bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Was Timothy a young man?  (Read 10507 times)

lilitalienboi16

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Was Timothy a young man?
« on: February 16, 2015, 03:42:11 PM »

I ask this because in writting to him, paul mentions this:

2 Timothy 3:22 "Flee also youthful lusts, but follow righteousness, faith, love, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart."

He also calls timothy is his dearly beloved son.

2 Timothy 1:2 "To Timothy, my dearly beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace from God the father and Christ Jesus our Lord."

Thanks!

Alex
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 03:49:06 PM by lilitalienboi16 »
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

lilitalienboi16

Re: Was Timothy a young man?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 04:51:08 PM »

1 Timothy 4: 12 "Let no man despise thy youth, but be though an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity."

Okay, carry on, I've convinced myself! Timothy was a young man! Yey! :D Love that! I feel very close to Timothy now :D

1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 09:14:35 PM »

I feel the same way  ;D

Rhys
🤫

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 09:17:48 PM »

I feel the same way  ;D

Rhys

Teehee Rhys, <3 you!

thewatchman

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 09:45:17 PM »

He wasn't as young as you. Paul was over 60 when he wrote that and Timothy over 40. Because of the the cultural elder issues where Timothy was teaching men older than him, Paul was encouraging Timothy to not defer to the older men in age as he was the true elder in the spirit.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 09:53:34 PM »

He wasn't as young as you. Paul was over 60 when he wrote that and Timothy over 40. Because of the the cultural elder issues where Timothy was teaching men older than him, Paul was encouraging Timothy to not defer to the older men in age as he was the true elder in the spirit.

Are you sure that he was somewhere around forty? I thought the way paul encouraged him to "flee youthful lust" that he was at least in his twenties. Also talking to him as his own son made me believe timothy could be around this age. Certainly not forty though? I suppose I could be wrong. I never looked into this.

My own earthly father is 62 right now.

rick

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »

Hi Alex,

Its possible Timothy could be a middle age man expressing his attraction towards women causing Paul to say flee also your youthful lust .

I do h.v.a.c. for a living and once I was at a customers home and she the customer said to me her kids won’t let her go down stairs into the basement where the boiler is, she the customer was 93 years of age, her kids would of been at least 70 years of age.

If she had of said to me her dearly beloved son is on his way over, her son would be an old man so we cant say son or daughter means youth.

Today Timothy would be about 2,000 years old,  Just another perspective Alex.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 11:03:13 PM »

With that last thought in mind, it would have made no difference if he were 14 or 40. 
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Kat

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 11:11:39 PM »

I found this.

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,896.0.html -------

Dear Mr. Smith,
I was just curious. How old do you think the disciples were when they were following Jesus? I've heard that they were young men, even teenagers. (Peter being the oldest, because he was the only one mentioned that paid the temple tax)

Rachel

Dear Rachel:
I would suppose that they were all at least 30 years of age. Jesus was 30 years of age, and anyone serving in the Tabernacle in Israel had to be at least 30 years of age, as was Joseph 30 years of age when he began witnessing to Pharaoh.  Paul  was surely in his forties when he was called, seeing that after 25 years of ministry, he refers to himself as "paul the aged." Paul was no "doctor of the law" in his teens, that's for sure, neither would he be considered "aged" at age 18 plus 25 = 43/

God be with you,
Ray

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 11:36:17 PM »

I found this.

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,896.0.html -------

Dear Mr. Smith,
I was just curious. How old do you think the disciples were when they were following Jesus? I've heard that they were young men, even teenagers. (Peter being the oldest, because he was the only one mentioned that paid the temple tax)

Rachel

Dear Rachel:
I would suppose that they were all at least 30 years of age. Jesus was 30 years of age, and anyone serving in the Tabernacle in Israel had to be at least 30 years of age, as was Joseph 30 years of age when he began witnessing to Pharaoh.  Paul  was surely in his forties when he was called, seeing that after 25 years of ministry, he refers to himself as "paul the aged." Paul was no "doctor of the law" in his teens, that's for sure, neither would he be considered "aged" at age 18 plus 25 = 43/

God be with you,
Ray

Interesting Kat, thank you!

Dave I agree with what you said in regards to what thewatchman posted.

I guess it was just a little side curiosity of mine as I was reading what Paul was writing to timothy. Perhaps we will never know with certainty but if there is no certainty in the matter then I don't think it hurts to think of him as having been a younger man. It gives me encouragement :)

God bless,
Alex

John from Kentucky

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 03:14:14 PM »

Alex,

Jesus died in, or near, 30 A.D.  Paul's ministry started a little after that.

Paul died around the mid 60's A.D.

So Paul's ministry covered about 25 to 30 years.

Timothy was a young man when Paul started their association.  But of course Timothy aged over the period of Paul's ministry.

As previously mentioned, Paul was always the older man as they worked together.  So Paul would consider Timothy as a young man.  Like I consider my 35 year old son young, and will consider him young whatever his age.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 05:28:16 PM »

Alex,

Timothy was a young man when Paul started their association.  But of course Timothy aged over the period of Paul's ministry.

As previously mentioned, Paul was always the older man as they worked together.  So Paul would consider Timothy as a young man.  Like I consider my 35 year old son young, and will consider him young whatever his age.

