bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "salted with fire" - spurious?  (Read 5314 times)

Farlsborough

"salted with fire" - spurious?
« on: October 23, 2014, 12:00:35 PM »

Hi folks,
I know that Ray (and quite a few on here) are keen on the whole "salted with fire" metaphor. But Ray also seems to hold a lot of truck with Tischendorf's highlighting of spurious passages, and in the lists I've seen, Mark 9:49 is one of them.

Does anywhere else refer to this? Or is this beloved verse  of BT destined for Gehenna fire itself...?

lilitalienboi16

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

John from Kentucky

Re: "salted with fire" - spurious?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 04:18:12 PM »

Hi folks,
I know that Ray (and quite a few on here) are keen on the whole "salted with fire" metaphor. But Ray also seems to hold a lot of truck with Tischendorf's highlighting of spurious passages, and in the lists I've seen, Mark 9:49 is one of them.

Does anywhere else refer to this? Or is this beloved verse  of BT destined for Gehenna fire itself...?

I detect a snarky, little attitude problem.  There are no beloved verses of BT.  We respect the Scriptures.  Something is either in the Scriptures, or not.  There are many metaphors throughout the Scriptures referring to the symbolic, spiritual meaning of salt and fire.  In the mouth of two or three witnesses let every word be established.

As for Tischendorf and his discovery of the Sinaiticus manuscript; that is only one manuscript.  There are well over 5,000 Greek manuscripts of the New Testament.  The Scriptures say, "In the multitude of counselors there is safety".

Kat

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 12:12:32 PM »

Hi Farsborough,

Mark 9:49  For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt.
v. 50  Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another.

The marked out part is what is spurious. It doesn't really seem to make much of a difference in what is being stated there. Here is a place where Ray uses this verse and you will note he does not even use that part of verse 49.

http://bible-truths.com/lake3.html ----------------

Such damnable character flaws of the mind and spirit are going to be burned out of us all! God will either BURN OUT these filthy impurities from our hearts and minds NOW, or He will BURN THEM OUT IN THE LAKE OF FIRE, but either way, make no mistake about it, THESE THINGS ARE COMING OUT!!!

JOHN THE BAPTIST: John the Baptist said that Jesus would be baptizing repentant believers with fire.

"I indeed baptize you with water unto REPENTANCE: but He that comes after me is mightier than I, Whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: He shall baptize you with the Holy Spirit, AND WITH FIRE" (Matt. 3:11).

JESUS CHRIST:

"For EVERY ONE [sinner and saint] shall be salted with FIRE" (Mark 9:49).

APOSTLE PETER:

"That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perishes, though it  [your faith] be TRIED IN THE FIRE, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ" (I Pet. 1:7).

APOSTLE PAUL:

"Every man’s work  [including believers] shall be made manifest; for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed BY FIRE, and the FIRE shall try every man’s work of what sort it is" (I Cor. 3:13).

With such noble and august witnesses, does anyone deny that the repentant, converted, dedicated, believing Christian will escape being "revealed," tried," "salted," and "baptized" by FIRE? These Scriptures are undeniable! Whatever this "fire" is, it is going to be used ON EVERYONE. These four Scriptures have the believer specifically in view, but it says and includes "EVERYONE shall be salted with FIRE," and "EVERY MAN’S WORK ... shall be revealed by FIRE."
--------------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Farlsborough

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 09:29:48 PM »

Thanks Kat, that's really helpful.

And John, I'm afraid you detect entirely incorrectly. I'll admit "tongue-in-cheek" style humour doesn't translate well over the internet, but as a forum member (albeit new) I count myself within the group I was referring to and was simply pointing out that it is a verse that crops up a lot. I'm well aware the Scriptures are respected here, but when a verse that get's mentioned eventually in almost every thread is potentially on a list of spurious passages, I think raising it as a question is entirely justifiable. Peace  8)

John from Kentucky

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 09:54:50 PM »

Thanks Kat, that's really helpful.

And John, I'm afraid you detect entirely incorrectly. I'll admit "tongue-in-cheek" style humour doesn't translate well over the internet, but as a forum member (albeit new) I count myself within the group I was referring to and was simply pointing out that it is a verse that crops up a lot. I'm well aware the Scriptures are respected here, but when a verse that get's mentioned eventually in almost every thread is potentially on a list of spurious passages, I think raising it as a question is entirely justifiable. Peace  8)

O.K.  I can relate to that.  I am a patron of tongue-in-cheek and sarcastic humor.   :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 19 queries.