bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Luke 11:5-8  (Read 4076 times)

dave

Luke 11:5-8
« on: December 19, 2014, 08:19:01 PM »

Could someone give me some insight for understanding of this parable following the teaching of the Lord’s prayer? Thanks
Luk 11:5 And He said to them, "Who of you will be having a friend and will be going to him at midnight and may be saying to him, 'Friend, let me use three cakes of bread,
Luk 11:6 since, in fact, a friend of mine came along out of the road to me, and I have nothing that I should be placing before him';"
Luk 11:7 and he, inside, answering, may be saying, Do not afford me weariness; already the door is locked, and my little children with me are in bed; I can not rise to give to you'? "
Luk 11:8 I am saying to you, even if he will not rise to give to him because of his being his friend, surely because of his pestering, being roused, he will be giving him whatever he needs."

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Luke 11:5-8
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 09:01:43 PM »

Luk 11:5  And he said to them, Who among you shall have a friend, and shall go to him at midnight and say to him, Friend, let me have three loaves,
Luk 11:6  since a friend of mine on a journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him;
Luk 11:7  and he within answering should say, Do not disturb me; the door is already shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise up to give it thee?
This is maybe a clearer translation and with a pertinent passage included.

Luk 11:5  And he said to them, Who among you shall have a friend, and shall go to him at midnight and say to him, Friend, let me have three loaves,
Luk 11:6  since a friend of mine on a journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him;
Luk 11:7  and he within answering should say, Do not disturb me; the door is already shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise up to give it thee?
Luk 11:8  --I say to you, Although he will not get up and give them to him because he is his friend, because of his shamelessness, at any rate, he will rise and give him as many as he wants.
Luk 11:9  And *I* say to you, Ask, and it shall be given to you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you.
Luk 11:10  For every one that asks receives; and he that seeks finds; and to him that knocks it will be opened.
Luk 11:11  But of whom of you that is a father shall a son ask bread, and the father shall give him a stone? or also a fish, and instead of a fish shall give him a serpent?
Luk 11:12  or if also he shall ask an egg, shall give him a scorpion?
Luk 11:13  If therefore *ye*, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much rather shall the Father who is of heaven give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

I can tell you what I think it SAYS.

Who of you has a friend who might do this?  Is this the way you would answer him?  A friend?  Really?  Even if it were the way you'd answer him, you'd still get up and give him what he asks if he kept on pestering you.

But if you were a father?  If your son asked for a good gift, would you give him a bad one?

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Gina

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 11:02:07 PM »

Hi,

Luk 11:13  If therefore *ye*, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much rather shall the Father who is of heaven give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

The emphasis in this parable is on the Father giving the Holy Spirit to them that persistently ask Him and seek after Him and His Kingdom. 

Luke 18

1 And he told them a parable to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart.
2 He said, “In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor respected man.
3 And there was a widow in that city who kept coming to him and saying, ‘Give me justice against my adversary.’
4 For a while he refused, but afterward he said to himself, ‘Though I neither fear God nor respect man,
5 yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will give her justice, so that she will not beat me down by her continual coming.’”
6 And the Lord said, “Hear what the unrighteous judge says.
7 And will not God give justice to his elect, who cry to him day and night?  Will he delay long over them?
8 I tell you, he will give justice to them speedily.  Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?”

In this parable, the emphasis is on His elect whom the Father gives justice who seek after him day and night (persistent in prayer). 

And, Ray pointed out that Jesus said, "If you don't understand this parable, how will you understand all the parables?"  And Ray explained that it's because they are all about the same thing.

Reference this link:  http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,12792.msg112182.html#msg112182

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 11:17:59 PM by Gina »

lderr

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 11:19:18 AM »

"pray without ceasing" I Thess. 5:17

dave

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 02:41:55 AM »

Thank you all for your response.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.