Yea, that makes sense to me. Thanks John!

Joel

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 09:40:48 PM »

I can agree with what Kat posted in Ray's email, and also with John's analogy.
Both seem to make sense to me.

Joel

acomplishedartis

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 01:53:13 AM »

And what is the proof of that?

I have always thought of Timothy as a Young man... 

Man, I am almost 30!, Soon I will be no young anymore... By then I will have SO many stories to tell, that I plan to don't tell any at all, ha.

Right now I am reading Timothy again, --slowly.

indianabob

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 12:47:40 PM »

John,

I've always been curious about the time frame of Paul's ministry. It would seem that he spent quite some time persecuting Jesus' followers and several years in Turkey after his conversion on the road to Damascus and his three years in the Arabian dessert gaining an understanding of Jesus' mission for him. All the while the 12 apostles were functioning around the Temple and with the diaspora, if that is the correct word.

Do we have available an accurate schedule of events from 30 a.d. to 70 a.d. regarding the activities of the apostles? It would make our study more relevant if available.

Thanks, Indiana Bob

Alex,

Kat

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 03:24:56 PM »

I've always been curious about the time frame of Paul's ministry.

Hi Bob, I thought I would search to see if I could find a timeline for Paul's life. Found it at Blueletter Bible and put it on 'Off Topic' board.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,16064.msg144346.html#msg144346

mercy, peace and love
Kat

John from Kentucky

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 03:31:20 PM »

Hi I-Bob,

The New Testament, specifically the Book of Acts, is the only accurate history of the Church and the Apostles that I know of.

There are snippets of information here and there, but no truly reliable historical sources.  When we find early church histories in the 2nd century A.D., we find customs different from the practices of the Apostles.

In the New Testament, we see where all of the churches in the province of Asia Minor (modern day Turkey) had rejected Paul, and that area had been the center of Paul's work.  We see where Peter was having problems with church members rejecting his teachings and authority.  We also have a Scripture showing that the Apostle John was rejected by a church leader.

The Book of Acts was written by Luke, who was a close associate of Paul, and especially the later chapters of that Book focus on the Apostle Paul up to the time of his imprisonment at Rome.

Paul in Galatians 1:17 through Galatians 2:1 covers briefly his early years.

Apparently Paul and Peter were executed by the Emperor Nero in Rome sometime in the early to mid 60's A.D.  John lived on until the end of the 1st century A.D., a very old man, seeing to the completion and publishing of the New Testament.  At the end, he is associated with the City of Ephesus in Asia Minor.

Like I said, not much true history to go on outside the New Testament.

Take care,

John

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 03:59:48 PM »

Hi I-Bob,

The New Testament, specifically the Book of Acts, is the only accurate history of the Church and the Apostles that I know of.

There are snippets of information here and there, but no truly reliable historical sources.  When we find early church histories in the 2nd century A.D., we find customs different from the practices of the Apostles.

In the New Testament, we see where all of the churches in the province of Asia Minor (modern day Turkey) had rejected Paul, and that area had been the center of Paul's work.  We see where Peter was having problems with church members rejecting his teachings and authority.  We also have a Scripture showing that the Apostle John was rejected by a church leader.

The Book of Acts was written by Luke, who was a close associate of Paul, and especially the later chapters of that Book focus on the Apostle Paul up to the time of his imprisonment at Rome.

Paul in Galatians 1:17 through Galatians 2:1 covers briefly his early years.

Apparently Paul and Peter were executed by the Emperor Nero in Rome sometime in the early to mid 60's A.D.  John lived on until the end of the 1st century A.D., a very old man, seeing to the completion and publishing of the New Testament.  At the end, he is associated with the City of Ephesus in Asia Minor.

Like I said, not much true history to go on outside the New Testament.

Take care,

John

Its interesting you mention the early church John because I was looking into the early beliefs of the Christian church and even those that argued universal reconciliation believed very strange pagan doctrines such as one of Origin's teachers who believed Christ preached in hell to the dead after His death using peter's verse on the spirits in prison as his justification. Apparently they did not believe in two or three witnesses. I can't tell you how many times I read early beliefs of the church, even among those who understood the milk of the word, who did not follow the two or three witnesses.

I couldn't believe how quickly heresy crept and took hold in the church. I mean this doctrine of preaching in hell by Christ was written by Clemens of Alexandrius. He also apparently believed in Free will. Though perhaps that is a translation error of some of his earlier writtings, I'm not sure. Either way... this was by the year 190AD.

Mind boggling!

God bless,
Alex

John from Kentucky

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 04:14:12 PM »

That is correct Alex.  The early church was corrupted with a mixture of truth and error.

The New Testament shows that even the church in the 1st century A.D. rejected the Apostles.  And it only got worse from there.

As Jesus said, "Many are called, few are chosen."  There have only been an elect few from the beginning of the true Church on the Day of Pentecost.

indianabob

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 11:33:19 PM »

Thanks Kat and John for your help with the time line shortly after Jesus' ascension.
I'm not much for memorizing chapter and verse, but I find myself better able to recall concepts once I understand them. e.g. it is hard to believe that anyone would believe that Saul/Paul was exercising his own FREE will during his ministry and I had no difficulty dismissing such ideas once I understood his trials.

It is great to be an observer among the true brethren, I-bob
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 23 queries.