bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PRUDENT/WISE AS SERPENTS  (Read 3619 times)

theophilus

PRUDENT/WISE AS SERPENTS
« on: November 11, 2014, 05:23:29 PM »

Hello BT brothers and sisters, I have a question regarding the following verse:

Matt 10:16 Lo! I, send you forth as sheep amidst wolves; become ye therefore––prudent, as serpents, and simple, as doves.

What did Jesus mean by "prudent as serpents"? Satan is the Old Serpent, isn't he? So, what's the meaning of this phrase?  ???

John from Kentucky

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: PRUDENT/WISE AS SERPENTS
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 09:56:40 PM »

"Don't be stupid."  That is what Jesus is saying.

Many religious people think it is righteous to be fat, dumb, and ignorant.  They talk about how humble and loving they are.  They are easily deceived because they are spiritual airheads.

The Scriptures tell us to grow in grace and knowledge.

The Scriptures are full of teachings on how to be wise and sidestep problems before they occur.  The Book of Proverbs is a good source of information on wisdom although wisdom is spread throughout the Scriptures.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 12:07:29 PM by Dave in Tenn »

Ian 155

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 12:06:19 PM »

Reading the scriptures before and after,will give you more perspective -

I assume just as a sheep is gullible a snake is the opposite - full of guile I think a more appropriate word is subtle - no rash choices no threats yet having the ability to  handle a situation in a cool calm manner without frills and attention seeking . some characteristics of a snake - can easily blend in, perceives movement thru vibrations, will generally steer clear of danger and is mostly silent.

A Dove symbolises Peace and purity, it was also a "poor mans" sacrifice to God ,they do not wander to far from home and will generally return to their abode.

(they are also always alert to bigger birds of Prey}

Perhaps a combination of both is how we are to behave/act in this present world...

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 01:26:23 PM »

Sometimes a comma makes a difference:

(Rotherham) Lo! I, send you forth as sheep amidst wolves; become ye therefore—prudent, as serpents, and simple, as doves.

theophilus

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 02:51:30 PM »

Thank you for your input guys. Much appreciated!  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.