bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whence Eternity (Possible teaching!)  (Read 4471 times)

lilitalienboi16

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Whence Eternity (Possible teaching!)
« on: February 20, 2015, 03:09:18 PM »

Hey everyone,

So I just finished reading Alexandre Thompsons Whence eternity for the first time and it was a great read. Its short. I read it here:

I learned two very interesting things that ray may have mentioned but that I did not pick up on the first time. The first being that the word world, or kosmos, in greek, held a very different meaning than it does today. It basically meant the lifetime of men on the earth of that time. A generation or a period of time with beginning and end. Very similar to Aion/Eon/Age.

I quote Alexandre:

"To prove that olm did not and could not stand for eternity, it may be stated that the Greek word kosmos (world, human society) is generally rendered in the Syriac version by olm, as in John 1:10 (thrice), John 17:24 (before olam to be). The Syriac version knew nothing about any eternity."

AION The Syriac Version: The Old Syriac version is thought to have been made from the Greek about the end of the first century or some time in the second century. The language is closely akin to Hebrew, and was very like the Aramaic which was spoken in Palestine side by side with Greek in the first century. To translate the Greek eon and eonian it uses olm, which is exactly the word used in the Hebrew Bible, meaning "obscure" or "obscurity," that is, eonian and eon. The same constructions as occur in the Greek are shewn, such as, from the eon (min olam), for the eon (l-olam), this eon, that eon, for the eons to come, for the eon of the eons (l-olam olmin), conclusion of the eons
."

And more later he says:

"The latter part of the word is ald or elde, meaning age or generation. "World" is therefore defined as "the generation of men." That there is a close connection between the old word world and "eon" was beautifully shewn by the discovery that the ancient Gothic version (about 350 A.D.) at 2. Tim. 4: 10,for "this present world" (Greek: the current eon), reads tho nu ald, "this now age."

So now when I see kosmos, I think of Age because they were so very similar in use and meaning originally.

Here is a good example:

Heb 9:26 "For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world [kosmos]: but now once in the end of the world [Aion] hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself."

The word world is literally Aion in this case but the English translators put world. I think this shows nicely how that Aion and Kosmos are so very closely related in meaning since they are both translated as "world" in english.

This lead me to see that peter is saying the same thing:

1 Peter 1:20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world [Kosmos] , but was manifest in these last times [Chronos ] for you,

So now what am I getting at? Well I'm getting at this second thing I learned. The interesting translation that Alexandre Thompson used in reference to Hebrews 9:26.

He says... "It refers to the outcome or results. Might we not read as follows: "yet now, once, (with a view to complete fruitage of the eons), unto repudiation of sin, through His sacrifice, has He been manifested." That at least is the order in the Greek, which we should not need to twist or mutilate."

That's interesting, "complete fruitage of the eons." I.E. The end result of all the eons that have been was this...

The dictionary defines Fruitage as:

noun fruit·age \ˈfrü-tij\
Definition of FRUITAGE
a :  fruit 
b :  the condition or process of bearing fruit

I'll add this last verse too:

1Co 10:11  Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world [Aion] are come.

1Co 10:11 Now all this befalls them typically. Yet it was written for our admonition, to whom the consummations [The result, the FRUITAGE] of the eons have attained [Arrived at]." (CLV)

To me it makes perfect sense with what Peter says. "These last times...." better understood as "The result" or "fruitage" of the eons! Peter uses the word "chronos" but I believe what he is saying is a spiritual match for what the Hebrew writer and what paul says in Corinthians.

Everything was leading up to this moment in time. So in other words, the conclusions of the eons, not as in the end of all of them that ever will be is upon us, but rather the end result of the eons that have been before us are now made manifest. They have come to fruition or are in the process of bearing fruit. All the apostles, all the old testament prophets, all the writings, even Jesus Christ, was pointing to the salvation of God to come. The manifestation of Christ whom through will come salvation to humanity. We see this process beginning with the elect who are being saved in this eon.

So here is the end of Hebrews:  "So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation." (v. 28)

Anyway... I thought this was really cool and the more I study the scirptuers the more I feel like its all coming together. If this is teaching beyond what is accepted here then I will accept and understand the decisions' by the moderators. If its okay then please feel free to share your thoughts.

God bless,
Alex
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 12:35:24 AM by lilitalienboi16 »
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

microlink

Re: Whence Eternity (Possible teaching!)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 12:27:59 AM »

Yes Alex, a long and difficult read. At least for me. Very worth while. One of my first encounters with truth in addition to Ray's material. One link the that article:

the herald of gods grace/Thomson (link not allowed - but will will take the title out for you, Kat)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 11:04:31 AM by Kat »

lilitalienboi16

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Whence Eternity (Possible teaching!)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 05:44:05 PM »

Yes Alex, a long and difficult read. At least for me. Very worth while. One of my first encounters with truth in addition to Ray's material. One link the that article:

the herald of gods grace/Thomson (link not allowed - but will will take the title out for you, Kat)

Hey Micro,

Thanks for sharing. I haven't read that one but I'll look into it since I think Alexander did a great job with "Whence Eternity!" I'm currently trying to get all the scriptures together that refer to "these last times" or "conclusion [result / fruitage] of the eons" etc... maybe I'll make that post here in this thread when I finally do. Basically I'm just looking further into this subject here.

God bless,
Alex
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.