging exercise fanatics, dropped stone cold dead from dry strokes or heart attacks.  They did not have a lick of arterial plaque; they all had wonderful cholesterol readings, all worked out and ran several times per week.  By the medical standards of the early 90's these men were as strong and fit as racehorses and would live forever.  But they didn't.  Turns out that the stress of business and the stress of exercise both create inflammation not so much in the joints but in the blood vessels and heart.  Inflammation that shut down the blood vessels as surely or better than arterial plaque could.   Today’s understanding of heart and vascular disease holds inflammation to be the #1 cause of strokes and heart attacks as well as being the causative precursor to such things as diabetes, Alzheimers and cancer!"

lareli

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 02:59:51 PM »

I know this guy from when I was in boot camp.. He's about 34-35 years old and still in the corps. Guy has competed in five ironmans.. 5 of them.

Ironman is 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, followed by a full marathon 26.2 miles.

It's amazing to me what the human body is capable of doing. It's even more amazing to me how much power the human mind has to push the body to such feats.

I think of that guy Aron Ralston who they made a movie about.. Got his arm pinched between a boulder and a canyon wall. Had to cut his own arm off in order to survive. The minds will to survive and keep living was incredible in this circumstance.

I have no desire to compete in an ironman or cut my arm off but I do desire to push my mind and body through a certain amount of pain to achieve a goal. Running requires the least amount of special equipment, skill or money... Plus I read an article a few months ago about a 91 year old lady who ran a marathon in record time for her division while undergoing skin cancer treatment in the weeks leading up to the race.. After reading that I asked myself 'what's your excuse?'
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 22 queries.