bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The One Whom Jesus Loved  (Read 3471 times)

HoneyLamb56

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
The One Whom Jesus Loved
« on: December 11, 2014, 09:03:20 AM »

John 21:20
Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. (This was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and had said, "Lord, who is going to betray you?") 

Has there been discussion on this topic?  What is the significance? i.e. what was so special about this disciple (who was this disciple?) as I would think Jesus loved all of them equally and I always thought it was Peter who was special.

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: The One Whom Jesus Loved
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 06:35:27 PM »

This "love" is 'agapao'.  There is plenty from Ray on this sound biblical word.

John is referring to himself.  It couldn't have been Peter, because it was Peter who saw "...the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee?"

Worth remembering in this context that, although we give Peter hell for denying the Lord--ALL the disciples left him.  John, many years later, surely remembered this and was glad for the agapao love of God towards him.

There is no reason to think that Jesus did not 'agapao' all his disciples "equally"--at least not from this verse.  He 'agapaoed' the whole world.  In fact, it was John just 17 chapters earlier that wrote John 3:16.  ;)  But there is significance to the fact that John recognized this and clung to this 'faith' in being loved. 

"Herein is love--not that we loved God, but that He loved us..." 
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.